Tables in Wonderland for Dummies. ;-)

SingingMom

DIS Veteran
Could someone kindly point me in the right direction for an explanation of Tables in Wonderland card? We are new Annual Pass holders (will be activating at the end of the month) and I haven't been able to find a clear description of the benefits and cost.

Thank you for helping out this "dummie"! :-)

You buy the card. Once you buy it, it expires 13 months after the purchase. $100 for annual passholder membership.

It's then good for 20% off your entire bill, including alcoholic beverages, at any participating restaurant so long as it's not a blackout day. For the cardholder and up to 9 other guests.

You can see all the participating restaurants and blackout dates at the previously linked website.

TIW policy is that all discounted items must be on a single bill, and the person whose name is on the card must pay the bill.

18% tip will be automatically added at all participating restaurants except counter service. There are about 10 counter service restaurants where the card will be accepted.

If you're not the person whose name is on the card, you aren't supposed to use it. They charge $50 for a second card for a spouse on a membership.

The current thinking is that you need to spend about $500 to cover the cost of the card. After that amount is spent you begin to relize savings.
We have been TIW card holders for years. We always realize savings and we love the card.
As AP holders we generally plan 2 week long trips in one 12 month period. We definitely save some on the first trip and save a great deal on the second
Good Luck

The current thinking is that you need to spend about $500 to cover the cost of the card. After that amount is spent you begin to relize savings.
We have been TIW card holders for years. We always realize savings and we love the card.
As AP holders we generally plan 2 week long trips in one 12 month period. We definitely save some on the first trip and save a great deal on the second
Good Luck
This is pretty much like us. We always do 2 11-day trips in a calendar year, so 22 days total -- the TiW savings really add up!

thank you!!!! DD is starting her college internship so we will be going a few times during that period of time - and she's actually hoping to be hired after that. will definitely get our money's worth, especially since alcohol is included in the total.

DH is never there unless I am, so it looks like we only need the one card.

Appreciate everyone's help! :-)

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but some of the restaurants we used our TiW card at did not automatically add the tip even though the card says they will. Having spent much of high school serving pizza on roller skates, I wanted to be sure to tip our servers . . .

According to the website, 18% gratuity is added- I'm assuming this is added after the 20% discount. Is that correct?

Thanks- that's what I was thinking- I see that I worded my question incorrect. So, tables in wonderland basically pays for gratuity.

First....
MakiraMarlena posted a GREAT synopsis of this card :). Passholders, DVC members, and a few other folks are ALLOWED to buy it. We've done so for years.

Our dining habits lead us to Sig restaurants - every night, about 18 nights per year. Really - one can expect a cost of about $100 a plate at these. We ALWAYS want to tip a solid 20%. So - for us? TIW essentially pays Disney Staff back with Disney money :). But we would have tipped those folks anyway - so we DO get a 20% discount.

My point - TIW is wonderful. The best way we have found to use it is to go to higher end restaurants. It is likely of zero value if you intend to skunk the staff :). But if you are a little like us? Welllll - that card returns a good $500 a year to us, based on how we would normally behave :).

Thanks, Dean Marino- your reply was exactly what I was looking for. I was just trying to wrap my head around the numbers. We usually pay 20% gratuity so TIW would basically be paying for our tips... If it's more than $100, I guess it pays for itself.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but some of the restaurants we used our TiW card at did not automatically add the tip even though the card says they will. Having spent much of high school serving pizza on roller skates, I wanted to be sure to tip our servers . . .

That has never happened to me.

Except for with counter service of course. But that's expected. :)

Which brings up another point. If you do find yourself using the food courts, see if the one you're at takes it. Since there's no tip at the counter services, it makes the total discount better.

The amount to spend is a little under $500 for dvc or ap (and a little under what the FL resident would quickly calculate) because the tax is calculated on the discounted bill. (Unlike the gratuity)

Keep in mind that many of the same places give a 10% AP discount, so really need to be spending closer to $1000 to make TIW worthwhile.

Thanks- that's what I was thinking- I see that I worded my question incorrect. So, tables in wonderland basically pays for gratuity.

Essentially, yes. Providing that you would be tipping this % or more regularly anyways and are going to use it enough to cover the initial cost, then you can really rack up some savings - especially if you are traveling with a large party and take the bill under your name/card. (1 card covers 10 people for the 20% discount). Our card has paid for itself a couple of times over now. I absolutely LOVE TiW!

thank you!!!! DD is starting her college internship so we will be going a few times during that period of time - and she's actually hoping to be hired after that. will definitely get our money's worth, especially since alcohol is included in the total.

DH is never there unless I am, so it looks like we only need the one card.

Appreciate everyone's help! :-)

I was getting my new TiW card when dropping DD at DCP. Since she was 21 and had same address as me, they allowed her to get the partner card. It was totally worth it since she planned on eating at as many Disney restaurants as she could and would be down there a year. Her DCP discount was 20% overall but no alcohol, many limitations and blacked out dates. So she was able to get more than her money worth using TiW instead of her discount.

This is true. There are some non-Disney hotels that do not add it automatically. They usually let you know but I'm always checking it anyway.

According to the website, 18% gratuity is added- I'm assuming this is added after the 20% discount. Is that correct?

Tip is added on original bill, not discounted bill.

Keep in mind that many of the same places give a 10% AP discount, so really need to be spending closer to $1000 to make TIW worthwhile.

Well the list of those that give the discount is very limited, there are blacked out meals, days and dates and they do not discount alcohol if you are a consumer. I prefer having my options wide open and in the end I don't think it takes $1000 to make it worth it given all the restrictions.

It has happened to me on several occasions. And we wind up tipping at least 20%

That has never happened to me.

Except for with counter service of course. But that's expected. :)

Which brings up another point. If you do find yourself using the food courts, see if the one you're at takes it. Since there's no tip at the counter services, it makes the total discount better.

The amount to spend is a little under $500 for dvc or ap (and a little under what the FL resident would quickly calculate) because the tax is calculated on the discounted bill. (Unlike the gratuity)

This is a GREAT tip! Its actually one of the big reasons we're staying at POP this trip because I can use my TiW card there to feed my teenagers without breaking the bank (hopefully). :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter