Taking the bump - now 10 - back to disney. may 16

OurLuce

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I've been lurking since we booked the holiday, way back in June '15. We aren't going till May '16. So I finally joined up and decided to write a pre-trip report to share my excitement with people who understand :-) (hopefully someone will read this!).

So about us:
I'm in my late 40's (so when exactly did that happen?), and live in the UK. I have been to Disney several times, mainly back in the 90's with my Dad and various friends and hangers on. We stayed off site (at vistana) so only spent a few days in the parks each time. Last time I went to Florida was in June 2005, I dragged other half (OH) around, he hated MK and liked Epcot. We also had a small surprise as I found out I was pregnant when we were on holiday. So no alcohol for me and half the rides where out.

So this will be the OH's 2nd time, DD's (who will be 10!) first(ish), she was a well traveled bump (who also went on a far east trip as we though it would be the last big holiday for a long while) and DS who is and will be 8.
20151128_145120_zpsxrjfwwxs.jpg

We've been over to Portugal, France and Italy a few times as a family but finally have decided that DS could sit still long enough to do a long haul flight, so I get to take them to Disney (Yah!). It's one of my dream holidays (apart from going back to Mauritius and travelling to Vietnam) and one I wanted to do when the kids were young enough to get the magic and not be grumpy teenagers or tired toddlers. Hopefully we have made it at the right time.

The Holiday:
We fly out on the 26th May and I get to spend 10 nights, on site for the first time, at the AKL.
DS is mad about animals so he will be heaven watching them. (Hey if you are going all that way and spending that much to get there why not go deluxe?), and we get DDP and memory maker thrown in.

The plan (at the moment) is to spend a couple of days at universal (particularly in the harry potter bits as obviously you fly several thousand miles to end up back at kings cross which is only an hour by train from home). I thinking about going over to the space centre too, I've been a couple of times, OH has been once and we both love it over there and the kids are both pretty nerdy and would like it too, but it is quite a long drive especially for the boy. The rest will be DISNEY.

We are still trying to work out if we hire the car straight from the airport, or use the ME to get to the park and then hire a car. So what do you lot think?

I've got the ADR's to book on Saturday morning (11 am GMT, isn't that civilised?), and I've almost decided were we are going. I was fine 'till I asked the kids if they wanted to eat with the characters and was surprised to get a yes so a couple of changes might have to be made but so far:

My restaurant list includes 'Ohana, BOG, Jiko, coral reef ('cause of the fishes) and OH wants to go to Morimito's (which I am very happy with).

More details when I have finalised the ADRs.

OurLuce
x

Last edited:
Desperately trying to post a picture and failing ... I've just found some photos from december 1990 and my first trip to disney ...
Copy%20of%2020151126_132956.jpg

Copy%20of%2020151126_132956.jpg

Help!

So it is now Saturday afternoon in the UK. It's a cold and damp and quite dingy outside. It's also 180 days before we get the dose of florid a sunshine.

So I've just booked the ADR's. ☺ and got everything I wanted.

(Managed to book for boma tomorrow morning rather than 29 may but spotted cancelled and corrected).

So the plans are: (subject to every body changing my mind)

Friday 27th .. tusker house breakfast
Saturday ohana dinner
Sunday boma breakfast jiko dinner
Monday morimito for dinner without children
Need to book the kids into the play thingy in the hotel.
Tuesday california grill dinner
Wednesday Tokyo dinner dinner
Thursday sci-fi dine-in dinner
Friday bog for breakfast
Saturday coral reef lunch.

Happy me.

Now off to chuck money at the schools Christmas fayre. Hopefully we will come back with less cuddly toys than we donated.

OurLuce

Last edited:
Long time no post. But after the ADR's it feels a long wait to book the fast passes. Well it's under 70 days now so get to book them very soon.

Now we are waiting for the kids new passports. The old ones expiry date is 6 months on the day before we get back so they had to be renewed. Then ds photo had to be redone. Here's hoping they arrive soon. We can't do the etsa visa thing until we have them

Car to be hired. After much discussion we have decided to use disney express to and from the airport and then have a car for a week (It was cheaper than 3 days). We will be going to universal and the space centre as well as some shopping.

Oh has finally started being interested. . Did you know there were camp fire stories at the hotel? Well yes I did.

Tickets for the non disney stuff to the balance of money to disney. I've also really got to work out how to work photo bucket....

20151126_132956_zps0sqtmtlf.jpg
I've done it!!! the photos I found from my first trip to disney. Christmas 1990.

Just over 30 days to go. I am so excited. My dd has banned me from telling her the counting down till 10 days to go. Think I might be boring her.

We have some fast passes. Decided to ditch universal, far too much money for just one day. So a day at a water park instead.

But we are going to the space center and having lunch with an astronaut. Even the oh thinks that is cool.

I'm thinking about cameras. I have my phone and a proper dslr. Do I take the big one or do buy myself a compact or just live with the phone... ?

OurLuce

Its getting closer. Just 20 days to go. DD still won't let me do a count down, she is definitly the sensible one.

I'm going to keep writing, just in case somebody is interested, and I don't mind talking to myself.

The packing list is now on the fridge door. It's our place for important things we don't want to lose that have a finite lifespan. Other things on the fridge door include swimming lesson dates and the information on the kids cub camp (but that's not till June).

Obviously the packing list hasn't got anything as useful as the clothes I have to pack, but it does have a list of electronics and chargers and american converters for plugs. Note to self must make sure OH doesn't pack his work computer!!!! It also has some games to play in airports and on holiday. Must be reasonably light and not too bulky. So carcasonne is on the list, as is Yatzee. Next note to self. Put Uno on the list. Still need to find some plane friendly games. We need to buy sunscreen and toothbrushes.

I've finally solved the problem of the camera ... I'm getting a new compact for my birthday :-) its a panasonic with an really good optical zoom and some really cool features.

I'm not sure when we get time to pack, the week before is looking a bit busy. kids have a school sleepover the friday before, so a chance for me and OH to go out for dinner. Our usual Saturday morning of being very busy taking kids to clubs. Sunday may be the day for packing. Monday night I have choir, tuesday night I have a different choir and the kids have twekwondo (which I still can't spell) then wednesday, we are driving down to the airport to stay in a hotel close by as the flight is at 11am on Thursday, so a 9am check in and we aren't driving round the M25 in rush hour. [Note to American readers, the M25 is the obital motorway that goes round London, it is normally closer to a car park during rush hour and we live an over 2 hours away from the airport we are flying out of, in 'normal' traffic]

Keep looking at everybody's trip reports. Just keep telling myself it is soon.

OurLuce
x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter