Surprising the Kids with a NYE Trip! Jan '16 PTR (Update 12/29 We're off! See ya in 10 days!)

That's great news on your flights! :yay: It's wonderful when things end up better than you expected!

Hooray for your ME reservation as well. I think you'll love the luggage service - we're big fans. :thumbsup2

Thanks Jenny! I can't believe you're still posting on everyone's PTRs & TRs! Shouldn't you be packing for your mega trip??! :laughing: I can't believe you're leaving Saturday! *Eeep!* :hyper:

I used the luggage service this trip for the first time and found it great! Pack a change of clothes and you'll be fine. It was nice to not have to worry about the bags.

Lol! The TAGS! If Disney can make your luggage experience with your in-laws great, i'm totally doing it! :lmao:

Thinking of packing extra clothes, bathing suits, toothbrushes... what else do you think we'll need in our cary-on if we get in at 6:00 am and can't check in until 4:00 pm?

Okay! So now that our flights are booked and we have OUR schedule all figured out, I decided to consult Touring Plans'see crowd calendar to try & get the rest of our park days nailed down* and possible ADRs.

(*As we all know "nailed down" means: my plans are absolutely firm... until I change my mind again! :rotfl2:)

So here's what I have in mind. A couple things are still up in the air. I'll note those in
PINK along with my thinking. The first couple days are pretty detailed in my head just because I've been stressing about those the most. The rest are definitely more go-with-the-flow. Feel free to poke holes where you see snags. :thumbsup2

Day 1. 12/30/15

Arrival day! Flight arrives @ MCO 6:05 am! :eek:
Magical Express to AKL Kidani (Check in isn't until 4:00 pm, right? This means we have time to kill!)
Bus to Magic Kingdom! Crowd Level 10/EMH 2:00 am

Breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace (Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger)- Since we are now leaving too early on our departure day to venture to the MK for this must-do breakfast, I thought it might be fun for our arrival day! How long do you guys think it will take from airport to Park? Is 10:00 am a realistic time for an ADR? Is this just a bad idea?
Stay in the MK through the Christmas parade then back to AKL.
Hopefully our room will be ready! If not, then pool time. (We'll pack our swim suits in our cary-ons)
Explore the resort, nap, rest

Dinner ADR @ Sanaa - I was sort of thinking it would be nice to have a sit-down meal since we'd probably be kind of tired. On the flip side... we might not feel like a sit down meal because we'll probably be tired. I still don't know about this one. Thoughts?
Return to the MK late to see Holiday Wishes & the preview of Fantasy in the Sky.
Back to AKL
Bed time!

Day 2. 12/31/15
New Year's Eve!
Bus to Hollywood Studios! Crowd Level 10/ EMH 2:00 am
Grab a quick breakfast in room or snacks at the park
Arrive prior to rope drop
Stay in HS until 11:00 am or just after the first Indiana Jones show finishes
Return to AKL
Lunch @ the Mara
Pool/resort time, naps

Return to HS/ Dinner ADR @ 50's PTC or SciFi Dine-In - Not sure which one to choose; to be honest, it will probably depend on which I can actually secure a late ADR for! I'm leaning toward SciFi, even though I personally would prefer 50's but I think SciFi would be a better fit and here's why: We're in WDW longer than we'll have DP credits for PLUS I really, really want to do CRT this trip which means we'll have about 3 meals we'll have to do OOP. SciFi is relatively inexpensive so I figured this could be one of our OOP meals. Also, in reality my family would probably like the food better at SciFi. I absolutely LOVE 50's comfort food (mmmm... pot roast... drooool) but Eric does not. He calls meat loaf "hunk of meat dinner" and refuses to buy fried chicken because he "doesn't want to pay for bones." The kids won't eat mashed potatoes or green beans, although they'd get a kick out of the theatrics. SciFi's menu would really appeal to them and the cars are really cool. Anyhoo... that's the delima.
The rest of the evening will be about enjoying the NYE festivities!
Will probably try & see Osborne Dancing Lights
NYE Fireworks!

Day 3. 1/1/16
New Year's Day!
Sleep in a bit
Uber ride share to Polynesian
Breakfast ADR at O'hanna (Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, Pluto)
Monorail to Epcot! Crowd Level 9

Days 4-9 in the next post...

Last edited:
Day 4. 1/2/16
This day is still kind of up in the air. Leaning toward another Magic Kingdom day but possibly an Animal Kingdom day. I may even just leave it open an let the kids decide where they want to go THAT DAY! Spontanaity! Yay! :scared: What do you think? Would you do 3 MK days with only 1 day at AK? Or 2 at MK and 2 at AK?

Magic Kingdom Crowd Level 9
*If the new Jungle Cruise restaurant is open by this time and its as cool as it potentially could be we may just have to do MK this day anyway. :thumbsup2
Animal Kingdom Crowd Level 7

Dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon Caffè

Day 5. 1/3/16
Bus to Animal Kingdom! Crowd Level 7/ EMH 8:00 am
I had originally scheduled this day for Hollywood Studios but since Morning EMH is predicted for this day at AK, I switched it. We really, really like Morning EMH and always get a ton done. Hopefully the actual Disney park schedules will come out before I have to make ADRs!!
Dinner ADR at Tusker House (Donald, Daisy, Mickey, Goofy in safari gear)

Day 6. 1/4/16
Bus to Hollywood Studios! Crowd Level 9
We will be trying for Jedi Training Academy this day. Josh loves it and Ev says she wants to try it! I'm actually secretly hoping for additional Star Wars stuff to be in the park because Episode VII will have just come out. What do you think? I read an article about a ball-shaped droid they were working on to "greet" in the parks but maybe it will only be for SWW. I don't know but i'm crossing my fingers!
Dinner (Lunch?) ADR at Mama Melrose Fantasmic! Package

I'm booking this restaurant for the Fantasmic! Package. I know Mama's gets very mixed reviews but that's true for a lot of Disney restaurants too. A lot of recent stuff is pretty positive so I thought we'd give it a try. I know the F! Package can be kind of tricky to book so I'm hoping with it being a little later in the trip I'll have a better chance at booking a later time. (If they ever make H&V permanently a Star Wars dinner, I'd switch in a heartbeat!)

Day 7. 1/5/16
Bus to Epcot! Crowd Level 6/ EMH 8:00 am
Dinner ADR at Tepan Edo
Illuminations

Day 8. 1/6/16
The dreaded Last Full Disney Day! :sad:
Bus to Magic Kingdom! Crowd Level 4

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - this is a must-do. Ev has been dreaming of this for two years ever since her cousin came back talking about it! Just have to think of something special for Josh too. He's already done Pirates League and ate up every second of it... but he was 5... not sure he'll like it as much at 9 :confused3 but he might! He's kind of a young soul, still loves stuffed animals and Disney Jr... I just know I don't want to do them on the same day if we do both PL & BBB. Suggestions?
Lunch ADR at BOG!
Dinner ADR at Cinderella's Royal Table! (Princesses - Cinderella, Jasmine, Snow White, Ariel, Aurora)

Day 9. 1/7/16
Departure day! Nooooooo! :sad2:
Breakfast ADR at Boma
Probably an 11:00 am ME back to MCO
Flight departs at 2:00 pm - Goodbye Mickey!!

Well, that's the plan for now... until it changes. Only a little over a month until I can book those ADRs!! :cool1:

Last edited:

(*As we all know "nailed down" means: my plans are absolutely firm... until I change my mind again! :rotfl2:)
You and everyone else here on the boards! :D
So here's what I have in mind. A couple things are still up in the air. I'll note those in PINK along with my thinking.
I really love the option of different colored text on the site. I'm currently using it to track our Disney film history and find it quite helpful to color code everything.
Dinner ADR @ Sanaa - I was sort of thinking it would be nice to have a sit-down meal since we'd probably be kind of tired. On the flip side... we might not feel like a sit down meal because we'll probably be tired. I still don't know about this one. Thoughts?
We LOVE Sanaa! Our family just fell for it on our last trip, many options no matter your preferred diet. Good food for meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans here if Indian food is a favorite!
Return to the MK late to see Holiday Wishes & the preview of Fantasy in the Sky.
Oh this sounds like such fun!
Return to HS/ Dinner ADR @ 50's PTC or SciFi Dine-In - Not sure which one to choose; to be honest, it will probably depend on which I can actually secure a late ADR for! I'm leaning toward SciFi, even though I personally would prefer 50's but I think SciFi would be a better fit and here's why: We're in WDW longer than we'll have DP credits for PLUS I really, really want to do CRT this trip which means we'll have about 3 meals we'll have to do OOP. SciFi is relatively inexpensive so I figured this could be one of our OOP meals. Also, in reality my family would probably like the food better at SciFi. I absolutely LOVE 50's comfort food (mmmm... pot roast... drooool) but Eric does not. He calls meat loaf "hunk of meat dinner" and refuses to buy fried chicken because he "doesn't want to pay for bones." The kids won't eat mashed potatoes or green beans, although they'd get a kick out of the theatrics. SciFi's menu would really appeal to them and the cars are really cool. Anyhoo... that's the delima.
We're also planning to do Sci-Fi OOP as we usually share lunches and the atmosphere alone makes this one look like it will be a good time! Whichever you choose I hope you have fun!
I regret missing these last time and have heard terrific things about them!
Magic Kingdom Crowd Level 9
If the new Jungle Cruise restaurant is open by this time and its as cool as it potentially could be we may just have to do MK this day anyway. :thumbsup2
Oooh I hope it is open by then and you guys get to experience it!
Bus to Hollywood Studios! Crowd Level 9
We will be trying for Jedi Training Academy this day. Josh loves it and Ev says she wants to try it! I'm actually secretly hoping for additional Star Wars stuff to be in the park because Episode VII will have just come out. What do you think? I read an article about a ball-shaped droid they were working on to "greet" in the parks but maybe it will only be for SWW. I don't know but i'm crossing my fingers!
The spherical droid is bb8, and is an adorable addition to the cast, also the technology to make it is pretty cool!
(If they ever make H&V permanently a Star Wars dinner, I'd switch in a heartbeat!)
DITTO! :D
Dinner ADR at Tepan Edo
Yummy, Teppan Edo is such fun!
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - this is a must-do. Ev has been dreaming of this for two years ever since her cousin came back talking about it!
Awww
Just have to think of something special for Josh too. He's already done Pirates League and ate up every second of it... but he was 5... not sure he'll like it as much at 9 :confused3 but he might! He's kind of a young soul, still loves stuffed animals and Disney Jr... I just know I don't want to do them on the same day if we do both PL & BBB. Suggestions?
We've not done BBB or Pirate's League, but Pirate's looks like it would appeal to a wide variety of ages for both boys and girls.
Lunch ADR at BOG!
Can't wait to hear about this!
Your plans look great and I hope you get every ADR you wish for! :tinker:

and the sounds he/she/it? (what do you refer to a droid as?!) makes are just freaking cute as can be! We CANNOT BLEEPING WAIT for the next Star Wars film in Dec.!!!

I KNOW!! :hyper: I've been a huge JJ Abrams fan since Alias. I was a hopeless Lostie. So Star Wars + Mr. Abrams has got me *almost* as excited as our Disney trip! It's gonna be epic!! :rainbow: :yoda::ewok::darth::chewy:

You made the mistake of asking my opinion. Now you'll get it.

Breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace (Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger)- Since we are now leaving too early on our departure day to venture to the MK for this must-do breakfast, I thought it might be fun for our arrival day! How long do you guys think it will take from airport to Park? Is 10:00 am a realistic time for an ADR? Is this just a bad idea?

I am not a big fan of having an ADR within 4 hours of a flight landing. I've only done it twice, the first time our flight was delayed and we didn't make it. The second time (in 2013) we did, but again I generally avoid it. If you are insistent on breakfast, I would consider the latest ADR possible. Or just do lunch. (Love CP lunch!)

I was sort of thinking it would be nice to have a sit-down meal since we'd probably be kind of tired. On the flip side... we might not feel like a sit down meal because we'll probably be tired. I still don't know about this one. Thoughts?

Love Sanaa. Can't tell you whether this is the best choice, but definitely you should take the time to eat there at least once!

You are a brave woman to dare brave NYE crowds with an exhausted family. I look at your first day and think you are overly ambitious for coming off a red-eye. I don't know your family of course, but that's my initial thought. At least on the time change it won't seem so late. I hope you are allowing people to sleep in on Day 2 !!!

Return to HS/
Dinner ADR @ 50's PTC or SciFi Dine-In - Not sure which one to choose; to be honest, it will probably depend on which I can actually secure a late ADR for! I'm leaning toward SciFi, even though I personally would prefer 50's but I think SciFi would be a better fit and here's why: We're in WDW longer than we'll have DP credits for PLUS I really, really want to do CRT this trip which means we'll have about 3 meals we'll have to do OOP. SciFi is relatively inexpensive so I figured this could be one of our OOP meals. Also, in reality my family would probably like the food better at SciFi. I absolutely LOVE 50's comfort food (mmmm... pot roast... drooool) but Eric does not. He calls meat loaf "hunk of meat dinner" and refuses to buy fried chicken because he "doesn't want to pay for bones." The kids won't eat mashed potatoes or green beans, although they'd get a kick out of the theatrics. SciFi's menu would really appeal to them and the cars are really cool. Anyhoo... that's the delima.

We've eaten at both restaurants. I like the Sci-Fi better as an experience, though I think the food is better at PTC. Sci-Fi is definitely a good choice for an OOP meal, we've done the same. PTC is not a terrible OOP choice either. Either place you should get a milkshake! They are GREAT. (And large enough to share.) We usually get the Oreo Milkshake at Sci-Fi, but last time got a Red Velvet Milkshake at PTC and OMG!

Day 4. 1/2/16
This day is still kind of up in the air. Leaning toward another Magic Kingdom day but possibly an Animal Kingdom day. I may even just leave it open an let the kids decide where they want to go THAT DAY! Spontanaity! Yay! :scared: What do you think? Would you do 3 MK days with only 1 day at AK? Or 2 at MK and 2 at AK?

We are big AK fans, so typically we like 2 days there. However, this gives you two days in a row. However, one of your MK days is 12/30/15, and I would bet you will get very little done that day, so maybe good idea to leave this one a TBD.

There may be some sort of M&G around that time. Lines will be massive if there are.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - this is a must-do. Ev has been dreaming of this for two years ever since her cousin came back talking about it!
Just have to think of something special for Josh too. He's already done Pirates League and ate up every second of it... but he was 5... not sure he'll like it as much at 9 :confused3 but he might! He's kind of a young soul, still loves stuffed animals and Disney Jr... I just know I don't want to do them on the same day if we do both PL & BBB. Suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is are their rides that you think he would really like that Ev wouldn't? Maybe your husband could take him on some rides solo while she's doing the BBB thing. Can't think of anything else though.

I've never eaten at 50PTC, but I personally LOVE Sci-Fi. I've always done it OOP. The price isn't much more than you'd pay for a chain restaurant like Applebees or TJIFridays.

I'm enjoying this PTR!! My family and I will be there around the same time and it's a little comforting at least that we are all struggling with the same issues.

Personally i think this is a great idea, but i would get the latest breakfast time you can get, i have a feeling it wont take long to get from airport to the hotel at that hour, but you may need to wait for a bus....

i don't think i would book this, I just know i would feel to overwhelmed after the overnight flight, and would wan the option to skip and do QS or early to bed... you can always try to grab and ADR same day if you feel you need a TS

Dinner ADR @ 50's PTC or SciFi Dine-In - Not sure which one to choose; to be honest, it will probably depend on which I can actually secure a late ADR for! I'm leaning toward SciFi, even though I personally would prefer 50's but I think SciFi would be a better fit and here's why: We're in WDW longer than we'll have DP credits for PLUS I really, really want to do CRT this trip which means we'll have about 3 meals we'll have to do OOP. SciFi is relatively inexpensive so I figured this could be one of our OOP meals. Also, in reality my family would probably like the food better at SciFi. I absolutely LOVE 50's comfort food (mmmm... pot roast... drooool) but Eric does not. He calls meat loaf "hunk of meat dinner" and refuses to buy fried chicken because he "doesn't want to pay for bones." The kids won't eat mashed potatoes or green beans, although they'd get a kick out of the theatrics. SciFi's menu would really appeal to them and the cars are really cool. Anyhoo... that's the delima.
WELL i liked SciFI last time i went, but i am dying to try 50's so i am a bad one to ask....

The rest of the evening will be about enjoying the NYE festivities!
NYE Fireworks!
JEALOUS :wizard: <--- that's a new years hat and a noise maker not a wizard...

Overall i think your plans look amazing, i am not sure what you could do with Josh if you aren't going to do the Pirates league the same day as BBB but maybe just a hair cut at harmony barber shop?

I know I'm super duper late, but I'm heeeeeere! Checking-in for planning duty! :cutie: Off to get myself caught up now!

You made the mistake of asking my opinion. Now you'll get it.

:rotfl2:You know I value your opinion, pete!

You are a brave woman to dare brave NYE crowds with an exhausted family. I look at your first day and think you are overly ambitious for coming off a red-eye

Totally. Basically the plan is to play this by ear. Once we check in we might want to just crash and that's completely okay. If we're up to it we'll go or maybe even watch from outside the park if we want to see the show without being squished by crowds. :crowded:

Red Velvet Milkshake at PTC and OMG!

Oh wow. You just said some magical words, right there!

However, this gives you two days in a row. H

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I think i'll just leave this day open and take a que from you & let the kids (or fate??) :eek:decide where we go. With crowds like they are for that weekend no one park is drastically better than another. :thumbsup2

I've never eaten at 50PTC, but I personally LOVE Sci-Fi. I've always done it OOP. The price isn't much more than you'd pay for a chain restaurant like Applebees or TJIFridays.

I'm enjoying this PTR!! My family and I will be there around the same time and it's a little comforting at least that we are all struggling with the same issues.

Thank you so much for joining in! :welcome: When are you guys going? It is very comforting knowing others struggle with these things too! Lol!

but i would get the latest breakfast time you can get,

I think i'm going to risk it and do a late breakfast! :scared: We really love the breakfast there and weren't that big of fans of their lunch. Maybe with a late breakfast and early dinner we could just get away with a snack in between! :thumbsup2

and would wan the option to skip and do QS or early to bed... you can always try to grab and ADR same day if you feel you need a TS

Good advice. I really, really want to try Sanaa but the more I think about it, the more I think we'll probably want to just grab quick service and head back to the room or poolside.

:wizard: <--- that's a new years hat and a noise maker not a wizard...

:rotfl2: i'll never look at this little wizard the same again!

maybe just a hair cut at harmony barber shop?

I like this idea! Last time he got his hair styled there with colored hair gel and confetti. It was only $5 and lasted two days (would have lasted longer if he didn't need a bath... :sad2:) A hair cut would be fun! I'very got to figure out a way to ask him without giving away the secret. :ssst:

I know I'm super duper late, but I'm heeeeeere! Checking-in for planning duty! :cutie: Off to get myself caught up now!

Billie!!! You're heeeree! :hyper:

:welcome: and thank you for joining in! I don't think almost 7 months prior to our trip counts as "really late" lol! I'm so happy to have you following along with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter