Surprising kids with trip - pros, cons, experiences??

I would never be able to keep the secret! We had our first trip last June, and surprised the kids on Valentine's Day with Disney goody bags, the keepsake park maps, planning DVD, countdown calendars and a certificate stating that they would be going--you've never heard such screaming and seen such dancing around! After that, our house was constantly in Disney mode! They helped choose restaurants, plan our days. . .everything! We had Disney movie nights every Friday night to watch some of the movies they'd never seen. We had the best time planning all those months. . .and we're already planning for June 2009!:rotfl:

Being surprised that we were going to Disneyworld is my most favourite memory!! This was way back in March, 1983.

A couple days before the departure date, we were told we were going to be driving to see my Grandparents.

We woke up at the crack of dawn - and while we waited for Mom and Dad to finish packing the car, I spied the National Geographic yellow container of US Maps sitting by Mom's purse.

I asked Mom "Why do we need the US Maps if we're going to Grandma & Grandpa's house".

Mom looked at Dad, stopped for a moment and then said "We need the maps so we can figure out how to drive to Disneyworld"

I jumped up and down and screamed and my poor little sister sat down and started crying because she had really wanted to see my grandparents. I remember looking at her and saying "DISNEYWORLD - (singing) M I C K E Y M O U S E - you know, like on the TV every Sunday night? We're going to Disneyworld!!"

We're going for the first time with our kids this year and they are not going to know until we get into the car. Hopefully the memory of being surprised will be their favourite memories too!

We surprised our DD (then 3) back in December 2004. We packed up the car the night before and the next morning drove her to day care. While in the parking lot, we asked her if she wanted to go to school or to Disney World. She of course answered Disney World. We said okay, reversed the car and drove to the airport. She was so quiet and after a few minutes asked where we were going. It was so hard to keep it from her, but so worth it. I have it all on video. She loves watching it. :cutie:

We surprised our DD (then 3) back in December 2004. We packed up the car the night before and the next morning drove her to day care. While in the parking lot, we asked her if she wanted to go to school or to Disney World. She of course answered Disney World. We said okay, reversed the car and drove to the airport. She was so quiet and after a few minutes asked where we were going. It was so hard to keep it from her, but so worth it. I have it all on video. She loves watching it. :cutie:

That is too funny!:rotfl:

That's probably the reaction we'll get from DD when we get to the airport and she realizes we're going with Nanny and Uncle Eddie to Disney!

We are suprising my nephews (11 & 8) with their first trip to WDW in Dec. It will also be their first time flying. If we told them about it now the little guy would spend the next 7 months, 3 weeks and a day working himself into a paralyzing fear of flying so a surprise it will be!!

My plan is to tell them that we have to take Uncle B to the airport for a business trip but that I've made special arrangements with the airline to allow us to accompany him to his flight since they've never seen a plane close up before.

I'll have to enlist the FA's help for the next part, but I'd like to have them put the personalized Mickey Ears on their seats for them to discover when we're boarding "just to check things out".

The one flaw in my plan that I can see is that I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to manage to get them strapped to their seats for take off after the big reveal!! :rotfl:

DNiece was really scared her first time flying (which was for the suprise WDW trip). So it really helped that she have very little time to think about it. I brought the WDW for Kids planning book, and kept her busy talking about the trip before takeoff, so it helped keep her calm (and focused on something other than the fact she was flying).

We did our first trip by having DDs input the entire time. This last year we told her that we were going again, but we didn't know exactly when. She enjoyed getting to help plan, but was still surprised when we woke her up early one morning and told her it was time to go.

So...enjoy the Best of Both Worlds!

I'm taking DD on a surprise trip in June. We always do a mother/daughter trip after school is out, this year I just decided I can't wait until January to go back to WDW and would take her there. She has no clue. I am going to try to keep it a secret atleast until we're in the airport. She's been four times before and always knew, so I think this will be a cool surprise.

Personally I could never do that. I enjoy the planning and the discussion with my son too much to deny us both that part of the fun. Our experience would be lessened by just springing it on him.

We had our first trip last Oct. Its was great, but DS5 drove me nuts for 5 months before it... everyday it was .. is today the day etc lol. Next time I will keep it a secret, i cant wait to see his face!!

We went last September for our first trip and told our girls ahead of time. For months, I kept hearing "when are we going". We are going again for free dining and this time we are planning on surprising our girls. I haven't decided how to do it yet, though. We leave Aug. 30 which is the day after my dd's 6th birthday, so I'm not sure if I should reveal it to her on her birthday or wait until we get in the car and leave (we'll be driving).

I didn't read all the response, but you can tell by my sig line, I believe in surprises!! Jan was our 3rd surprise. Nothing compares to it. The first two times we told them on the way to the airport, this time we told them the afternoon before. My kids are getting big enough to notice that ALL their clothes are not in their rooms!!! We had to pack for uncertain weather, so I had to pack a lot, and they def. would have noticed. They actually ask us to surprise them and not tell months ahead of time-they can't stand it!! Dh doesn't understand this as he thinks it's something to look forward to-which it is- but they just go nuts with 6 months of knowing...So, we surprise them-what would be better than that for a surprise, I ask you?:) Def. do the surprise!!!

We surprised DD last year. We came home from her soccer game at about 3pm. Told her to change her clothes we were going out to dinner. We left at 4:30 from the Jersey Shore stopped at a Denn'ys in VA. She thought it was the best meal ever. Then we told her we were going to take a long time to get home as we wanted to stop somewhere first. She did not know untill we pulled up to the gate and told her to look out the window. We asked her what the sign said and She replied
WALT DISNEY WORLD OMG I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO COME HERE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter