Swim with Dolphins??

lizard1

DIS Veteran
I am looking at places in/near Orlando that offer a swimming with dolphins experience. I know it is offered at DC. How is the program there? Is there another place not too far (within an hour or two) that offers a better experience?

We have swam with the dolphins twice at Discovery Cove. Its not a lengthy interaction (petting, kissing, "swimming"....where you hold their fin and they drag you a short distancce through the water).....about 30 minutes all told, in small groups of about 8 people (if your group is less than 8, you may be placed with another family). We have very much enjoyed it, but not just for the dolphin interaction: more for the entire Discovery Cove experience. DC is an amazing park and the dolphin interaction just enhances an already spectacular day.

We have also done the dolphin swim at DC and my son loved it. Although it is a somewhat short experience you do get up close and personal and the whole park has many interactions and things to do!

I've looked into this and the only place I could find that was close to Disney is Discovery Cove. I was so hesitant about this because of the price and my youngest wouldn't like most of it (snorkling, dolphin swim) so I'm not happy to have to pay $199 just for the lazy river and serendity bay for him but my daughter really wants to swim with a dolphin. I told her she would have to save up for it and to my surprise she actually did! So we are going, hopefully we will have time to take advantage of the free SeaWorld tickets. I do hear and have read all the reviews that it is a beautiful park.

We have done DC several times now and I think it is just an amazing park. My son and I enjoy the dolphin experience. Last time we got to meet several different dolphins during our interaction because the dolphins were very playful that day. Our guide joked that we got to meet every dolphin in the lagoon. The grand reef is just beautiful. The sting rays are just huge. I think you will enjoy it if you decide to go there.

this is the one that is recommend by the visitor center in Orlando

http://www.visitorlando.com/things-...ation/31620/?gclid=CPuQmqLOjcYCFY0dgQodjHEA8Q

know nothing about it
This one appears to be a two-day trip to Miami, with most of one day spent traveling down to the Keys for a dolphin swim at one of several legitimate, legal dolphin encounters there. I'm not sure which one, but the two I know in the Keys feature swims with captive dolphins and have good reputations.

There is, however, a different dolphin encounter over in the Cocoa Beach area which features swims with wild dolphins. Those excursions are 1) ILLEGAL, 2) harmful to the wildlife, and 3) the company has like an F- reputation with the Better Business Bureau.

We've also done Discovery Cove and thought it was a great experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter