Surprised Not All Hospitals Have All Private Rooms

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I was a patient at our local hospital over 2 years ago, when I had a second blood clot develop (in my arm, first one was in my leg back in 2003 and went to my lungs) and our local hospital had recently built a new "patient tower" with all private rooms, they said it was because of the "privacy laws." Very nice rooms, with lots of room to maneuver, a small loveseat and recliner, private bathroom, etc. They could shut the door and it was totally quiet. Loved it.

I "assumed" all hospitals had to be that way now, but I guess not. :( My Mom is in a large hospital in a large city and I was shocked the rooms are all 2-people to a room. Very small with two beds and all of the medical paraphernalia, and sharing a bathroom, only one chair per patient's visitor, and absolutely no privacy. We hear everything from the next bed, and what the patient and her doctor discuss, the nurses, etc. and they can hear everything concerning my Mom as well. Where's the "privacy?" Just seemed very strange to me.

Does your local hospital have all private rooms, or 2-person rooms too?

All are private
One of the BIG reasons we chose the rehab place for Mom , after first stroke, was the private room-most others were shared

NYC area, none are private. Ds12 had to stay overnight, and he did get a private room in the pediatric ward, but there was also a crib in the room, and another recliner, so set up for two. The only time I had my own room was in maternity, but again, just lucky (2 beds in every room). Hospitals with better NICU's here always have 2 to a room (which is why I stuck with mine with my twins).

It stinks having to listen to another person moan in pain, or have to listen to their visitors, but the population here is dense.

ETA, one hospital I found does have private rooms, recently added. Two others have limited private rooms for maternity only.

Last edited:
Pediatrics and Maternity are the only wards that are entirely private at our local hospital (which is the regional medical center for our area)

We have one hospital that specializes in cardiology that has all private rooms. All our other hospitals have 2 to a room, except maternity and post partum. I was lucky enough to share a room with a 24 hour chatterbox when I had my gallbladder out. Thankfully I brought my headphones and cranked the music up on my phone so I could ignore her and get some sleep.

Our county hospital has 4 to some rooms! Eeeps!

Last edited:
I've been in a room with six to a room when my son was born. We have "free" healthcare in Canada but you need insurance to upgrade to a private room. I had a csection and it was getting late and the lady the next bed over had a bunch of visitors show up who turned on the overhead lights and hung around talking loudly. Luckily I was on enough pain killers to not care. I still managed to fall asleep.

I was a patient at our local hospital over 2 years ago, when I had a second blood clot develop (in my arm, first one was in my leg back in 2003 and went to my lungs) and our local hospital had recently built a new "patient tower" with all private rooms, they said it was because of the "privacy laws." Very nice rooms, with lots of room to maneuver, a small loveseat and recliner, private bathroom, etc. They could shut the door and it was totally quiet. Loved it.

I "assumed" all hospitals had to be that way now, but I guess not. :( My Mom is in a large hospital in a large city and I was shocked the rooms are all 2-people to a room. Very small with two beds and all of the medical paraphernalia, and sharing a bathroom, only one chair per patient's visitor, and absolutely no privacy. We hear everything from the next bed, and what the patient and her doctor discuss, the nurses, etc. and they can hear everything concerning my Mom as well. Where's the "privacy?" Just seemed very strange to me.

I know that the hospital closest to my Mom's house has mostly 2 person rooms. At the hospital nearest my home, the only single rooms are in the maternity unit, most all the other rooms except isolation type rooms are doubles.

I have worked in several hospitals here in Canada and four bedded rooms are comman especially on medical and surgical units. There are doubles and only a few privates. On the unit I am on now, the use the privates for isolation precautions or one to one patients. When I had my kids, I was able to get a private due to our insurance plus paying a top up. They were on a first come first serve bases. When my eldest, I spent the first day in a 4 bedded ward prior to be moved into a private. Most of the newer maternity units are going towards private now though.

Eta: l&d are obviously private but at some hospitals you are moved to a post partum room which is not always private. Now they are moving towards suites in which you give birth in and then stay here.

Last edited:
Our Paediatric ward has private rooms as are all of the Labour & Delivery and some of mom & baby rooms ( rest are double). Partners are allowed to stay over in the private rooms, not the shared rooms for obvious reasons. I got one when DD was born as we had our extended medical paying for it. MIL had back surgery and was in a 4 bedded room for her week long stay post op. This is in Canada.

Our last experiences with in patent were with my FIL (Mayo in Rochester) and my Dad (hospital in Sioux Falls). Both had private rooms.

When my DD was in patient at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis, all rooms were private everywhere. It was very nice, with a couch that made into a semi-comfortable bed for a parent. :-)

I've only been hospitalized three times and had a private room all three times.

1. Small surgery center with 2 private rooms for patients who needed to stay overnight, complete with 2 nurses. They even ordered dinner from my favorite restaurant.
2. Stayed a few days with fever and vomiting and since I was possibly contagious, I got a private room.
3. Stayed 5 days due to surgery and the place only had private rooms. Before I knew that, I asked to be approved for a private room since I had asthma and if someone wearing perfume/cologne came to see a roommate, I'd have a coughing fit. That's a bad thing when you had a huge abdominal incision. The doctor and hospital said there was no need to get preapproval since ALL rooms were private. But I had a terrible time getting insurance to pay for that room. They kept going on and on about me getting a private room without preapproval and I couldn't get it through their heads that ALL the rooms were private, so I hadn't gotten an upgrade.

My maternity room was private but it could have been set up as a double if they needed the space. When my dd was in for rsv her room was private but she was considered highly contagious

In SE Michigan most rooms are not private, with L&D and post partum being the exception. I have worked at three major hospitals in my area as a RN and that is what I have seen.

The 3 near us have some private some shared rooms. I paid extra myself to have a private room after my double mastectomy in 2013. The maternity wards all have private rooms.

Varies by floor and hospital.

One hospital was rebuilt in a new location - brand spankin new, every single room is private with a sofa that converts to a bed. The other local hospitals are 2 per room....a few private rooms. Within the nest 10 years there will be another hospital rebuilt with all private rooms.

In NYC as well to a PP. Some rooms were private and some were shared. Depends on how much you are willing to pay. For maternity you almost have to know someone or make a big donation to get a private room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter