Taking food on the plane...

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by AnninIowa, Apr 13, 2008.

1. AnninIowa

AnninIowa DIS Veteran

We would like to bring our own cereal to Disney, but wondering if we can bring 2 boxes of cereal as carry-ons on the plane? I know liquids and such have to be under 3 oz, but what about cereal, as well as crackers/nuts/candy for snacks? I don't want to pack the cereal in our checked package as it will be crumbs by the time we arrive.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mommyoftwinfants

mommyoftwinfants DIS Veteran

The first time we flew I packed a carry on with only snacks (cereal, fruit snacks, etc.) and had no problem.

4. disneynutt1225

disneynutt1225 <font color=deeppink>I'm a fruit loop girl<br><fon

DH and I flew this past week and we brought snacks and sandwiches on the plane. We didn't have a problem coming or going. As for liquids, they are now letting you bring on drinks that you've purchased in the terminal once you go through security. You cannot bring any drinks up to the security checkpoint.

5. gilby

gilby DIS Veteran

we bring muffins and bagels every time we fly and never had a problem.

6. hildarumpole

hildarumpole DIS Veteran

As long as some nitwit doesn't try to hatch a scheme to blow up an airplane using Lucky Charms in the near future, you'll be fine. Honestly, I'm all for airline safety, but most of the new restrictions seem to be kneejerk reactions that mostly create hassles and inconvenience to travelers, rather than a real thought out and effective security plan.

7. fakereadhed

fakereadhed The Tag Fairy has me on "ignore"!

:lmao:

I curse that shoe bomber every time I struggle to get my stuff off the conveyor belt while putting on my shoes. Next they will start trying to blow things up with snacks and really ruin my day.

8. AnninIowa

AnninIowa DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies! I know we'll look a little silly with boxes of Raisin Bran and Kashi in the security check-out, but we need our fiber!! :rotfl2:

9. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

Cereal isn't liquid, so it will pass security. You'll have to have your boxes in something that will fit either in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you.

10. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

It's going happen. I saw on the news last week TSA is thinking about banning creme foundation (not the liquid kind) that usually comes in a compact and has a sponge and a mirror because some *&^ tried to smuggle drugs on the plane with it. :mad:

11. delmar411

delmar411 DIS Veteran

it's really getting out of hand. :mad: We only had carry ons last week and I was having an very hard time making sure everything and anything was in an ok size, shape or container. I didn't take any makeup as I couldn't figure out what would or wouldn't be tossed. :confused3

There has got to be some sort of other screening process that actually makes it safe for ppl. Not bringing on my soda or bottle of water is not making the skies safer. :rolleyes: You could very easily smuggle on liquids on your body so not sure why in a bottle makes it any different. Or filling up a bunch of 3oz containers full of liquids and putting them in a quart baggie...what could they say then? :lmao:

12. samiet620

samiet620 Mouseketeer

I read on the resort thread that you could ship all your dry goods, shampoo etc via ups to your hotel. They also mentioned gardengrocer.com and also wegoshop.com,here you can even buy anything from ham an cheese to wine!I've never done it because I'm new to the Disney seen and to staying in a hotel but I thought this was way cool. Wegoshop.com is a more personal shopping, they buy what you like by name brand and everything. The thread said that it was a 12.00 delivery charge. Maybe this would be easier for you? I am actually thinking of trying it.

13. problemchild718

problemchild718 DIS Veteran

I always bring snacks on the plane, but pack a suitcase full of food (dry goods, canned goods, snacks) and have never had a problem with it being crushed. We eat the food whild there and use the bag for our Disney purchases on the way home.

14. SiClone

SiClone Mouseketeer

I brought a large un-opened bag of chips and beef jerky on the plane at MCO and they had no problems with it. They did remove my reusable ice packs that were keeping DS2's bottle cold. Those went through TSA without any problem at our home airport though....:confused3

15. Tosha

Tosha Blessed beyond measure

This is good information!

16. Maddle

Maddle DIS Veteran

ROFLOL!! I have visions of little marshmallows everwhere.

Maddle

17. SadieDog

SadieDog <font color=red>Minds are like parachutes, they on

OT: That is one of the best family photos I have ever seen. LOVE it!

I have brought food on a plane without problem.

18. nictodisney

nictodisney Mouseketeer

We have packed mini wheats, lucky charms, and cinnamon toast crunch in checked suitcases and all survived the trip fine. We had soft side luggage but cereal was not crushed on trip.

19. Happy_Mom

Happy_Mom Mouseketeer

A few years ago I brought an entire suitcase full of food for our week at OKW and for some reason they took a box cutter and sliced open every box of mac & cheese. Then they put them back in the suitcase!

What a mess. :sad2:

20. BelleBeautyandtheBeast

BelleBeautyandtheBeast <font color=red>Disney Dreamer<br><font color=blue

Back in 2004 I packed a suitcase full of food, which was checked luggage and the TSA had a field day searching it. I'm thankful they didn't cut anything open though.

I did bring food on the airplane this past weekend and nobody even blinked. They were much more concerned with the people who were attempting to smuggle WHOLE regular size toothpaste through the security check point *gasp!*

Mmmmm, now I'm hungry for some Lucky Charms lol

21. labdogs42

labdogs42 <font color=darkorchid>I managed to wrestle a play

I have shipped stuff to my resort in the past and it has worked out great! I pack up a box (usually an empty case of diapers) with diapers, snacks, cereal, dollar store ponchos, glow bracelets, extra sunscreen, etc and ship it to myself at my resort about a week before I'm scheduled to arrive. It works great, usually costs me about $10-14 depending on how much I pack, and I don't have to worry about TSA taking or ruining any of my stuff! When I don't have to take diapers anymore, I can start using a smaller, lighter box! Oh yeah, and I get a case of water shipped from Staples, too. You should see the people's faces when I walk away from the check-in desk with a big box and my case of water! They either think I'm insane or won some weird YOAMD prize!! :lmao: