Take my Apple a Watch to WDW?

vwlfan

DIS Veteran
I've been fortunate enough to get an Apple Watch. Did it on a whim, and as the what seemed interminable wait to get it wore on I was accumulating enough buyer's remorse to cancel the order.

And lo, suddenly it was here, a month early.

As with the Apple products I've gotten in the past, synchs and setting it up were relatively easy. I confess to a steeper learning curve than I expected and am still trying to figure out how it fits into my daily professional and personal life.

So far I am more under than over whelmed with the device but still suspect I will increasingly come to enjoy and value having it.

But I'm not sure if bringing it on our upcoming trip is worthy and wise.

Wise, as in what will I use it for in the World? So far at least the MDE app doesn't work on it. Any word on this?

Then, bringing it makes me have to worry about losing it, having it stolen, or drowning it in a pool.

The thought of taking it off on airport check ins and forgetting it are halfway valid given my increasing memory failure. I'm not so worried re having it stolen.

And damaging it, I dunno. It could be damaged lots of other places, lots of other ways.

If only the app worked.

What do you think?

Its meant to be worn as a watch. Why would you not take it wherever you go? Unless you're going deep sea diving or mountain climbing, I think it's ok to take it anywhere.

You could lose it or have it stolen anywhere.

I took mine and had no problems whatsoever. The useful part was seeing how many steps/miles i was walking! Over 4 days in the parks, i walked 52 miles.... It was insane! I never would have imagined!

I've been fortunate enough to get an Apple Watch. Did it on a whim, and as the what seemed interminable wait to get it wore on I was accumulating enough buyer's remorse to cancel the order.

As with the Apple products I've gotten in the past, synchs and setting it up were relatively easy. I confess to a steeper learning curve than I expected and am still trying to figure out how it fits into my daily professional and personal life.

So far I am more under than over whelmed with the device but still suspect I will increasingly come to enjoy and value having it.

Wise, as in what will I use it for in the World? So far at least the MDE app doesn't work on it. Any word on this?

Then, bringing it makes me have to worry about losing it, having it stolen, or drowning it in a pool.

The thought of taking it off on airport check ins and forgetting it are halfway valid given my increasing memory failure. I'm not so worried re having it stolen.

And damaging it, I dunno. It could be damaged lots of other places, lots of other ways.

If only the app worked.

What do you think?

Don't take it - you seem to be overly caring about the watch why hamper your time at Disney when you have to keep checking if your watch is ok...?

Secondly, it seems a bit useless outside of telling the time no? Why even bother taking it if it has no practical use for you

I've had mine (the Sport model) for about 3 weeks now and worn it to WDW (we live nearby) frequently. I agree that the learning curve is steep with the watch, even for a long-time Apple enthusiast.

The watch functions just fine as a watch. It will also provide you an excellent opportunity to find your way around the watch more.

The watch is waterproof enough that you don't need to worry about an accidental dunking, or getting caught in the rain. You won't need to take it off going through airport security (unless maybe you have one of the metal bands). The watch clasp is very secure and I've never been concerned that the watch will fall off.

I've had mine (the Sport model) for about 3 weeks now and worn it to WDW (we live nearby) frequently. I agree that the learning curve is steep with the watch, even for a long-time Apple enthusiast.

The watch functions just fine as a watch. It will also provide you an excellent opportunity to find your way around the watch more.

The watch is waterproof enough that you don't need to worry about an accidental dunking, or getting caught in the rain. You won't need to take it off going through airport security (unless maybe you have one of the metal bands). The watch clasp is very secure and I've never been concerned that the watch will fall off.
Would you ride Popeye and Bluto's bilge rat barges with it on? I haven't read too much into them because I basically talk myself into needing it (and I dont. I wouldn't use the fitness side of it, so it's an expensove watch/notification system for me I think) so I'm not aware of the waterproof/resistant stats.

I saw multiple people wearing their Apple watches at the parks last weekend. I left mine at home mostly due to weather concerns and the drain on my battery. I use my phone a lot in the park and having it pairing with my Apple watch seems to drain the battery faster. I have a Fitbit that I wore that has a watch and that worked well. I would leave it at home if I were you, but have fun regardless.

Would you ride Popeye and Bluto's bilge rat barges with it on? I haven't read too much into them because I basically talk myself into needing it (and I dont. I wouldn't use the fitness side of it, so it's an expensove watch/notification system for me I think) so I'm not aware of the waterproof/resistant stats.

I definitely would NOT wear it on Popeye or Dudley Do Right. I know it's waterproof to a certain degree, but I wouldn't want it to get soaked on those two rides.

So it's not water resistant for washing the dishes or showering then? (Assuming a metal or rubber band, not leather)

So it's not water resistant for washing the dishes or showering then? (Assuming a metal or rubber band, not leather)

I think that would be fine, but I spent a lot of money for the watch, I'm not going to risk anything. I've had sweat on it and a few raindrops, but that's enough for me. LOL.

I believe it shouldn't be submerged in water. At least not deep water or for a prolonged period of time. But I can't remember where I read that. I'd have no problem wearing it on vacation, but I'd take it off to swim.

Last edited:
I'm a huge apple fanboy, but i just dont care for an apple watch (or any smart watch for that matter).
MAYBE I'd get a Pebble Time, but I just like the idea of my wrist buzzing for notifications

I believe it shouldn't be submerged in water. At least not deep water or for a prolonged period of time. But I can't remember where I read that. I'd have no problem wearing it on vacation, but I'd take it off to swim.
So water rides, even those that soak you like Jurassic park, Popeyes and Dudley do rights would be ok?

Apple watches are water resistant. They aren't affected by rain showers or getting soaked on water rides. I personally wouldn't go swimming with one but people have done that with no ill effect.

According to Apple, the watch is resistant to water at a depth of 3.3 feet (1 meter) for approximately 30 minutes. This is a water resistant rating of IPX7.

Probably bringing it. It's starting to grow on me. It looks like it's going to really hot when we go so I'll be doing some serious pool time - but minus the watch notwithstanding the advice that it should be ok!

If only the app worked.

What do you think?
So I am such a fan girl but what does the Dis team think of the Apple Watch? I always rely on their feedback.

So I am such a fan girl but what does the Dis team think of the Apple Watch? I always rely on their feedback.
I'm not aware of any of the team that has an Apple Watch. Saw several of them last week on the Alaska cruise and none of them had one.

I would bring it. It's your own magic band. Lol. Just using the appale pay function at the park would make it worth it. For me it's a watch and is worn like any other watch I own. Just no swimming with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter