Swim with dolphins apart from DC

stba2006

DIS Veteran
Has any-one ever done any other swim with dolphins apart from at Discovery cove?

If so where and how did they compare with DC?

I know there is one at the Dolphin research centre at Marathon in the Florida keys but never done either.

They do a 'tour' at Epcot which is about $150 each, my fiance and I are intending to do this when we go in December. I haven't been to Florida at all before so I can't really offer any advice. From what I understand it's a 3 hour experience where you learn about the dolphins and then you get 30 minutes in the water with them and a picture. You don't actually get to swim with them though, only go waist high in the water. It's ideal for us as with only a week there we can take time out to go to Discovery Cove (unfortunately!)

I know there are threads on here with more details about it if you are interested.

My friend and one of her sons did one quite a few years ago at a place near Key Largo ~ they were down that way and I think it was cheaper than Discovery Cove which had only just opened, I also think my friend was worried about the ethics of DC, thinking it was going to be too much like a theme park. They both enjoyed their swim but that was basically it, a swim with photos and a video, then time to leave. We did Discovery Cove on our first trip a few years later and when my friend saw our photos and video and heard about our day she wished she'd gone there instead.

i thought DC did a pretty nice job with the dolphin swim.....
i've done a 'swim with dolphins' at another place, but it's very different from DC and really can't be compared..

DC does a good job in terms of the dolphin experience....and it's run by good people....i know one of the scientists who works there.....he and i went to university together many years ago and he's a decent guy and a serious doctor of marine biology....

DC does a good job in terms of the dolphin experience....and it's run by good people....i know one of the scientists who works there.....he and i went to university together many years ago and he's a decent guy and a serious doctor of marine biology....

Thanks for posting that, it's really good to hear. :)

Zoos etc often really upset me as I have a hard time seeing animals in captivity unless they have been rescued/are unable to live in their natural home etc.

The polar bears in San Diego zoo very much upset me and that's one of the reasons I'm not overly keen on going to seaworld, all of these huge creatures who should be in snow/ice/ a huge ocean and they are stuck in boiling hot Florida.

I really want to go to DC, but will only do so if the dolphins are 100% happy to be there.

Thanks for posting that, it's really good to hear. :)

Zoos etc often really upset me as I have a hard time seeing animals in captivity unless they have been rescued/are unable to live in their natural home etc.

The polar bears in San Diego zoo very much upset me and that's one of the reasons I'm not overly keen on going to seaworld, all of these huge creatures who should be in snow/ice/ a huge ocean and they are stuck in boiling hot Florida.

I really want to go to DC, but will only do so if the dolphins are 100% happy to be there.

we went to DC several years ago - the first year it opened...
we'd never been to sea world before, but when you get the DC ticket, it includes sea world...

anyway, we were also worried about how the dolphins would be at DC - the place we usually visit with dolphins is a place near where we live, where the dolphins actually live free....in their natural environment (in the sea and can come and go)..

so we were also worried about how we'd feel at DC....since we also don't like seeing animals in captivity...
but the dolphins at DC seemed to be in a more natural habitat than in the typical sea world type environment....and they seemed happy....

after our day at DC - actually, we only spent a half day there, we went over to sea world to check it out...(since it was already included in the price of our DC ticket)...
we only stayed at sea world for 2 hours for exactly the reason you mentioned...we were so disturbed by how the whales were kept - we only saw the orca show and then we left....we just couldn't be there...
i suppose i'm a hypocrit, since i do go to animal kingdom....
but we vowed we wouldn't go back to sea world..

however, we didn't get that same sort of bad feeling at DC....maybe we missed something, but the dolphins did seem happy.....

as for polar bears - if you want to be upset, go see the polar bears living in the central park zoo in New York City....terrible!!

I have been to DC twice. Last time I stayed till closing time, went and sat at the side of the dolphin area on the rocks and watched for ages.

The dolphins were extremely happy and were jumping in and out the water and really playing.

I've visited the Dolphin Research center in the Florida Keys. It was a lovely experience because the dolphins here are free - they can come and go as they please from the ocean (although there are quite a few that spend most of their day there, mainly because they get given fish and seem to enjoy being around people).

For the cost (can't remember how much now), myself and two others got to get in the water with them, but each person spends separate time with the two dolphins. First I was told to perform any action I wanted (e.g. spin in a circle) - thetwo dolphins watched and copied my actions. Then I laid on my back on the waters surface and a dolphin came up to each foot. They pushed me to the other end of the boardwalk. Then I treaded water, held the two dolphins fins and they pulled me back to shore. I also got to spend time stroking them etc.

I found them amazing, especially on the pushing and pulling action since they seemed to instinctively know how to be with each person. One lady was quite nervous and they pushed and pulled her ever so slowly. One older guy was more confident and they really shot him through the water. I also saw one lady holding her baby at the edge of the water - a dolphin swam up to the baby and was gently touching its feet.

You get given a video of your experience. You can also spend time watching the other dolphins, some were painting (really cute), and find out more about the research center.

Wonderful experience, recommend to anyone!!

We did Dolphins at Depth last year on our Disney moon :love:

A fantastic experience which was thoroughly worth every $, the interaction with the Dolphims was priceless. They do not make the Dolphins perform tricks for entertainment, if the Dolphins choose not to interact with guests then so be it. The trainers try to show you how they work with the dolphins on a daily routine, the bond they seem to have with the Dolphins is nothing short of incredible.
Its a 3 hours programme in which you are taken behind the scenes to see all the tanks, learn about the Disney Dolphin Programme, taught many interesting facts, you play group games & lastly are then suited up & taken to the Dolphins :lovestruc.

This probably lasts for 30 mins, trainers show you the different commands they teach the dolphins to help them understand & interact with them better. The Dolphins all seemed very playful & were quite happily playing together & jumping out of the water without the trainers even asking them to.
We were taught specific commands so when the Dolphins came near to us theyd be able to understand & repond.
Lastly the trainers would call the Dolphins over & 1 at a time we d be able to get close to one, touch them & get pic taken with them. We were warned that if the Dolphins did nt feel comfortable enough to do this is just would nt happen. Its reassuring to know that everything the Dolphins do whilst guests are in the tanks is on their terms, that they are nt forced to do any silly stunts for our benefit

Before we left we were presented with the photo, a tshirt & certificate to remember our experience
A truely memorable & great experience, also great to see behind the scenes at Epcot :thumbsup2

We did Dolphins at Depth last year on our Disney moon :love:

A fantastic experience which was thoroughly worth every $, the interaction with the Dolphims was priceless. They do not make the Dolphins perform tricks for entertainment, if the Dolphins choose not to interact with guests then so be it. The trainers try to show you how they work with the dolphins on a daily routine, the bond they seem to have with the Dolphins is nothing short of incredible.
Its a 3 hours programme in which you are taken behind the scenes to see all the tanks, learn about the Disney Dolphin Programme, taught many interesting facts, you play group games & lastly are then suited up & taken to the Dolphins :lovestruc.

This probably lasts for 30 mins, trainers show you the different commands they teach the dolphins to help them understand & interact with them better. The Dolphins all seemed very playful & were quite happily playing together & jumping out of the water without the trainers even asking them to.
We were taught specific commands so when the Dolphins came near to us theyd be able to understand & repond.
Lastly the trainers would call the Dolphins over & 1 at a time we d be able to get close to one, touch them & get pic taken with them. We were warned that if the Dolphins did nt feel comfortable enough to do this is just would nt happen. Its reassuring to know that everything the Dolphins do whilst guests are in the tanks is on their terms, that they are nt forced to do any silly stunts for our benefit

Before we left we were presented with the photo, a tshirt & certificate to remember our experience
A truely memorable & great experience, also great to see behind the scenes at Epcot :thumbsup2

Could you please let me know how much it costs to do this

TIA :goodvibes

Im not sure of this years price as we went last year in May, think it cost a round about $140. Was very much worth it, one of those memorys you ll never forget :thumbsup2.
We had to meet up at 9.30 outside of Epcot & experience lasted full 3 hours.
You ll probably find up to date info at Allears, if you get the opportunity def do this, you ll :love: it

Im not sure of this years price as we went last year in May, think it cost a round about $140. Was very much worth it, one of those memorys you ll never forget :thumbsup2.
We had to meet up at 9.30 outside of Epcot & experience lasted full 3 hours.
You ll probably find up to date info at Allears, if you get the opportunity def do this, you ll :love: it

Thanks, I'll go and check on Allears :goodvibes

The epcot experience sounds great. Will definitley look into this.

Has any-one any ideas for areas other than Orlando. We will be away for 4 week (Not sure If I have already mentioned this :rotfl2:) and have a car so we could possibly travel.

If not a dolphin swim then maybe similar to the epcot excounter?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts