Table mates

I have been very lucky to have great table mates on all our cruises. Our recent July cruise was odd. We always arrive a few minutes after seating time - that way we just follow the last few people in the door and we don't have to wait in line. So when we arrived at our table, we saw we had 5 table mates (we are a party of 3) Well they were very surprised when we sat at their table. I don't think they had any idea that we were assigned to the table too. They were Spanish and the only one that understood English was the daughter that was the same age as mine. I know a little Spanish so I was able to communicate the basics.

The next night, they sat in the very middle of the table leaving only the ends and one seat in the middle open! I guess my Spanish was not as good as I thought! So I glanced around and saw their youngest girl (about 4) was sitting at one end, so I suggested my husband sit on that end, my daughter sat in the middle with the girl her same age and I sat down at the other end and I put on a very big smile to show that I was pleased to be able to spend time with them. Well when they saw their little girl was sitting next to a grown man, the suggested we change seats! So we happily did and all was well.

The third night we went to Palo and my daughter ate with them.

On the 4th night we again came a few minutes after seating and followed the back of the line in - this time, they were all sitting together smiling and looking for us! When they saw us they waived and pulled out chairs out! It was so funny how it took us not being there for them to realize that it was nice to have us. They tried much harder that night to communicate and we had a lot of fun and were one of the last tables to leave! My Spanish must have improved!!!

We have had table mates that we have traveled with again and some that we still communicate with. Table mates are one of my favourite parts of the cruise!

Maybe it is just good old fashioned Disney magic?? lol not sure how they do it. One couple was from Maryland the other from St Louis and we are in Florida so definitely not from same area. Hubby and I are Childfree and the other couples had adult children. What I loved about our setting arrangement was they sit you with other adults not cruising with kids. I loved how the other couples seemed to have a sense of humor like us and it just was really enjoyable. Kudos to Disney!

I have been very lucky to have great table mates on all our cruises. Our recent July cruise was odd. We always arrive a few minutes after seating time - that way we just follow the last few people in the door and we don't have to wait in line. So when we arrived at our table, we saw we had 5 table mates (we are a party of 3) Well they were very surprised when we sat at their table. I don't think they had any idea that we were assigned to the table too. They were Spanish and the only one that understood English was the daughter that was the same age as mine. I know a little Spanish so I was able to communicate the basics.

The next night, they sat in the very middle of the table leaving only the ends and one seat in the middle open! I guess my Spanish was not as good as I thought! So I glanced around and saw their youngest girl (about 4) was sitting at one end, so I suggested my husband sit on that end, my daughter sat in the middle with the girl her same age and I sat down at the other end and I put on a very big smile to show that I was pleased to be able to spend time with them. Well when they saw their little girl was sitting next to a grown man, the suggested we change seats! So we happily did and all was well.

The third night we went to Palo and my daughter ate with them.

On the 4th night we again came a few minutes after seating and followed the back of the line in - this time, they were all sitting together smiling and looking for us! When they saw us they waived and pulled out chairs out! It was so funny how it took us not being there for them to realize that it was nice to have us. They tried much harder that night to communicate and we had a lot of fun and were one of the last tables to leave! My Spanish must have improved!!!

We have had table mates that we have traveled with again and some that we still communicate with. Table mates are one of my favourite parts of the cruise!

Am I reading this correctly? On the third night you let your young daughter eat alone with strangers? :scratchin

akhenaten said:
Am I reading this correctly? On the third night you let your young daughter eat alone with strangers? :scratchin

Op said their youngest child was 4, not hers. I'm guessing op's dd is a teen or tween?

Yes I did, she is 12 and has been on 12 cruises. There was another 12 year old at the table with her. She knows the rules - and follows them. She likes to go the dining rooms. Other cruises, she has gone all by herself when we and our table mates went to Palo together. Their child decided to eat in the kids area and Abigail went to the dining room and enjoyed swordfish! I talked to the wait staff and they knew to expect her alone. She loves feeling independent.

We have always been really lucky, but two times were just the best:

On our 2nd cruise (15 night panama canal) we were with another awesome family who had a son our sons same age. We had such a great time that earlier this year we joined them for a non-Disney vacation.

On our third cruise we were with a family from Saudi Arabia. They also had a three year son (same age as ours at the time). When we met the first night the adults were so warm and nice but also seemed a little nervous. We found out that they had been a little afraid that they wouldn't be so well received by America s (aww- that almost broke my heart). They were SO wonderful and even though the little ones had a small language barrier they could still color, play with the camera, and drive matchbox cars together without any problems. We still have their email address and they keep saying if we ever come to that area they can't wait to host us. As cheesy as it sounds, I think making connections with people from different walks of life and different cultures is what really breaks down barriers and changes perceptions and we love how dcl gave us the oppurtunity to introduce our son to that concept. Okay that was cheesy

I didn't think that was cheesy at all! We live in Virginia, an area of the United States that does not have a very diverse population. Our family is of Irish decent, so we blend in, but we try very hard to educate our children about the differences of other cultures. It's pretty awesome to hear someone else who has an open minded attitude! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter