Talk to me about strollers onboard/in port

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kileybeth, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kileybeth

kileybeth DIS Veteran

This will be our first cruise. I am addicted to my strollers.

I **think** since it is not 10-14 miles a day of walking around WDW I can forgo bringing one for our 6 year old (altho he certainly used one in Sept at the World a lot!) BUT how about the 3 year old?

Are there threads about this? I looked but couldn't find much.

Also, I have a very small easy to fold lightweight Maclaren that I love. I'm thinking Ports it may be a plus?

I read CC and the ship have rentals or are they free? Does anyone have a picture of what's available?

How wide are the halls and other areas on board?

Any and all info greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cats mom

cats mom Mouseketeer<br><br><font color=green>Has a wild an

It won't always be easy to navigate a stroller around the ship, whether it's small and lightweight or not. There are definitely some narrow hallways and congested areas. Using a stroller also means you'll be waiting on elevators, and personally I find taking the stairs to be a much better option most of the time. Given the ages of your kids I really don't think you'll need one on the ship.

Depending on what your plans are you might want one in port though.

Hopefully someone else will give you info on what DCL has available as I'm not much help there.

4. golfermike35

golfermike35 Vacation Fans

I posted a thread several days regarding strollers and all of the replys indicated that it might be a good idea. We'll have a 13 month old with us on the May 2nd Western and were hoping to bring the stroller to the pools and dinning rooms. After all the replies that I received I plan on bringing our stroller.

5. kileybeth

kileybeth DIS Veteran

golfermike, can you provide a link for that post? I'm a dunce when it comes to finding old post. Not sure how I missed it.

catsmom, that's exactly what I was thinking. Altho, being somewhat walking impaired myself I often opt for the elevator anyway but really hate to be a burden on others room wise as well. I am having a hard time envisioning how much walking there actually is on a cruise ship for a little one.

We have late dining (on purpose) and figure we will have a few nights where one or both kids fall asleep. I can not carry them and my DH would prefer not to carry them very far (older parents we are! often mistaken for the grandparents!)

others have any thots? love to hear from you.

6. mousebrat

mousebrat DIS Veteran

We had a jeep wrangler umbrella stroller that we used with our 16 month old. We had no problems on the elevators. But we only used it to go to meals usually. At Castaway Cay we grabbed a wagon getting off the tram to haul DS and our stuff. I can't recall what we did at Nasaau as we just got off the ship and almost immediately got back on--Sea Day for us!

7. cats mom

8. golfermike35

golfermike35 Vacation Fans

Thanks Cats Mom! :cool1:

9. kileybeth

kileybeth DIS Veteran

yes, thank you cats mom and golfer mike.

that thread was worth it just to see that adorable little one fast asleep on the dinner table! precious!

mousebrat, so you said you grabbed a wagon on CC? Disney provided? a fee? any pics? I admit it is me and my baglady mentality that needs that stroller/wagon as much as anyone! hehe

10. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

There are several wagons on CC that are free for the day on a first come first served basis. They are a basic Little Tykes style wagon for toting things in.

11. disney kat

disney kat Earning My Ears

We brought our jogging stroller (not small) and had no problems getting around. The elevators were actually bigger than I had imagined. We used the stroller to get our son to fall asleep and it gave us a lot of time to roam the ship, or whatever. I loved that I wasn't stuck in the room waiting for his nap to be over. I shopped, walked deck 4, and looked through photos at Shutters once he fell asleep...it was great! I could always take him back to the room to finish his nap in the stroller, if need be. As I said in the other thread, he slept through dinner a couple of times.

The stroller spent most of it's time folded up in one of the showers in our room...had connecting rooms. It fit through the doorway, with not much room to spare. We basically just used it for naps and on port days. Our son usually wanted to walk and be like his siblings, but sometimes it's just safer for him to be in it and then we insisted.

I understand your stroller addiction :) This is the first trip in a long time where we didn't bring our side-by-side.

12. disneygirl1213

disneygirl1213 Mouseketeer

We have a 4 year old and didn't bring a stroller for the first time on vacation. But, after she fell asleep at the dinner table and we still wanted to go up to the Pirate party, I stopped at guest relations and borrowed one. You have to agree to a $150 deposit, but it's no big deal. It was great. We danced on deck 9 and she slept. If I had known better, I would have borrowed it when we got off at Key West because we had no planned excursions but to walk around and she was complaining about the heat and having to walk about 20 feet off the ship. You have to go to guest services though, they don't have them where you get off the ship.. Unless you are toting a 12 pounder or less, I say plan to borrow a stroller or at least pack an umbrella type that would be small enough for the hallways. Good Luck!

13. cats mom

I promise I wasn't trying to discourage the OP from using a stroller, just trying to give her a heads up about space issues as I saw them.

It's been years since we've needed a stroller, but my DD did have to use a wheelchair last cruise. There were definitely times when trying to get around with it was an issue.

We got caught in a crush in the atrium one night that was downright miserable, and we were just trying to get to our assigned dinner seating. We waited almost 20 minutes for an elevator coming back onboard one port day, (of course there were folks who pushed in front of us who didn't wait at all) Shutters can be shoulder to shoulder at times, and the shops can get very crowded too. For most room locations navigating around the cleaning carts can be challenging even if no one else is in the hallway at the time. And you must have had table locations that were better for parking a wheelchair/stroller than some of ours were.

Obviously some of those places/situations can be avoided... but I still say that when you're on a cruise ship with thousands of other folks; you may very well run into some space issues when you're trying to navigate with a wheelchair or a stoller.

14. kileybeth

kileybeth DIS Veteran

no worries cats mom I took it as just information no judgement or discouragement at all. And truthfully, I tend to agree, it is rather inconvenient most of the time but I still think for those late nights and dinner naps, it is a lifesaver.

I keep my DH around for stroller discouragement (HA!) and I still use them. He has been trying to get me to give up the second stroller at WDW for years now and I just tell him then he will be the one carrying the dead weight around, not me and he usually just lets it go. He really just doesn't want to be the one pushing the blasted thing!

So back to borrowing from DCL, so you just secure with a credit card and off you go? I thought somehow those strolers were just for onbaord and castaway cay but I coud get one for Key West or Cozumel as well huh? hhmmm, interesting.

Still wondering what kind of strollers these are. I got the wagon thing for Castaway Cay. Maybe I will search the picture thread and see something.

gotta say though, I'm leaning towards my own super lightweight, throw it over my shoulder or toss it in a closet if I don't want to use it one from home.

15. 3mmm

3mmm Mouseketeer

The first time we cruised the strollers were awful - I checked because I had a big double - but they were just as bad and old, but on the med cruise they were nice - I think they were baby jogger - full size but still fairly compact, folded great. We admired a family who used two of them all cruise and finally talked to them about them - they loved them - used them on every excursion. Unfortunately, they were using them because the airlines lost both of their strollers on route to Barcelona. What I don't know is if they were able to use them off boat because of their circumstances or if anyone can. Also, how many do they have. They were the only two I saw the entire 11 days. If you really want a stroller I would bring my own.

I twice used the Graco double, which yes can be tough on the boat. The last time I used my Bugaboo and it was perfect. We too discovered the shower as a great storage place. My son was 6 months old and we took that stroller with us absolutely everywhere - no problems. And it was great for walking the decks on 9 at midnight when he and I were the only ones awake.

16. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

We didn't take the stroller for the first time on the cruise last year when the kids were almost 8 and 10. We have used them every single cruise up until they were 6 and 8 though without any problems both using our own and the ship's strollers, and we rented a double at WDW this past week. I believe kids who are not worn out from walking all over are happier kids. I know my legs are killing me from the nearly 70,000 steps I took.

17. aussieinvasion

aussieinvasion Must remember to pack the Vegemite...

Hey Kileybeth!!

We are bringing our stroller for our DD (turns 3 on pirate night yay!!). Its a fold up one that goes into a bag and is small enough to take as carry on bag. We mainly intend on using it for shore days and night times.