Teachers trick students with fake Disney trip

Folks, get off the bullying bandwagon. This wasn't bullying in any way shape or form, there was no belittling, no name calling, no attempt to destroy self esteem, there were even any specific kids called out. The amount of hyperbole used in the descriptions here has been amazing. Was it a prank in poor taste, yeah, but the kids aren't destroyed, they aren't scarred for life, most likely, the relationships between the students and their teachers hasn't even been damaged.

The fact that they recorded it, so what? There's been no post of the recording, so they obviously didn't record it to humiliate the kids publicly (greater public, not the school). They got reprimanded, end of story, the only thing giving this legs is those parents who are oh so appalled that the kids might have possibly been exposed to dissappointment, because <sarc>that'll never happen in real life!</sarc>.

Oh, yes, it was bullying!

The point for me really has nothing to do with Disney.

And, I wouldn't tend to call this story, as it played out, bullying. However, if the 12, 13, or 14 yr olds learn by the example of their teachers, and apply this lesson to their own daily life...

If students deceived a friend and everyone around the friend, mislead them for an extended period of time, then told them the truth in a big gotcha moment, which was videotaped so that others could later laugh at the person's disappointment .......Yeah- then it would be called bullying, and the teens would be in trouble.

The point for me really has nothing to do with Disney.

And, I wouldn't tend to call this story, as it played out, bullying. However, if the 12, 13, or 14 yr olds learn by the example of their teachers, and apply this lesson to their own daily life...

If students deceived a friend and everyone around the friend, mislead them for an extended period of time, then told them the truth in a big gotcha moment, which was videotaped so that others could later laugh at the person's disappointment .......Yeah- then it would be called bullying, and the teens would be in trouble.

OK, so you described exactly what these two teachers did. They taped it, showed it to others, laughed and made fun about.

Sooooooo, what about them doing this is *not* bullying as you described?

OK, so you described exactly what these two teachers did. They taped it, showed it to others, laughed and made fun about.

Sooooooo, what about them doing this is *not* bullying as you described?

We don't hold adults to the same standards and labels of behavior that we hold children to. It's ironic, isn't it? I'm not saying it isn't bullying, just that I wouldn't tend to describe it that way, and I think many adults wouldn't.

I think the same adults would call it bullying when a teen does it...which should be eye opening, and illustrate that the behavior is wrong.

So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.

?????
....actually a teacher said she "thought" someone...(not everyone) snooped (and she was not even sure at that)

this was an entire week long Prank.....used brochures, did a powerpoint..etc etc

I think that all involved used VERY poor judgement and
No I do not agree that it was the students faults, at all....

and besides what about the other 49 kids (the ones that did not allegedly snoop!) what did they do wrong? Why are they painted with the same brush as the alleged snoop??

I think they/teachers should be reprimanded as the district deems appropriate but I also think they should have it documented in their personnel files and that a note of apology should be signed and sent to each student they Pranked...

And I come from a family of educators...they'd be mortified to learn this happened in their schools. :sick:

** just wanted to clarify that IMHO "disney" is not the issue,at all as I see it.

?????
....actually a teacher said she "thought" someone...(not everyone) snooped (and she was not even sure at that)

this was an entire week long Prank.....used brochures, did a powerpoint..etc etc

I think that all involved used VERY poor judgement and
No I do not agree that it was the students faults, at all....

and besides what about the other 49 kids (the ones that did not allegedly snoop!) what did they do wrong? Why are they painted with the same brush as the alleged snoop??

I think they/teachers should be reprimanded as the district deems appropriate but I also think they should have it documented in their personnel files and that a note of apology should be signed and sent to each student they Pranked...

And I come from a family of educators...they'd be mortified to learn this happened in their schools. :sick:

** just wanted to clarify that IMHO "disney" is not the issue,at all as I see it.

Yes. It is amazing that we hold children to higher standards that we hold "professional" adults!

Yes it was bullying. You may want to check your knowledge of bullying. Bullying does not only encompass the factors that you named...Trust between us teachers and a student is the most important part of our relationship. The fact that these teachers didn't have enough foresight to think about their students' reactions to the hoax, is very concerning to me as a senior teacher. When I mentor new teachers, this is one of the areas that I really pay special attention to.

Let's just say I have firsthand knowledge of the situation, and it was most definitely done to humiliate the kids under the guise of humour. The climate of the school is very, very tense at the moment...

Should the teachers be fired. Absolutely not. They absolutely should have been disciplined (which happened in private this afternoon). They also need some sensitivity training and a discussion on good judgment.

Tiger

I would love to know how these teachers were disciplined.

Tiger926 said:
As a teacher, these teachers acted with serious bad judgment. We have all had kids who snoop, and we deal with in on an individual basis. End of story.

The climate in this school board is problematic, as the teachers have been withholding extracurricular activities in political protest, so many people are embarassed that they took time to create an elaborate hoax, yet they can't take time to coach basketball or have report card interviews.

As of today, these teachers have been disciplined, but the actual discipline will not be made public, as this was a school board matter, and not a College of Teacher's matter.

As well, the principal delivered an apology to all classrooms, as well as individual students and parents.

These students will not be able to go on a trip to Disney World, as this school board does not allow international trips in elementary school due to insurance liability issues, lack of passports, etc.

The bottom line, is that the teachers acted with serious bad judgment. Mocking, embarassing and insulting children, is not what we are called to do as teachers. These are young kids of 12-13 years old, and at that age, they are very much finding themselves within the larger social community. They have been struggling with this hoax, as it speaks to trust issues with their teachers.

The biggest problem is that to add insult to injury, the teachers showed the entire thing to another class in the school. The teachers acted like bullies, and this is never acceptable.

Tiger

I agree completely.

North of Mouse said:
Yes, Bullying at it's worst. Children being ganged up on by an adult authority figure.

Read this part of the definition again, and please explain how these students were bullied:

Bullying behavior can include teasing, insulting someone (particularly about their weight or height, race, sexuality, religion or other personal traits), shoving, hitting, excluding someone, or gossiping about someone.

Tricked, yes. Bullied? Not even close. Everyone, please reserve dramatic accusations for when they're appropriate.

Read this part of the definition again, and please explain how these students were bullied:

Tricked, yes. Bullied? Not even close. Everyone, please reserve dramatic accusations for when they're appropriate.

Yes, Bullied! Read *all* the definition, not just a small portion of it. It is a case of true bullying of adults toward children.

This is how it happened:

2 grade 8 classes of approx. 30 kids (so about 60 kids in total) with 5 teachers total (2 main teachers and 3 student teachers), were shown an elaborate video, brochures and photos of a end of year grade 8 trip. The kids were encouraged to all yell out that they were, "Going to Disney World!". All kids were passed brochures and photos of the trip, as to build up enthusiasm.

All of the kids were shown this video, and the teachers were recording them. Kids asked questions about how would they afford it, and teachers said that they got cheap flights, so not to worry about it. Teachers then said that they needed to pay close attention to last PowerPoint slide for important information. The last slide was the slide that revealed the hoax.

One of the student teachers was almost in tears, as she realized that the prank had gone too far, based on the despair shown by the kids. Teachers then showed this video to another class in the school.

The school board media relations director said that they were told that the idea for the hoax came from a snooping student. Nobody knows if this is accurate or not. Could have been made up in order to justify their actions.

At this point, the teachers have been privately disciplined by the school board, and kids have had apologies from principal. Offending teachers are not allowed to speak to the media.

Tiger

Those teachers had a lot of extra time on their hands! Usually teachers have too much to do, so much material to cover, extra help for kids, paperwork, etc. These teachers seem to have a lot of free time. Also doing all this during class time? Ridiculous imo.

If the snooping thing is true, what did this accomplish? Someone snooped but they still don't know who. Instead they pranked kids who had nothing to do with the snooping. :confused3

I would love to know how these teachers were disciplined.

Thus far, it is being kept private. Teachers are not allowed to speak to media, and so the discipline is really being kept quiet.

Your definition, which is not the only definition by the way, includes a little word: can.

As soon as the teachers showed the recording to another class, it crossed the line to bullying, in my opinion.

What was the purpose of that, if not to humiliate, tease and mock the students' responses to the prank?

That was quite dramatic, and purposeful, and that is why this whole thing is so problematic.

Tiger

It's disgusting. 13 year olds are still kids. I would have been incredibly disappointed and mistrusting of my teachers from then on.

For a grown adult to pull such a prank on them is just awful.

kaytieeldr said:

There are countless definitions of bullying. Well known author Barb Coloroso ( her book is The Bully, the Bullied and the Bystander) acknowledges several times in this book that pranks and tricks are in fact bullying, especially when there is an imbalance of power. That is clearly the case here.

Has anyone other than the students seen the presentation?

This is how it happened:

2 grade 8 classes of approx. 30 kids (so about 60 kids in total) with 5 teachers total (2 main teachers and 3 student teachers), were shown an elaborate video, brochures and photos of a end of year grade 8 trip. The kids were encouraged to all yell out that they were, "Going to Disney World!". All kids were passed brochures and photos of the trip, as to build up enthusiasm.

All of the kids were shown this video, and the teachers were recording them. Kids asked questions about how would they afford it, and teachers said that they got cheap flights, so not to worry about it. Teachers then said that they needed to pay close attention to last PowerPoint slide for important information. The last slide was the slide that revealed the hoax.

One of the student teachers was almost in tears, as she realized that the prank had gone too far, based on the despair shown by the kids. Teachers then showed this video to another class in the school.

Tiger
How did this take a week? 30 minutes, maybe an hour on the outside. :confused3

Sorry, but after reading many articles, reactions, etc.. I STILL believe this is a First world problem in a bubble wrapped world.

And I find it awful that anyone would label this as bullying. It completely diminishes the severity of the real bullying that some kids are facing. To tell a kid that is getting beat up, emotionally abused, and facing real bulling that what these 8th graders experienced is the same thing, is frankly, in my book, insulting.

I had my kids read up on it without my opinion and they both thought the same thing. It was funny. As for trusting their teachers they both said it wouldn't matter. They would have laughed with the teachers they liked and "ughed" at the teachers they didn't like. And in the words of my 8th grader, "My pop quiz today caused me more emotional distress than that would have"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter