SWA: Transferring Points to Minor Child's RR Account??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I have a RR account set up for myself, spouse and 2 children. Our RR Visa is linked to my RR account so I have the bulk of the points. We recently took our first flight which required us to use cash to buy our tickets so each of our kids now has just over 1,000 points each.

I received an offer to earn bonus points when you transfer your RR points to another account. Basically, I could transfer 12K of my points into my daughter's account for $120. With the bonus, her account would be credited 16,800 points. That boils down to about $0.007/point. That seems like a bargain so please check my math. For example, our upcoming trip is FNT-MCO and it would be 14,834 points or $256. If I used those points, the "actual" cost would only be about $103. Heck, even the $120 cost to transfer them would save $136....what am I missing?

If I did the transfer, am I correct in assuming that I would just book any future flights for our family using her account until those points are used up?

This sounds like it is WAY too good to be true so please help me figure out what I am missing:flower3:.

CAN you transfer to a minor's account? With Alaska I can't do anything with DS's points but use them; no transferring in or out if memory serves. So check on that, definitely.

If you transfer 12,000 points to her, she gets 16,800 total (12,000 plus 4800 bonus). If you are paying $120 for 4800 bonus points, that's $0.025 per point, because you already have the 12,000 and are only getting 4800 more. 14,834 x $.025 = $371.

I guess if you just want to get the extra points for an upcoming flight and paying $120 to get them is worth it to you to get the free flight, then you can do that. But you are using 12,000 of your points in addition to the $120 to buy the extra ones.

Last edited:
If you transfer 12,000 points to her, she gets 16,800 total (12,000 plus 4800 bonus). If you are paying $120 for 4800 bonus points, that's $0.025 per point, because you already have the 12,000 and are only getting 4800 more. 14,834 x $.025 = $371.

I guess if you just want to get the extra points for an upcoming flight and paying $120 to get them is worth it to you to get the free flight, then you can do that. But you are using 12,000 of your points in addition to the $120 to buy the extra ones.
Oh duh! I thought that was a little too good to be true! I figured I had to be missing something obvious...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter