Target REDcard to save 5%

Castaway Kev

I'd like to eat at Club 33 just once in my life.
I heard about the possibility of saving 5% off of Disney purchases (passes, packages, tickets, in-park) by buying Disney Gift Cards at Target and using their REDcard to pay for them.

I note in the terms and conditions for the REDcard that the 5% discount does not apply to Target gift cards and prepaid cards. I asked at the register and called the 800 to question this, and they both told me that they don't apply the 5% discount to ANY giftcards.

Could someone please clarify how they have made this work with Target?

I'm looking to buy APs for DL with the DVC discount, and would love to save another 5%. I understand Target sales Disney giftcards in $50 increments, so I would have to buy about 34 of them, and then take them to the local Disney Store to have them combined into one card for payment.

It does work with Disney gift cards. I believe it's because they are considered "entertainment" cards. I have bought several of them with my Target RedCard. I don't even bother asking the cashier as the discount comes off automatically after swiping the card. If it ever didn't work, I would just return them before leaving the store.

It works. I paid for my trip this way. I also stacked it with another 5% off using the Target pharmacy rewards.

It saved me $284 off the top of my trip. I will do it again next month to buy our souvenir money in Gift Cards.

I did also call my bank & the 1-800 number on the back of the Target card, just to give them a heads up that I was spending that much money.

gocubsgo said:
Can you use Disney gift cards to pay at disneyworld restaurants or shops?

We paid for our entire trip (tickets/room package, souvenirs, everything. We just charged to the room and paid up every few days with gift cards). All together, with different promotions (at one point, Target had a spend $50, get $10 promo, my grocery store also sells gift cards and you save on gas) I saved around $800 on our 10 day trip. It was definitely the way to go.

The policy is - you don't get the 5% off on TARGET gift cards. Disney gift cards are considered entertainment cards by Target, and they do get the 5% off.

Also, when the cashier tells you to total, it will be for the full amount. The 5% comes off after you swipe your RedCard. This confused the heck out of me the first time I tried it. I asked the cashier and she kept telling me that gift cards don't count. I went to customer service, etc., because I didn't realize that the cashier has nothing to do with it. And no one there could give me the correct answer. They will tell you the total without the discount. Just swipe your card and the 5% will come off. The cashiers and customer service people usually have no idea.

And yes, we have used them to pay for everything. We just charge everything to our room and every couple of days take the gift cards down to the front desk and pay for what we have charged so far. Works out great and doesn't take long if you go when there is no line at the front desk.

The display where they are located at my Target is even called "Entertainment Cards."

(FYI - Visa & AmEx cards are also considered "gift cards" instead of entertainment at Target).

Thanks for all the explanations. It's exactly what I needed to know!

so I would have to buy about 34 of them, and then take them to the local Disney Store to have them combined into one card for payment.

Not many Disney Stores will combine them for you. If you're local one will, then you're very lucky!

And some people have been lucky getting MS to take multiple GC for purchasing tickets. Just beware it's not standard procedure.

Don't get your hopes up too much about getting them combined though. On a recent DisUnplugged podcast, it was mentioned that it could be done (maybe at one point). But a few people on here recently tried, and said that it couldn't.

You can't combine them at the store. But you can buy your tickets there, and link them in MDE. They can only take 2 gift cards online or over the phone for tickets. Not sure about hotel. I believe you can pay with them when you get there.

Disney Cruise will take multiple cards over the phone.

When you guys say charge to the room - is that with your magic band? So we can charge everything with magic band, and just pay it off at the hotel with our gift cards? What if the hotel is already paid in full? How would that work?

We have bought a bunch of Disney gift cards at Target with the 5% Red card and 5% pharmacy rewards discounts to pay for our cruise with no problems. We just paid it all off a few weeks ago.

If you don't charge to the room, can you pay with a gift card at restaurants or shops at disneyworld?

If you don't charge to the room, can you pay with a gift card at restaurants or shops at disneyworld?

Yes! Just about every where that is run by Disney. Rarely there are some vendors/kiosks that can only accept cash or credit.

Yes! Just about every where that is run by Disney. Rarely there are some vendors/kiosks that can only accept cash or credit.

So this applies also to counter service? I don't want to do the dining plan as it would cost too much, but thought about getting a pre-paid visa and using it instead. I don't like carrying a lot of cash and am leery about carrying my debit card with me everywhere. Plus, I could get my bank account overdrawn quickly if I use it constantly. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter