Taking your kids out of school?

and a navy blue cap....ahhhh! What will Spidey wear for this festive occasion I wonder? Wonder if he would like to wear a GB Suit - maybe he would like a red one? :D

We took our kids out of school twice in three years for a week to go to Disney. The teachers never had a problem with it, and we let them know ahead of time. I requested all homework and in school work be sent home before the Christmas break and I made them do it all over the break. (we went both times the week after the Christmas/new years break when everyone was going home). All the work was completed and sent back. Both kids do really well in school so it didn't hurt them in the least, and they are still young so I can explain and correct the homework. If they didn't do so well in school or when it gets to the point when they are older where I could not do the work with them or correct it, I would not pull them out. At younger ages or for students who do really well, I see no problem.

Wow! Being taken out a week at a time! And the week after Christmas Break, no less! Could you imagine?! How much time I could be at Universal Studios to see the ghostbusters??? I think I'd set a record!

Somebody send me some bottled Zephyrhills for a present...I'll need to replace those bodily fluids after all the drooling!! ;) ;) ;)

(( Muahahahahaha :tongue: ))

Oh no you don't. No GB talk....LOL..... But for the record. Yes, we would like to check it out. Waiting on that review Fly Fly......will that show be out on Thanksgiving?

LOL ;)

Anyway, I heard the Holiday show started on November 21 already...so it's most likely going on...I hope I'm not disappointed...but I don't think I will...but I am looking forward to a certain part that they had last year...to see if they have it this year (get some blackmail photos, you know??). I only heard about it last year, but never saw it in person...

But yes, review will be as soon as I get back!! I think it'll even get its own thread! :tongue:

Selina, if only the US were as enlightened as the UK! Imagine, kids being enriched by a family vacation! What a concept! In my district, I think they could actually try to put me in jail for taking my DD out for 10 days in a semester. No, I'm not joking. I'm sweating taking her out two days early at Christmas break for a cruise. Her teachers are within their rights to give her zeroes for those days, even though she is an A student. The really irritating thing about it is, she could learn any new material covered in a week in a couple of hours. It's the amount of WORK she would have to make up that makes it so difficult. Diana

Tay N Evie's Mom - I wouldn't worry too much about having to be confrontational with your school. I was concerned about how my request to pull my kids out of school (3rd grade & kindergarten) for 6 school days would be received, but it was much easier than I thought it would be. I wrote a letter (I can send you a copy of what I said if you'd like, it sounded pretty good if I do say so myself ;) ) about the educational benefits of our vacation and I was told the principal would either approve or deny our request. It was approved and my kids' teachers sent homework for them do before we left and they just finished it (we've been back a little over a week). Since teachers work full-time like most of us have to, I think most should understand how hard it is to find time to spend with your children where you can just have fun! We never took vacations when I was growing up since we couldn't afford to. It's important to me to give my kids that opportunity and if I can only do that during the school year, it's going to take priority.

Good luck!
:D

I used to add several school days for my son and I to make our annual trips to WDW in January. That is until he hit high school. Our school district has a 5 day per semester absence rule for high schoolers. No matter if it's an excused or unexcused absence, if he misses more than 5 days he gets a zero in each course. I no longer take extra days for fear he'll get sick and miss time. I hoard those 5 days!

If it weren't for the school rules I'd continue to take my kid out of school. I work hard at a stressful job, I'm a single parent, and these trips work wonders for our relationship. We now make our trips to WDW & US/IOA during summer or school vacations (if we can manage the increased airfare). As my son gets older these trips become much more important to me. I'm afraid he's going to outgrow trips with his mom very soon.

Take your kids out of school and have a great vacation. Take it from the mom of a 17 year old who still remembers her son's 1st trip to WDW when he was 2, they don't stay small long. It seems like yesterday. Enjoy the time you have to spend with them. I think our attitudes toward school the other weeks and months of the year are enough to counteract a few days missed for a family vacation.

Carolyn

My mom is taking me out Wednesday (I mean...I'm coming down with the flu....*cough cough*) to go to Universal...even though we are going the Saturday after. :p One day at a time isn't so bad. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter