Tea Recipes?

MommieMommie!

Mouseketeer
My Brownie troop will be hosting a "Grandparents Tea" in the spring and I am looking for a couple of teas to offer. I would like both hot and cold varieties along with tea sandwiches and the like. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you looking for recipes using tea or just recipes for food to serve with it? There are a ton of varieties of teas at the grocery store. There are several varieties of black teas that have slightly different flavors, and then there are flavored teas in both herbal and black varieties. For Brownies, I would have at least one herbal variety since they're caffiene free.

Finger sandwiches are always good with tea. I make a chicken salad recipe that makes great finger sandwiches. I combine shredded chicken (cooked in the crockpot) with mayo, orange juice, white wine vinegar, and Creole seasoning. I can't tell you what the measurements are since I never measure, but it's hard to mess up. Just use a splash of the OJ and vinegar, and add the seasoning slowly to taste.

Muffins and scones are also good. You can make a bunch of different kinds of mini muffins ahead of time and keep them in the freezer.

Stash makes a decaf Chai that is great. It is very flavorful. You brew it, then add milk and sugar and my nephew loves it when he comes to visit. You can always add flavor to iced tea by using a couple bags of herbal or flavored tea in place of a couple of the regular bags.

One thing my sister and I liked when we had tea parties as kids was cream cheese sandwiches. We used to use thin bread, spread with a layer of cream cheese and a layer of strawberry jam. You can use cookie cutter to cut it into shapes.

Celestial Seasonings makes an herbal tea called "Mandarin Orange Spice" that everyone here loves! Even without any sweetener of any kind it tastes a little sweet.

Kermit's chicken salad recipe has been a real hit here also. I don't have any Creole seasoning in the house, but I've used ground celery seed and a bit of garlic powder - mmmm. Oh - and I just used the regular red wine vinegar, as I didn't have the white. . . . I guess that means it isn't really Kermit's. :(

DD wanted to make it the other week & "just 'til it looks right" doesn't do much for her. I gave her the following estimates & it was great! I mix the dressing seperately & then add it to the chicken, so I don't know how much chicken it actually covers.

1 cup mayo
2 Tbl orange juice
1 Tbl wine vinegar
1 tsp seasoning

If you like the dressing thinner, just add more OJ.

Another "salad" for tea sandwiches that goes over well here, it actually the filling for Crab Rangoon. Just spread it thin & cut off the crusts.

1/2 lb crabmeat (I use the fake stuff)
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp A-1 Steak Sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder

I'd go with an orange or raspberry iced tea. Celestial Seasonings are all good. You can't go wrong there.

I'd probably do the chicken salad and also cream cheese with jelly sandwiches. Probably the most appealing to the girls at that age. Maybe some cakes or scones to go with it.

I would recommend Earl Grey and Darjarling. The Darjarling is milder in flavor. Also, Scones are a traditional tea accompanyment and are as easy to make as biscuits. You might be able to buy them at a bakery or cake shop.

do you have a gloria jeans in a mall near you? check there. they have a wonderful selection of teas and you can taste what the different flavors taste like before you buy. (they let me do this) I have to have caffeine free but I hate herbal teas. so I buy the decaf flavored ones. they have all kinds of ideas for teas too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter