Sweet Broccoli Salad

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, I'm having a surprise 90th birthday party for my step dad and want to make a salad that I have had at Sweet Tomatoes. It is broccoli, perhaps peanuts, bacon, maybe onion and a sweet dressing. It is sooo good and I don't like raw broccoli. Anyone have a recipe to share?

Google is your friend!! Seems a lot of people like this, haven't heard of Sweet Tomatoes nor it's sister Souplantantion, but here you go...

Joan's Broccoli Madness Salad
Souplantation aka Sweet Tomatoes
6 - 8 servings

1 bunch uncooked broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/2 cup cashews
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped red onion

Dressing

1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
2 tabl. apple cider vinegar

Mix the broccoli, bacon, cashews, raisins and onions in a large bowl. In a second bowl, beat dressing ingredients together gently until smooth.

About 10 minutes before serving, toss the salad with the dressing to allow flavors to meld. Serve on chilled salad dishes.

:hug:You are the greatest. Thanks so much. I did in fact google but didn't put in Sweet Tomatoes name. Is that what you did? I just googled sweet broccoli salad and also broccoli slaw. I just couldn't remember what was in Sweet Tomatoes salad so decided to post the question hoping someone knew what I was talking about.

I googled Sweet Tomatoes Sweet Broccoli Salad recipe and found a bunch of stuff. I've found that the more specific you are the better the results. :thumbsup2

This sounds really yummy, I'm glad you asked :)

It is yummy! I don't like raw broccoli but this is so good. Bad part is the sugar and mayo so I think I will use light mayo and splenda.

Since Sandy was looking for a specific recipe this morning I didn't mention this, but I've made a version of this for years. Mine had peanuts instead of cashews & calls for equal amounts of sugar & vinegar, but I've found that when using Splenda that's too sweet for us. I tend to use 1/4 cup vinegar & 1/8 cup or 2 Tablespoons of Splenda. It's all a matter of taste.

There is a version listed in our Disney recipe thread from the Cape May Buffet that uses dried cranberries instead of raisins & sunflower seeds. They also use some celery in it which is really nice.

In case anyone is interested in that one...

Broccoli Cranberry Salad
from Cape May Buffet at the Beach Club

4 cups broccoli flowerettes (chopped fine)
1/4 cup diced celery
1 8 oz. pkg. dried cranberries
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds

Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cranberries, sunflower seeds and celery. Pour dressing over and toss. Keep refrigerated.

Mine doesn't use the cashews but does have a cup of shredded cheese. It's the dressing that makes it good. I second the recommendation to mix the dressing up but don't put it on the salad until a little bit before you serve. This salad isn't very good after about a day. We also use an electric knife to chop up our broccoli. We make smaller bites that way.

I actually steam the broccoli for just a couple of minutes and then plunge it into ice water to stop the cooking. It's still crisp but isn't raw (and it's really green too).

Thanks for posting about craisins. I use raisins which I'm not fond of but I love craisins so I'll try it with them next time.

I love using my crockpot but most recipes are so "wintery". Does anyone have any good spring and summery type recipes to post?

greeneeyes, I made the Sweet Tomato recipe and it turned out yummy. Thank you! I thought it was too sweet but my hubby loved it. Personal taste I guess.

Sometimes I use green onions instead of red onions so the salad won't be so oniony. I haven't used craisens but those would make it look as pretty as the red onions do. Lots of choices to put in what you like.

I was over at my SIL's and had the salad. She puts in grapes. That was really good! She also puts in shredded cheese but I don't think I liked that version.

I have a subscription to Taste of Home, Healthy Recipes. This month's issue has one similar but I am sure a heck of a lot better for you.

Crunch Broccoli Salad

8 cups broccoli florets
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup dried cranberries
3 T canola oil
3 T seasoned rice vinegar
2 T sugar
¼ cup sunflower seeds
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, onions, and cranberries. In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar and sugar; drizzle over the broccoli and toss to coat. Chill until serving. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and bacon.

(Don’t have seasoned rice vinegar? Use regular rice vinegar mixed with 1 ½ tsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt, or a mild vinegar like white wine vinegar or cider vinegar)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter