Tales from the Supermarket

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by LuvsDragonflies, Feb 8, 2013.

1. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

:scared: I just gagged. :scared:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LuvsDragonflies

LuvsDragonflies DIS Veteran

:laughing::scared: Too much! The public, ya gotta love them, and stand far enough away so they can't touch ya.

PSA, PLEASE if you are putting your infant carseat on top of the seating area, either pull up the handle so the the seat locks onto it, or make sure you remove the seat before rattling to the parking lot. That seat is NOT secure and can fall off onto the road on your way to the car. Yes, it's happened.

4. malibuconlee

malibuconlee <font color=red>OOH - I think I've finally figured

I remember working at our small town Wal-Mart when I was just out of high school and still living with my mother. I would ALWAYS get the parent that comes in, stands as close as possible to whisper and ask "Where is the stuff for lice?"

I would show them then scratch my head the rest of the day and when I would get home beg my mom to "Check my head, check my head!"

We also had the poop on the walls. Mostly in the bathroom at the snack bar.

Actually that's one of the worst things about Wal-Mart stores...the bathrooms are universally disgusting!

5. Becky2005

Becky2005 <font color=darkorchid>I actually thought they mad

I've got that one beat & I was brand new too!!! Talk about "EWWWW" factor. It was the local homeless guy (trust me...he told you and everyone he was homeless, needed a shower to get rid of an ear infection and his brother was the lead singer of Chicago but quit right before they got big!)...anyway....he literally took his boot off (had to go sit down to do it) to get his money out of his shoe. GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness we do have hand sanitizer around....I think I just had the look of shock & horror when he did that. He had been in before but this was the first time we had the boot issue. You know...as much as people don't like self check-out -- I was beyond thrilled the last time he was in and used it. I did not have to touch the money.

6. cybrkitn

cybrkitn We called it Bonko

Nice come back!

I just went grocery shopping yesterday (my usual day for food shopping). The store was a bit crowded for a Wednesday late morning. But more snow was forcasted and everyone had to do their shopping :headache: (btw, we only got a dusting this morning). I'm patiently waiting on line at the register and I look at the woman's cart in front of me. Nothing out of the ordinary except for that one package of Valentine's marshmallow candy (similar to Peeps) that she practically had eaten before paying for it. I can't stand when people take things off the shelf, open it and start eating it prior to paying. No matter how you look at it, it's stealing. It doesn't matter that you are "going" to pay for it before you leave. Stealing, is stealing. I guess her stomach couldn't wait until after she was done paying for everything.

My whole issue with the above is that a lot of people pay using their debit card and don't have cash or a checkbook on hand. So their screwed if their card is declined (or the card machines are down) and they have no other way to pay for it.

7. AmericangirlinFrance

AmericangirlinFrance DIS Veteran

Oh, that is my pet peeve - people opening food and eating it in the store while they are shopping. Really, you can't wait at least until you get out to your car to open that bag of chips? :crazy2:

8. Becky2005

Becky2005 <font color=darkorchid>I actually thought they mad

I always wonder what would happen in that situation because if you can't pay for it, then you stole it! Now, you may have full intention of paying for it but I can not tell you how many times someone's debit/credit card has been declined and they were totally surprised and had to leave their stuff because they had no other form of payment.

Cards can get locked for just about anything especially with the increase in fraud, etc...

We have had our system crash where we could only take cash for a while. THAT was fun.

I had a dad who was LIVID with his teenage son because he opened a can of pop in the store before they paid. The teen was dumbfounded that it would be a problem. I could tell the dad was ticked that he had done so, the son tried dragging me into the situation by asking me if it was a problem that he had opened it while in the store. I just answered with "what would have happened if you couldn't have paid for it?" type of answer. We aren't a grocery store....so our pop is expensive!

I know people do it and I have seen situations where they are desperate so that (i.e. kid has bloody nose, so they grab Kleenex off the shelf to deal with the situation) and pay for the box afterwards. In that case, as much as I don't like it in general -- I could understand it...besides...who wants a trail of blood everywhere?

I'm very old school though and can't even fathom the concept of bringing food/drink into any old store since this was before they had Starbuck's in every other store. It just wasn't even a concept....I was at a shop that sells vintage/special occassion dresses and 2 girls walked in with ice cream...the owner did tell them they needed to put that down on the counter as to not get ice cream all over the dresses. It would never even occurred to me to walk into a random shop while eating ice cream. I would think it wouldn't be allowed but no one thinks twice about it now.

9. jen0610

jen0610 DIS Veteran

For a short time I worked in an attorney’s office, one building with multiple independent lawyers. One of them had several clients that worked in gentleman clubs. Each lawyer’s assistants had to take a turn filling in at the reception desk. We all hated to work that shift on Mondays. It never failed that we would have multiple clients for this one lawyer that would come in to pay on their fees. And it never failed that they would pull a stack of one’s and some times five’s out of their purse and had it to us. Ewwwww. You know there that was just a couple of nights ago and I, along with the rest of assistants, really hated touching that money.

10. zoo2tycoon

zoo2tycoon DIS Veteran

Why do people take up the entire aisle...turn the cart sideways...walk 3 wide and not move when you nicely say excuse me. I was in Sam's yesterday with the super wide aisle. A family (some of which were pooh sized) took up the entire aisle---I just stood there, said excuse me and they looked at me like I did something wrong. I just wanted to get by and get my items.

Also people who don't have money ready or checks as other state. Or who go to U-Scan aisle and don't know how to use it! Don't go there if you can't use it.

11. joviroxx

joviroxx <font color=blue>rectally reporters television pro

Never gave much thought to eating before paying. Most of grocery stores here have areas with tables next to the deli to sit down and eat. Order a sub,sit down and eat, then pay.

Have you ever experienced the ones yelling at the deli clerk because they had asked for only 4 slices of cheese and they were giving her 5? Yep, they order by slice..... 3 of one thing, 2 of another....

12. cybrkitn

cybrkitn We called it Bonko

That's a bit of a different situation. In this case, it's set up that way (just like going to a TS restaurant). In the case that I had seen yesterday, it was taken off the grocery shelf opened and partially eaten before getting to the register.

13. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

:lmao::lmao::thumbsup2

I have a friend who does a magic show, his assistant wears a balloon bikini. He made it, he also does incredible balloon creations. :)
    :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I hope they didn't put the other shoe on the shelf so she could buy them.....hahahahaha that's so crazy. and the second story, ewwwwwwwwww

OP your post cracked me up......made me smile and laugh. :)

14. TheAviator

TheAviator <font color=blue>I don't always live dangerously,

So do you any of you ladies think the grocery store is an appropriate place to meet someone? :rotfl2: Reason I ask is this one particular Kroger I go to, nice area, has a good deli, seems to always have tons of major hotties in there :) I've thought about starting to do all my shopping there just in case I actually am able to strike up a conversation with one. Sad I know.

15. Soldier's*Sweeties

Soldier's*Sweeties DIS Veteran

I think you can meet people anywhere!

Check out their carts... You can tell a lot about a person by their groceries! LOL

16. LongLiveDisney

LongLiveDisney DIS Veteran

Tag worthy!

17. ellone

ellone DIS Veteran

I've had to do it for the kids. In fact yesterday we were at Target and I put a couple boxes of Annie's cheddar bunny crackers in the cart. My 16 month old saw them and started screeching. She would not stop - wanted to stop the stares so I opened a box and gave her a few. She instantly stopped screeching.

18. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

:popcorn

19. TheAviator

TheAviator <font color=blue>I don't always live dangerously,

Well it was totally not an original idea. There was a whole episode about this on Happy Days, where Fonzie told Richie a good way to meet girls is to run his shopping cart into a girl he was trying to meet. :rotfl2: I will not assault anyone with my shopping cart.

One time a lady offered me a coupon of something I was taking off the shelf. :cool1:

20. sunshinehighway

sunshinehighway DIS Veteran

If you can't pay for it the store will consider it stolen. My mother works in a store and she had a situation where a woman gave her kids soup (hot soup that's in with the take home meals) to eat while she shopped. She tried dumping the cups before checkout but my mom had seen them so she was keeping an eye on it. She didn't have money to pay for the soup. Her choices were either call someone to bring her money or talk to the police.

21. LBIJim

LBIJim Satisfied With Four

Sure, act dumb and ask one of the hotties her opinion about which type of ham or turkey or cheese is the best. Or in the produce department ask how to pick out a good mango or something. But don't get crude with suggestive comments about cucumbers or bananas.

About 20 years ago a local supermarket actually had a Singles Night. I never went, but apparently they a table set up with free coffee or juice and snacks. It must have been successful, because it lasted a least half a dozen years.

Yep, one of my favorite things at the supermarket is to check out other peoples' carts and form instant opinions about their lives.

Jim