Teachers trick students with fake Disney trip

So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.

I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.

The slide show was alittle much. If it was just that she left the brochure and field trip form it would be alright. I would hope the kids would learn a lesson about snooping and believing rumors. Somehow I don't think thats going to happen when they are blaming the teacher for tricking them and traumatizing them.

So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.

The article says that there was "a suspicions that a student was snooping around a teacher’s desk." They didn't play this prank on just the one student who they thought might be snooping, they did it to the whole class, which I think was a crappy thing to do.

I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the students they were going to Disney, then it's a very mean prank.

I agree.
The slide presentation was too much.

The article says that there was "a suspicions that a student was snooping around a teacher’s desk." They didn't play this prank on just the one student who they thought might be snooping, they did it to the whole class, which I think was a crappy thing to do.

I agree. It says that both classes were brought into a room to see the slide show.

I'm guessing the student who snooped told his friends who told their friends, etc, etc.

I'd need to see some more information on the slide presentation to see if it went too far. Did they use pictures & phrases with double meanings, and the students, already thinking "Disney World", thought it just solidified their thoughts, but it actually applied to the bowling(?) trip also?

Again, if the student hadn't snooped, would the kids still have been as "devastated":rolleyes:? If the answer is "no", then the kids are at fault. If the answer is "yes", then the teachers might have gone too far.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.

I agree, the slideshow and "gotcha!" is going too far. A simple announcement "the rumors of a trip are false" would have been enough.

The slideshow went a little too far IMO, but filming the kids' reactions was way over the line.

But in the end, how were these kids really hurt? So they were disappointed, but they learned a lesson. It's hardly something that would have caused me to be "enraged." I would probably tell my kids that they should not have snooped, and should not have believed information that came to them via snooping.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...hers_into_believing_in_disney_world_trip.html

Some Grade 8 teachers tricked some students into thinking they were going on a trip to Disney. Apparently it was to teach a lesson to some students who were snooping.

To me, it is no big deal. These are Grade 8's. I might feel bad it is they were little kids.

Just wondering what everyone thinks?
:coffee:

So, the *whole* 8th grade gets punished because of suspicions of some snooping? That is WRONG on so many levels. :sad2:

This might have been a huge dream come true for some students that never thought it would have been possible for them to go to Disney otherwise.

I would have been one :furious: parent had that happened to my child.

Children that age can get so excited easily and most would have been trusting their teachers. There are ways to punish the guilty without punishing the 98% (?) that didn't deserve such a underhanded mean thing to do.

I would not blame my child for *not* trusting that teacher again, and this is coming from a mom that *always* got both sides to student/teacher situations. I never took up for my kids *just because*. This really makes my blood boil. :sad2:

What lesson did they learn? Don't trust teachers? 60 kids were tricked to punish 1 who snooped and probably started a rumor. So the other 59 kids were punished for hearing a rumor?

Those teachers should be fired. It was an abuse of power.

Regarding the parents who were upset, did they think the school was paying for this trip? They would have been stuck doing fundraisers.

OK, flame me all you want but that last line in the article was ridiculous. "I do believe the teachers have realized the gravity of it". For pete's sake, it was a trip to Disney, and it was a disappointment, but it wasn't grave. Why do we keep treating our kids (14 year olds at that) like some fragile creatures.

I don't know the details of why the teachers did this. Maybe there was had been a repeated snooping issue, maybe not. But to call is GRAVE is a bit over the top as well.

Bottom line, if they hadn't been snooping and rumors flown, the slide presentation wouldn't have created a big disappointment. There is a lesson to be learned here by the kids as well and now, we will jump on the teachers, and the kids responsibility in this will be lost.

DebbieB said:
Regarding the parents who were upset, did they think the school was paying for this trip? They would have been stuck doing fundraisers.

The parents were upset that the kids were tricked. None of them even knew about it.

One kid even spoke up during the presentation and asked about the plane tickets because he was worried about the expense the teachers told him that they got extremely cheap fares.

Well, that teacher just lost all credibility. She's a liar, no better than the alleged snooping student. IMO, she should be disciplined by the principal.

The slideshow went a little too far IMO, but filming the kids' reactions was way over the line.

But in the end, how were these kids really hurt? So they were disappointed, but they learned a lesson. It's hardly something that would have caused me to be "enraged." I would probably tell my kids that they should not have snooped, and should not have believed information that came to them via snooping.

So, what about the ones that weren't guilty? Do you remember what you felt at that age? Well, I do, and it's been many moons ago. I would have been one of those children (that didn't snoop) that would have been *on top of the world* for the opportunity to go to Disney. You posted like the whole class was guilty. :confused3

Children that age (13) are in an emotional turmoil already. They don't need any *authority* figure to lead them on so outrageously.

Don't know if you have a young teen, or where in this he/she would have been (guilty/not), but I feel their pain/confusion/hurt. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter