Surprising the kids with our first DCL cruise on the Dream!

DH and I spent the whole time comparing DCL to Carnival and RCI cruise we had been on. In the end he told me we could book a future cruise, but I just couldn't decide and waited too long to do it and I've been kicking myself ever since.

DCL is wonderful. We never did decide definitively if we thought it is worth the extra money's worth of wonderful but we are definitely glad we did it and if we have lots of cash laying around in the future, would like to do it again.

Ship: Pros - The Dream was a great ship, beautiful. Love the colors and the Disney everywhere, loved the ships horn and announcement tones. The room was the biggest we have ever had and the split bathroom was nice. there was something for everyone of every age to enjoy from little ones through teens to adults in and out of the kids clubs. On the sea day DS 6 and DS10 had a ball playing Mid Ship Detective Agency. Not sure where DS12 was, probably off playing mini golf. Cons - It was so crowded. Especially during the special events when everyone had to come and go from one spot. We went in early September and it was super hot out on deck (not the ship's fault) but the pools were warm, the showers were warm it was just hot.

Kids Clubs: My boys participated in the Oceaneers Lab, Oceaneers Club and the Edge Club. DS10 enjoyed the games he played in the Edge, he also enjoyed a cooking class there. DS6 enjoyed the Oceaneers Lab and Club enough to even go without his brothers, which says A LOT! The CMs were wonderful with the kids, they had computers and games to play on and lots of interactive activities, the characters even stopped by. And we got to do some fun things in there with him. This was definitely an area where Disney excelled over the other lines we have been on. Con - Check in and check out could be a little crazy when there were a lot of parents trying to drop off and pick up, it was hard to tell where the line began.

Shows: My boys and probably DH too (although he knew better than give me a hard time about my plan, lol) gave me a hard time about going to the show the first night. After the first night they were sold. They loved the shows, probably one of their favorite parts of the cruise. Once again, something for every age. No cons here. Bring some movie theater candy to bring to the shows.

Food: I personally liked the food better on both Carnival and RCI, but DH said he liked DCL and RCI both the same and better than Carnival. It was neat to move restaurants while keeping the same servers. We started in Animator's Palate and the boys kept wanting to go there again, but it was only a 4 night cruise so we couldn't. The servers were wonderful. They felt like family even after just 4 nights. The food by the pool was decent, typical cruise buffet food. Plenty of kid friendly stuff.

Gotta run to soccer practice, be back to finish the overall review. Any questions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!