SWA booking strategy - refresh my memory

LittleStinkerbelle

DIS Veteran
It's been a few years since I've booked a flight on SWA. I remember back then that I booked two one-way tickets instead of a round trip so that if one flight went down in price I could get a credit even if the other leg went up in price. Is this still the best "method" for booking with SWA? Thanks for the help!!!:goodvibes

You can do that if you want. Southwest fares are the same if you book them as separate flights or if you book round trip.

I normally book the round trips. If a price goes down, you can get the credit on one of the legs without a problem.

The major change SW has done since I think you've flown is the credit can only be used by the person under whose name the reservation had originally been made. Before the change I was able to use credits for anybody, like my kids.

The other thing you need to decide is if you are going to pay for early check in. We don't since, after being married 40+ years, sitting next to each other isn't required for a 2 hour flight!

You can do that if you want. Southwest fares are the same if you book them as separate flights or if you book round trip.

I normally book the round trips. If a price goes down, you can get the credit on one of the legs without a problem.

The major change SW has done since I think you've flown is the credit can only be used by the person under whose name the reservation had originally been made. Before the change I was able to use credits for anybody, like my kids.

The other thing you need to decide is if you are going to pay for early check in. We don't since, after being married 40+ years, sitting next to each other isn't required for a 2 hour flight!

Thank you so much for the info! I didn't realize you could get a credit on one leg with a round trip. For some reason I thought if one leg went down and one went up in price then the increase would go against any credit you could get.

I'm torn on EBCI. Thinking we might just do it for the return flight home although I do hate the stress of waiting right at the 24 hour mark on my home computer too:rolleyes:.

Thank you so much for the info! I didn't realize you could get a credit on one leg with a round trip. For some reason I thought if one leg went down and one went up in price then the increase would go against any credit you could get.

I'm torn on EBCI. Thinking we might just do it for the return flight home although I do hate the stress of waiting right at the 24 hour mark on my home computer too:rolleyes:.

At one time you had to split your round trip into 2 one ways if you wanted to rebook a DING! sale fare, so maybe that's why you're thinking of the split ticket method? I book as one ways sometimes and RT others...I can't remember now if you can add EBCI to just one way of your ticket if you book RT, though.

At one time you had to split your round trip into 2 one ways if you wanted to rebook a DING! sale fare, so maybe that's why you're thinking of the split ticket method? I book as one ways sometimes and RT others...I can't remember now if you can add EBCI to just one way of your ticket if you book RT, though.

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking of! Thank you. Good point about the EBCI - I'll have to check out the info on their site to see if I can find out before we book (or maybe it's just a good reason to get it on both legs!).

One downside to booking two one-way flights instead of a round trip is that if your first flight is canceled (due to weather, for example), they will only refund the one-way canceled flight. You would not also get a refund for the return flight unless it was part of a round trip.

Ask me how I know this. :headache:

One downside to booking two one-way flights instead of a round trip is that if your first flight is canceled (due to weather, for example), they will only refund the one-way canceled flight. You would not also get a refund for the return flight unless it was part of a round trip.

Ask me how I know this. :headache:

Oh dear - what a pain I hadn't even thought of that!

Thanks for all the advice - I went ahead and booked it as a round trip. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter