Suppose my mom comes for a few days to 'nanny' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa-upnorth

Disney Lover
We are staying at CB for 11 days in June.We have a 17 and 4 year old. My mother in Tampa offered to come and stay a few days with us to help out with the little one(who will poop out sooner than the rest of us). I figured mom could get her park tickets for a few days and join us in the parks.When the little one has had enough they could go back to the hotel and nap or swim.My question is-has anyone had an extra stay with them in their room for a few days? Since we would have 5 in our room if I tell the hotel she is coming it won't work.I was gonna do it on the sly;) Thoughts????I don't feel bad since I have paid for my room and am not getting anything more.What do you think?

It will get complicated with a room key for admission to any EMH, so that will not be possible. She could use an extra room key (we have asked for an extra key without charging privileges). You can request a roll-away for $15.00 a night, so you would have enough beds. As long as she has a tkt separate from the room key, it should not be a problem.

You'll need extra towels too, don't forget.

Some DIS folks will get upset, but no doubt it is done all the time and no one ever knows.

Good luck!

It's your decision, of course. If you're asking the question here because you're wanting people to tell you that it's OK to sneak Mom in, I'm afraid you're not going to get the answer you're looking for. It's a tough crowd here when it comes to rule-breaking. ;)

Looking at it in purely practical terms, it means that your mom won't have a resort ID, so she won't be able to join you in the parks for any EMH. It's also possible that she may be turned away from the pool area at CBR; I've heard that they're getting tougher about pool access since they got the fancy new pool.

Another practical concern....where is your mom going to sleep? The rooms and beds are small, and somebody's going to be sleeping on the floor if you try to put 5 people in there.

I certainly wouldn't find you at fault! Disney will already be sucking the lint out of your pockets! Will she have a car parked in the lot? I have never had a car on site, but do they check car passes or anything? However, an extra person is only $10.00 per night, so if you feel you need to be up front, it isn't too much money.

Edit: Sorry, I did not know that 5 people were not allowed in a room at this resort. I thought that you could have 4 people with a child under 3 in a crib. OOPS! That's why I suggested adding the $10 extra person fee to the reservation.

I can see this thread getting closed real fast. I don't agree with sneaking your mom in on the sly. Not a good idea.

Where will she sleep? You will only have two double beds in the rooms. If you need a room to sleep 5 take a look at Port Orleans Riverside. Or look into florida resident rates so that she can have her own room

I certainly wouldn't find you at fault! Disney will already be sucking the lint out of your pockets! Will she have a car parked in the lot? I have never had a car on site, but do they check car passes or anything? However, an extra person is only $10.00 per night, so if you feel you need to be up front, it isn't too much money.

It isn't a matter of paying $10 more, Disney simply will not put 5 people on the reservation for a room at CBR, as it would be in violation of the fire code.

1. CBR rooms will only sleep 4, as a pp mentioned it is a violation of the fire code to have 5 in a room. Also, someone would be sleeping on the floor.

2. Switch to POR and you can have a 5th person in the room, however if she is only coming for a few days, it could get tricky. Call Disney travel to figure out how to go about it. She will need a resort ID and a parking pass.

3. I believe an extra adult at a mod is $15 per extra adult per night.

I think only you can make that decision...that said, the room will only sleep 4. As mentioned already, someone would need to sleep on the floor. Also, if your Mom has her car, she would need to be on the reservation in order to get a parking pass for the parking lot.

I can totally relate...Disney isn't as accomodating for more than 4 in a room on a budget. We are going to Disney this fall, staying at Pop Century. My DD19 is going to join us for a couple of nights but since we are a family of five we can't all stay in one room. I couldn't figure out how to work having DD join us while we are on the free dining package, but she would only be there for part of the trip. I finally decided to put her in a room only reservation with a AAA discount for her two nights. The rest of us will have the free dinign package. The price is reasonable and it works out the best for us.

Not saying I agree with this post or anything. But can someone explain the whole "fire code" issue to me? I mean most hotels, not Disney, don't even ask how many people are occupying a room. Say for example a Hampton Inn or La Quinta, which I think the rooms are the same size as some if the Disney rooms. Is it that they just overlook the amount of people in the room? I think the issue with Disney is less about the "fire code" and more about making sure everyone is paying to be there. Don't get me wrong I love Disney and always follow the "rules" but I have been to some of the resorts and definately have seen more than the "legal" amount of people in it. Doesn't really bother me, I think I totally would not want that many people in my room. And I know people say things like but they are taking up space at the pools and parking spaces. In all the years I have been staying on site, I never felt I was being crowed out by Illegal people staying there.

I do feel like families of 5, which I am, really don't have too many options. Its either a family suite which costs much more than "value" price, two rooms at All Stars, POR, or Deluxes. Or maybe Coranado. Everything else seems to be 2 rooms.

Do what YOU feel is right!!pixiedust::wave2:

When you pay for a Disney vacation you are in essence agreeing to follow the rules they have. And one of those rules is that only 4 people can sleep in a room at CBR. Using how much a stay at Disney costs as a reason to break their rules is just silly.

Are you saying that your mom won't use any of the resort amenities? Cause she(and you) haven't paid for her to do that. I'm thinking she will use water, electricity, towels, take up space at the food court, or by the pool, or on the busses. You have only paid for 4 people to do all of those things, not 5 people. She maybe staying in your room for free, but the rest of those things do have a cost to Disney.

Not to mention the fact that you will be asked to leave the resort if you are caught. How embarassing that would be!

You should look for a room that will hold everyone legally. There are many choices. A Family Suite at ASMu, a room at POR, a Fort Wilderness Cabin, a room at the Poly, Contemporary, Beach Club, or 2 rooms anywhere.

If you are looking for people to tell you what you want to do is ok, you are looking in the worng place.

Not saying I agree with this post or anything. But can someone explain the whole "fire code" issue to me? I mean most hotels, not Disney, don't even ask how many people are occupying a room. Say for example a Hampton Inn or La Quinta, which I think the rooms are the same size as some if the Disney rooms. Is it that they just overlook the amount of people in the room? I think the issue with Disney is less about the "fire code" and more about making sure everyone is paying to be there. Don't get me wrong I love Disney and always follow the "rules" but I have been to some of the resorts and definately have seen more than the "legal" amount of people in it. Doesn't really bother me, I think I totally would not want that many people in my room. And I know people say things like but they are taking up space at the pools and parking spaces. In all the years I have been staying on site, I never felt I was being crowed out by Illegal people staying there.

I do feel like families of 5, which I am, really don't have too many options. Its either a family suite which costs much more than "value" price, two rooms at All Stars, POR, or Deluxes. Or maybe Coranado. Everything else seems to be 2 rooms.

Do what YOU feel is right!!pixiedust::wave2:

I always wondered about the fire code explanation too. I mean POR isn't really any different than any other mod and it allows 5 in a room. (actually, if I remember correctly, CBR rooms are larger than any of the other mods) I don't understand why the other mods can't also have a trundle bed as an option :confused3

I always wondered about the fire code explanation too. I mean POR isn't really any different than any other mod and it allows 5 in a room. (actually, if I remember correctly, CBR rooms are larger than any of the other mods) I don't understand why the other mods can't also have a trundle bed as an option :confused3

The fire code depends on things other than room size. Some of it has to do with how big the doorways are, if there are elevators in the building or not, how many stories the buildings have. Which is why at POR they allow 5 in the Bayou rooms. Those buildings are only 2 stories high, and don't have elevators. The Mansion sections are 3 stories high and have elevators. So no trundle beds in those rooms.

And to the previous poster, how would you know if the people at the resorts were legal or not? They only ask for IDs at some of the pools, and they don't ask for IDs by the busses.

cepmom, I never even thought of that, thanks for reminding me. You are corrct, why can't they put a trundle in the other resorts. I have read posts saying that when they run out of rooms at Riverside they put a cot in the Mansion section for parties of 5. So if it is really a "fire code" issue then Disney wouldn't be able to put cots in the Mansions.

The only way you pay for ech person in a room is if you are buying a package. If I book a room only and have 4 people in it or 1 person in it I still pay only the room only price. So does that mean I only have a set amount of electricity and water for a room only or do I get the same amount as the family that makes a package purchase?

Disney knows that people squeeze more than the "legal" number of people in the rooms. I have seen it before and have not seen anthing done about it. They are making money off of it regardless.

cepmom, I never even thought of that, thanks for reminding me. You are corrct, why can't they put a trundle in the other resorts. I have read posts saying that when they run out of rooms at Riverside they put a cot in the Mansion section for parties of 5. So if it is really a "fire code" issue then Disney wouldn't be able to put cots in the Mansions.

The only way you pay for ech person in a room is if you are buying a package. If I book a room only and have 4 people in it or 1 person in it I still pay only the room only price. So does that mean I only have a set amount of electricity and water for a room only or do I get the same amount as the family that makes a package purchase?

Disney knows that people squeeze more than the "legal" number of people in the rooms. I have seen it before and have not seen anthing done about it. They are making money off of it regardless.

Actually, Disney can put an occasional cot in different rooms. As long as they don't go crazy and have too many they will be within what ever head count each particular building is allowed. But if they had them in each and every room, they would have too many people. It is not how many people are in each room, but how many people total each building can hold.

And as far as paying for electricity and water, if you have a room that holds 4 people, 4 people are expected to be using those utilities. Not 5. And Disney expects you to have only 4 people taking up space at the food courts. Not 5. One extra person at a resort wouldn't have much of an impact. but if every single room had an additional person in it, there would be a huge impact! Think about how many complaints we have seen about how full the busses are. Add a few hundred more to that, people that Disney hasn't accounted for, and see how the busses are. Or add a few hundred more people with you in line at the food court, people Disney doesn't think will be there, and see how fast your service is.

What is so stinkin hard about just doing what you are supposed to do and follow the rules. Most of us post here because we love Disney, not because we are looking to see what we can get without having to pay for it.

Disney says 4 to a room at CBR. You either need another room, or you need to switch resorts.

wdisneyaholic said:
I think the issue with Disney is less about the "fire code" and more about making sure everyone is paying to be there
I think the issue with EVERY hotel in making sure everyone staying in it is registered and paying to stay there. No way is it limited to Disney. Heck, my other favorite vacation destination is Las Vegas - and those hotels generally charge for every guest beyond the first two - even a four-year-old.
Do what YOU feel is right!!
Or, you (in general) can do what the hotel owner feels is right, i.e. follow the rules of the house.

The fire code depends on things other than room size. Some of it has to do with how big the doorways are, if there are elevators in the building or not, how many stories the buildings have. Which is why at POR they allow 5 in the Bayou rooms. Those buildings are only 2 stories high, and don't have elevators. The Mansion sections are 3 stories high and have elevators. So no trundle beds in those rooms.

And to the previous poster, how would you know if the people at the resorts were legal or not? They only ask for IDs at some of the pools, and they don't ask for IDs by the busses.

Oh I get that there are other determining factors on fire codes, but as far as I know CBR and POR AB buildings are both 2 floors, no elevators. I guess I don't understand why POR can have a trundle and not CBR:confused3 It would make it so much nicer for familes of more than 4 to have a wider choice of resorts to stay at on a budget.

It would make it so much nicer for familes of more than 4 to have a wider choice of resorts to stay at on a budget.

I understand where you are coming from. I travel a lot with my sis and her family, so we end up as a group of 6. We would love to save some money and all stay in one room. We actually did POR as a legal 6 when her youngest was still a baby. But we realize that when we travel together (and not just to Disney) that we will need either a suite/villa of some kind, or 2 rooms. Disney is not all alone in having most resorts only hold 4 people. And they are probably one of the best at actually haing different options for larger families.

But just because I would like to save money and all stay in 1 room, that doesn't mean I am going to do it. Disney's resorts, their rules that I follow. If I don't like it, I can always choose to vacation elsewhere.

I understand where you are coming from. I travel a lot with my sis and her family, so we end up as a group of 6. We would love to save some money and all stay in one room. We actually did POR as a legal 6 when her youngest was still a baby. But we realize that when we travel together (and not just to Disney) that we will need either a suite/villa of some kind, or 2 rooms. Disney is not all alone in having most resorts only hold 4 people. And they are probably one of the best at actually haing different options for larger families.

But just because I would like to save money and all stay in 1 room, that doesn't mean I am going to do it. Disney's resorts, their rules that I follow. If I don't like it, I can always choose to vacation elsewhere.

we pretty much only travel to Disney, so I can't attest to other resorts but I'll take your word on it ;)

As much as I love to save money on a vacation, I do always abide by Disney's occupancy rules also. This goes for Disney Cruise as well, where we always have to get two rooms. Although, I will admit I do get annoyed when pricing out our trips for the five of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter