Talking Mickey- yay or nay?

So, how do you explain to the kids that sometimes Mickey talks and sometimes he doesn't? We've avoided seeing Talking Mickey because I didn't feel like trying to explain why Mickey at Epcot won't talk. Ideas?

Because his home is at the magic kingdom, and more magic is there or some nonsense like that. Kids are smart sometimes they come up with their own conclusions.

We love talking Mickey!!! It brings another level to the character meet and greet that the kids loved!!

I'll be the lone dissenter and say my 11 year old hated it. Was creeped out by him. I thought it was cute but she did not.

My boys loved meeting Talking Mickey earlier this month:). He had them all pretend to be pirates. Very cute! We waited about half an hour, but I couldn't complain much since were were in the a/c and out of the sun! I had asked the cm if this was the "talking Mickey" and he told me that sometimes Mickey talks and sometimes he needs to save his voice. That might be one way to explain it.

We have never done this.. trying to decide if we should make it a priority this trip on our 3rd MK day since we will have hit most of our must-do's! I feel like I have heard mixed reviews about this! I have a DS5 and a DD7 who are not normally scared of characters but sometimes get a little "star-struck"!

TIA!
Yes. My son's meeting with talking Mickey was one of our most special moments ever at WDW.

Where is he located?

Inside the Town Square Theater, seen below.

MK-Town-SquareFPParade_031815_zpsy6asxkjs.jpg

Talking Mickey is like those toys with the pull string in back. He can only say a few things and he can't answer any question you ask him.

When my kids asked why Mickey talks and the other costume characters don't I just said I didn't know. I then told them that Cinderella can talk. So it's not just Mickey who talks. I don't know why it's like that. It's weird isn't it?

Then you kind of put it back on them. If they are young enough to believe Mickey is really Mickey then they won't realize the difference between Cinderella being a person and Mickey being a costume. So all characters, costumed and face, are equal to them. This works well until 5 or so.

LOVED IT for our kids too! Our DD(6) had a plush Pluto with her when we met him. He picked up the plush from my daughter, held it up in the air and said, "PLUTO! YOU SHRUNK!"

My daughter still remembers it and laughs about how Mickey must have thought that was the real Pluto!

We used a fast pass on talking Mickey during two different trips and BOTH times he was not talking. Also, it took 45min WITH a fast pass to see a Mickey that was not talking. So it's not guaranteed that he will talk. If the wait is short, sounds like it might be worth it but just know he is not always talking.

Yes! We went for our first trip in March and I got Fastpass (not necessary) so that I would guarantee my son, who LOVES Mickey would get to see him quickly. Normally, my son (2) is scared of masked characters, but he was telling Mickey all about his Mickey Mouse shoes and the Mickey head on his magic band. It was great. I don't even feel like I wasted a Fastpass on it since nothing we were all able to do had a really long line except for the railroad which isn't fastpassable.

Talking Mickey is the best! On our family trip in June, my son had been to the pirate league and gotten dressed up like Captain Jack Sparrow. Mickey talked to my son about his pirate costume and they sang "yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me." My son was so impressed that Mickey liked his pirate look.

My kids love it. It's one of the few characters they remember from our last trip. They are still pretty young. Mickey sang my son Happy Birthday and my son still talks about how his friend Mickey sang to him.
Did you tell them it was his birthday or did they recognize it from your magic band? The reason I ask is, we are going on my daughter's actual birthday this year and she would be thrilled if Mickey sang to her. I would just like to know if I should ask a cast member when we go in. Thanks

Did you tell them it was his birthday or did they recognize it from your magic band? The reason I ask is, we are going on my daughter's actual birthday this year and she would be thrilled if Mickey sang to her. I would just like to know if I should ask a cast member when we go in. Thanks
A couple years ago he sang to my daughter as she was wearing a Birthday button. Last year, my son was being super shy so I just said something like "why don't you tell Mickey how excited you are to see him for your birthday?", not wearing a button. We did not ask for it either time, it was Mickey's idea, but we were super excited by it.

My boys loved meeting Talking Mickey earlier this month:). He had them all pretend to be pirates. Very cute! We waited about half an hour, but I couldn't complain much since were were in the a/c and out of the sun! I had asked the cm if this was the "talking Mickey" and he told me that sometimes Mickey talks and sometimes he needs to save his voice. That might be one way to explain it.
Wow so he doesn't always talk at this location? That would be a real bummer since we will be meeting Mickey other times during the trip and would ONLY make time for this if he was talking!!!

Wow so he doesn't always talk at this location? That would be a real bummer since we will be meeting Mickey other times during the trip and would ONLY make time for this if he was talking!!!
It isn't guaranteed that Mickey will be talking. All the components of the meet and greet have to be functioning for Mickey to speak.

He's seems to be a more reliable speaker lately but it's still best not to tell the little ones that Mickey talks, just in case Mickey's having a bad day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter