Swan or Dolphin

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by kermit116, Jul 9, 2013.

1. kermit116

kermit116 "Here you leave today and enter the world of yeste

We are looking at a trip during F&W and will be staying at either the Swan or Dolphin. We will h e a rental car. I understand the Swan is a Westin, which in my experience is generally nicer than a standard Sheraton.

But, it looks like some of the Dolphin rooms face Epcot? And which hotel was renovated recently.

The prices are pretty close for our short stay (4 days), so we're looking for a nice, convenient option that affords some level of luxury (even though it's not a WDW Deluxe).

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

Yes, Westin usually are a step above Sheraton, but not necessarily so here.

Some rooms at the Swan and Dolphin do face Epcot, but you have to book them specifically and pay more. The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin which can have long meandering walks down hallways to get to your room.

The Dolphin does have more dining and the fitness center in its building, but whichever you stay in you have access to the facilities of both.

I have stayed in, and enjoyed, both resorts. Which hotel is better depends more upon which specific room you are staying in rather than which of the 2 buildings you are in.

4. Marthasor

Marthasor DIS Veteran

We stayed at Dolphin last Dec. and really enjoyed it! We chose Dolphin over Swan only because it was less money. I do prefer the lobby in the Dolphin over the Swan, though and I preferred the food options at the Dolphin as well. The service we received from all staff members was excellent.

We did not book a park view room, however, I joined SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) and had my number linked to my reservation. That's starwood's free loyalty rewards program. I was given a free room category upgrade because of my SPG membership and ended up with a view of the EP fireworks AND could see the fireworks from DHS Fantasmic - it was fun!

5. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

One other note, the Swan has queen beds as the Dolphins only have full size beds.

6. mrsswat

mrsswat Irishtinksmama

don't forget both offer many discount options - nurses, teachers, education support staff, AAA, AP... We liked the Swan for the queen beds, but the Dolphin for the view we had of the Boardwalk. :thumbsup2

7. kermit116

kermit116 "Here you leave today and enter the world of yeste

Thanks for these tips.

Any idea if the Dolphin has been renovated recently? I thought I heard that some of the Dolphin rooms were renovated, but not all?

Any tips for getting a renovated room? I assume if we reserve a higher priced/higher category room we'll be more likely to get a renovated room?

Also, based on reading some online reviews on other sites, it sounds like the Swan has not been renovated & is in need of some updating. Any idea if anything at the Swan has been updated?

8. jperrot1

jperrot1 Fantasmic

I'd go with Swan for the bigger beds. They are really comfortable 2 years ago when we stayed there.