SWA question: Can you change the name on a ticket?

Sammy

DIS Veteran
I am trying to book a weekend trip in January to celebrate my DD's 16th birthday....she wants to take 2 of her friends with us. Currently, I can get $49 OW tickets for the exact dates I want, but because the girls' high school basketball schedules are not out yet, we're not sure if they will both be able to go. If I book the tickets now, but one of the friends is unable to join us, can the ticket be transferred to another friend?? Would there be a charge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sammy said:
I am trying to book a weekend trip in January to celebrate my DD's 16th birthday....she wants to take 2 of her friends with us. Currently, I can get $49 OW tickets for the exact dates I want, but because the girls' high school basketball schedules are not out yet, we're not sure if they will both be able to go. If I book the tickets now, but one of the friends is unable to join us, can the ticket be transferred to another friend?? Would there be a charge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you book Ticketless Travel, then you have to cancel and rebook using existing funds...I think. That might be good or bad, depending on the price....

but, I think that's how it works.

If you purchase ticketless tickets (online) from Southwest no you can't just change a name. you need to

a. cancel the ticket - they will take the funds from this ticket and issue you an online credit they will send you an email confirming the cancelation and showing you the amount of funds you have on credit and the confirmation # - be sure to record the confirmation Number you will need this number.

b. Book a new ticket for the new friend, when it ask you if you want to use credit/coupon click yes and type in your refund confirmation number and your name. If the new ticket is more than your line of credit you will just need to pay the balance for the new ticket.

We have had to cancel and rebook on a number of occassions and have never had any problems doing this. We have also never been charged a fee for cancelling. You may have to pay more for the new ticket.

Also fyi the credit will stay on the books for two years and can be used towards the purchase of a ticket for anyone you choose - credit is not restricted to the individual whos original name was on the ticket (hope thats not confusing)

I'd get the ticket and hope for the best - you really will not lose anything by doing that.

Yes, your funds can be tranfered on SW and there is no fee.....2 of the major perks of SW!

KIm

I'm an online travel agent for Expedia (and we don't sell SW flights so I could be wrong) but I've never heard of any Airlines allowing namechanges.

Yes, your funds can be tranfered on SW and there is no fee.....2 of the major perks of SW!

True only if you cancel the ticket and then purchase an entirely new ticket in the new person's name. The money can be credited toward the new ticket without any penalty fees, but if you are close to departure date, the price is likely to be MUCH higher than what you originally paid on an Internet Special or DING! fare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter