Taking Friends any advice (Back and Thank you)

RooRach0906

"Oh Goody, Horray!"
We are taking friends, who are Disney newbies, with us on our next Disney vacation, which will be sometime in September 2016. We are DVC members and plan on BLT for this trip.

Curious how other members have handled taking others. We have only ever taken my sister and niece with us and that was easy to figure out.

Our friends have told us that they basically want us to plan it, which I do not mind doing as I normally do anyhow.

We have already talked about some things like we plan on no dining plan and eating some meals in the room to save on money. We are also flying and plan on taking Disney transportation. (So I dunno if it would be better to call a taxi and get food or just order from one of the grocery companies)

We also have told them that tickets, food, and souvenirs are there responsibility (We will split the groceries).

What questions should I be asking??? Is there anything that happen when you took guest with you that I should be aware of or plan for???

I know this is really early but I want to make sure we have addressed everything before we book the room.

Any advice is welcome and Thank you in advance!

Depends on your friends. We have taken family before and probably won't do it again.

Everyone is different and what you like, they may not. You know what things cost, they may not. You don't mind eating in the room, they may want to eat out. You know what the room will look like, the wear, location. size, they may have a problem with it. You love WDW and Disney, they may not get it. If anything goes wrong, it's your fault!

We have been entertained at WDW more than once listening to conversations between friends and family. One of the most memorable was the group at an SSR bus stop talking about the DVC sister who gets the points for free but who is making money off of them and who picked this crappy resort.

:earsboy: Bill

Depends on your friends. We have taken family before and probably won't do it again.

Everyone is different and what you like, they may not. You know what things cost, they may not. You don't mind eating in the room, they may want to eat out. You know what the room will look like, the wear, location. size, they may have a problem with it. You love WDW and Disney, they may not get it. If anything goes wrong, it's your fault!

We have been entertained at WDW more than once listening to conversations between friends and family. One of the most memorable was the group at an SSR bus stop talking about the DVC sister who gets the points for free but who is making money off of them and who picked this crappy resort.

I should have said that all the decision that have been made have been discussed by all of us and decided on. Believe me if it was my way I would have picked a different resort (I like Bay Lake but I like to try out the different resorts).

Eating in the room (other than quick breakfast or ordering in from like a pizza place) is actually new to us, we normally always eat out at Disney.

I guess I should have said that our friends consist of a Mom, Dad, and two kids (5 and 7 right now).

I think that is why I am trying to get an idea of what I should plan for so hopefully things won't go wrong. (With my sister we don't have this problem because she loves Disney so just being there is all good to her.)

LOL, just go to show how people taste can differ. I actually really like SSR but apparently they didn't.

Thank you for your input; I do appreciate it! :)

I wouldn't waste time and more money going shopping. The grocery delivery services are very good. At WGS you can request brands you like and I believe they will go to multiple stores. GG gets good reviews too. Do you have children? You might want to have separate family time. I would find out what kind of rides do they like. Are they interested Meet and Greets or Character meals? I just know to plan,plan,plan and then be ready to punt!

You might discuss what they envision the vacation being like. For example are they expecting park time every day or do they think that it will be mostly pool time with a couple hours in the parks? Do they think you'll all spend virtually every minute together or will each family want to take a bit of time to themselves. I think MK especially deserves some discussion about the rides and what the kids might be interested in. Maybe give them a list and rank intensity, characters involved etc. Some love to meet characters and others could care less. Some love roller coasters and others break into a sweat just thinking about them.

For example everyone we've gone with - friends and family - we pretty much do everything together. It's part of why we go - to spend time together with the people we don't get to see all the time. But that's also been remarked upon by other reports as being a point of contention in a trip. I'll also try and get some feel if the family has some pre-conceived idea of what will be done on the vacation and try and factor that in. We go enough and enjoy most everything so I'm not too concerned about missing out on a couple of things we would normally do and replacing it with a few things that we wouldn't normally do if our visitors have things they've heard about and would like to try. Unless it's spending all time at the pool - then I'd set a time to meet them later. :teeth:

I wouldn't waste time and more money going shopping. The grocery delivery services are very good. At WGS you can request brands you like and I believe they will go to multiple stores. GG gets good reviews too. Do you have children? You might want to have separate family time. I would find out what kind of rides do they like. Are they interested Meet and Greets or Character meals? I just know to plan,plan,plan and then be ready to punt!

Thank you for all your insight and great questions to ask them.

Yes we have a daughter who is also 5. All the kids get along really well together.

You might discuss what they envision the vacation being like. For example are they expecting park time every day or do they think that it will be mostly pool time with a couple hours in the parks? Do they think you'll all spend virtually every minute together or will each family want to take a bit of time to themselves. I think MK especially deserves some discussion about the rides and what the kids might be interested in. Maybe give them a list and rank intensity, characters involved etc. Some love to meet characters and others could care less. Some love roller coasters and others break into a sweat just thinking about them.

For example everyone we've gone with - friends and family - we pretty much do everything together. It's part of why we go - to spend time together with the people we don't get to see all the time. But that's also been remarked upon by other reports as being a point of contention in a trip. I'll also try and get some feel if the family has some pre-conceived idea of what will be done on the vacation and try and factor that in. We go enough and enjoy most everything so I'm not too concerned about missing out on a couple of things we would normally do and replacing it with a few things that we wouldn't normally do if our visitors have things they've heard about and would like to try. Unless it's spending all time at the pool - then I'd set a time to meet them later. :teeth:

Thank you for your suggestions. I love the way you worded it with the how do they envision their vacation. I think it is a great way to get a truthful answer.

When we go with my sister or other family we pretty much do everything together to. :)

As I posted, it depends on your friends. How old are they, do they take naps, do they want to go shopping so that they feel useful, how active are they, will they be doing the cooking, again to stay busy and useful. How often will they be going into the parks, are they set in their ways, any mobility uses, do they use a computer so you can send them links for things to review. If you sent them links would they take the time to look at them.

Often it's better to let each party do what they want, meet for some meals, join up if you feel like it, don't make them feel like they have to stick to your schedule.

Will you be sharing a 2 bedroom or will each family have its own room? We have traveled with family and friends more times than I can count and we always get separate rooms. We like having some space that is separate when we are together so much. Having separate rooms also allows us to cancel a room if there is some last minute issue. For example, one year 11 months out we booked a big family gathering with 4 different rooms. A few months later my niece found out she was pregnant and due about the time of our trip. It was no problem to cancel one room. (During the trip we got the call of the baby's birth when we were getting off Pirates of the Caribbean!) Perhaps you prefer a single room or want to save points by sharing, but I just thought that I would raise this issue. There have been a lot of threads on the DIS over the years about DISers being upset to be stuck with a 2 bedroom when a last minute emergency causes a friend/family member to cancel.

Will you be sharing a 2 bedroom or will each family have its own room? We have traveled with family and friends more times than I can count and we always get separate rooms. We like having some space that is separate when we are together so much. Having separate rooms also allows us to cancel a room if there is some last minute issue. For example, one year 11 months out we booked a big family gathering with 4 different rooms. A few months later my niece found out she was pregnant and due about the time of our trip. It was no problem to cancel one room. (During the trip we got the call of the baby's birth when we were getting off Pirates of the Caribbean!) Perhaps you prefer a single room or want to save points by sharing, but I just thought that I would raise this issue. There have been a lot of threads on the DIS over the years about DISers being upset to be stuck with a 2 bedroom when a last minute emergency causes a friend/family member to cancel.

We are sharing a two bedroom. We asked our friend if they want to be altogether or do separate rooms and they said all together. We don't plan on booking until 7 months out and if we can't get BLT, SSR is our back up. If they cancel we will cross that bridge then although we did tell them that at 7 months we are pretty much locked in (so we are sure they would only cancel if it was an emergency.)

Last edited:
As I posted, it depends on your friends. How old are they, do they take naps, do they want to go shopping so that they feel useful, how active are they, will they be doing the cooking, again to stay busy and useful. How often will they be going into the parks, are they set in their ways, any mobility uses, do they use a computer so you can send them links for things to review. If you sent them links would they take the time to look at them.

Often it's better to let each party do what they want, meet for some meals, join up if you feel like it, don't make them feel like they have to stick to your schedule.

I agree and that was my fault for not saying I do agree that it will depend a lot on them.

I was just trying to clarify a few things that I had forgot to put in and didn't realize until your responds.

To answer a few of your question ~ The adults are both in their mid thirties (I already gave the kids ages). She already volunteered to cook because she loves cooking. Yes they use the computer and I think that she would look at links but I don't know.

As for the rest all great questions that I will probably ask them.

That is why I ask on here to get others points of view and advice and I appreciate all the responses I am getting because it is giving me things I didn't even think about to address with them. So Thank you thank you everyone I genuine appreciate it!!

having travelled / shared hotel rooms with various friends and brought newbies to Disney here are my suggestions

Morning Routine
set out a morning schedule / bathroom schedule
I know I am low maintenance / take the shortest time to get ready in the morning, so I always have the last bathroom slot. The person who takes the longest gets up earliest. Decide this in advance and make sure it is adhered to.
Set a time for leaving the room by, when everyone must be ready. We usually do this the night before, as each day can be different.
Or decide whether you all leave together or leave when you are ready and meet up at a designated place and time. You may be early risers and want to be at the parks for rope drop but they might not want to get up as early

Each adult has a room key and decide in advance about what to do if some members of the party want to go back to the hotel for any reason, either for an after noon rest or in the evenings. You may stay until park closing but they may not want to.

Talk about the types of rides / attractions / shows and entertainment. Find out their preferences for thrill rides, character meets, dark rides, 3D attractions, parades etc. Decide in advance which rides attractions will suit both parties. When you do a ride, explain to them what to expect, ie Star Tours is a flight simulator, Pirates is a boat ride on a track, Haunted Mansion is like a fairground ghost train, comedy scary etc etc. Also discuss about if one party wants to do a ride but the other doesn't. With me, I know I go on alot more rides than one of my friends. She is quiet happy to wait while I do Indiana Jones for example and I am ok with doing the ride solo. None of my friends are interested in character meets so we don't do them.

Also decide on shopping time and schedule this in during your day. As you have been there before, you know what merchandise is available and what you tend to buy. The other party will be all starry eyed in all the shops, and will probably dawdle more. Give them a timeframe for a shop, ie meet back at this entrance in 20 minutes. Also tell them that some merch is only available in certain shops, ie Pirates merch near Pirates ride, Star Wars merch near Star Tours.

Before you go, make sure they have the correct footwear and bags for the park. Tell them about the huge amount of walking, distances , standing in queues etc. Tell them your park footwear and clothing and what type of bag you use and what you pack for a day in the park.

You will find that you will do less in a park day with newbies than you would with someone who has been before.

When I go with a friend, I have her give me her grocery list ahead of time.....and order from WeGoShop.
We always pick restaurants together.....so I get some she likes and then try some she hasn't been too.
We are taking our third trip together in Jan. She has only gone with me.

We went with family last Dec. Did the same thing.....they made their grocery order. We went through the bill later and they paid me their sahre.
They wanted a night out alone, so we arranged that and I babysat.
It worked out well.

Just thought of something else. Decide ahead of time how restaurant checks are to be paid.

When me and my mum go to a restaurant with my sister and her husband, we divide the bill per couple ie a €40 check = €20 per couple no matter who ate or drank what.

When I eat in a restaurant with friends we pay for what we ate and drink ie a €40 bill in total but what I ate cost €10 so thats what I put in.

Sometimes , if its a longer vacation, we might pay every second bill, ie we pay the full amount this time and next meal someone else pays the full amount.

Its always best to decide on a system BEFORE the meal to save squabbles. Also decide whether you pay for meals with card or cash.

With a grocery deliver , we divide by couple also. One couple will take charge and actually put the order through and pay upfront. We give a time frame for items to be selected, usually 1 week. The couple taking charge will send a link to the online grocery shop. General items are a given, like milk, bread etc. We discuss meal plans before hand and these items a given also. It is up to each couple to go through the online grocery and order personal favourites for alcohol , snacks, breakfast etc. The couple taking charge will then pay upfront and arrange delivery. Once the grocery order is delivered, the bill is divided per couple and paid by CASH to the couple who were in charge.

Dont just ASSUME everyone is on the same page regarding money, and dont be shy about discussing money payment options. It saves a huge amount of stress and arguments

With regard to paying a check, it is possible to use more than one form of payment.

For example, the check is $100 but my share is $58 and I want to pay by credit card. I give my card for the $58 and the other party gives their form of payment for the remainder.

I've been going with friends for years. We have a standing "rule" that anyone is free to do something different if they want. We usually do stick together but if someone doesn't want to do something or wants to do something else it's fine. I would say the same thing to the other family. Don't feel obligated to do the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter