Sunwing launches $99+taxes return Florida flights

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by Jeffan1ca, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Jeffan1ca

Jeffan1ca Mouseketeer

Starting September 22 Sunwing has annouced they will have flights to Orlando from Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec City starting at $99.00. With taxes the total cost is $337.00. Those taxes get us each time. Not as cheap as flying Southwest out of Buffalo, but another alternative for those who want to fly out of Canada. Sunwing currently has a promotion that if you book before August 11, the 2nd ticket is 50% off ($51.00 + taxes). Two can fly for $626.00. Doesn't seem like 1/2 price but again its those taxes. For now it looks as though they have only Friday departures, with Sunday and Monday departures starting mid December.

Flights to St Pete's start Decebmer 15th.

website is flysunwing.com

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. canron

canron DIS Veteran

why would you pay that when you can fly out of buffao $150.00 canadian any time

4. Jeffan1ca

Jeffan1ca Mouseketeer

I hear you.

I have seen Southwest as low as $100.00 return with Dings. We alsways use Southwest but for some, Buffalo is not an option.

Southwest is not alway $150.00. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower. Our Southwest tickets this past February cost $284/person Canadian and I had got that price about 5 hours after they released the dates. All the cheap tickets were sold out by the time I got online and believe me I was checking alot for the dates to be released :). Still the tickets were cheaper than anything out of Pearson. Try as I might, when DINGs came or the price was lowered I was unable to exchange tickets because they didn't have enough seats available at the lower price. I had purchased 6 tickets and they usually didn't have that many seats available at the lower prices.

Currently Southwest flights for the same days I plugged in for Sunwing are $236.00 Canadian. If you stay the night before at a Buffalo airport hotel add anywhere from $75 - 100.00, plus gas/tolls onto at least 1 ticket which puts you at or above the price of Sunwing for that 1 ticket.

5. BitsnBearsMom

BitsnBearsMom <font color=green>We sure are lucky that way<br><f

Some people prefer to fly from Toronto or do it for convenience and don't always worry about spending a bit extra to do it - different strokes for different folks - if I'm spending thousands on a Disney vacation what's a few hundred more for the flight?!
    There's no way WE could have flown from Buffalo with my fil that has never ever flown before and is incredibly worried about doing so. His comfort for his first flight - being able to sleep at home the night before and flying from his 'home town' is worth the extra we are paying on Westjet - we think we did well to get $347 return!!

Great price Jeffan1ca - thanks for posting about it.

6. wee-haggis

wee-haggis DIS Veteran

7. Scratch42

Scratch42 <font color=navy>I Owe, I Owe, so Off to Work I go

Are they not a charter airline also, like Air Transat?

j

8. wee-haggis

wee-haggis DIS Veteran

Yes...but AT,Skyservice,Canjet,etc,etc are no better priced.
    Beleive me...I researched thoroughly (you may luck out in a last minute or sell-off with the Charter companies)

9. Scratch42

Scratch42 <font color=navy>I Owe, I Owe, so Off to Work I go

NO THANK YOU!

They can also change their flights without compensation to you!

Lost a full day due to Air Transat changing a flight from early morning to late at night!

I'll stick with SW!

j

10. FayeW

FayeW DIS Veteran

I just compared this airline for the flights I have already booked with Jetblue out of Syracuse.

First off, they aren't offering flights to Orlando from Ottawa, at least not yet. So I compared our dates for flights out ot Toronto. At first glance, the price was amazing; $49 from T.O to MCO, and $50. for the flight back! The tax + fees, on the other hand were more than 200%!!! $238 for fees brought our total to $337. Now, that by itself, is not an outrageous price to fly return to Orlando, and if it WAS available from Ottawa, I would probably book with them, but this price was DOUBLE what I paid on jetblue, (I had a credit) and SYR is closer.

11. Little Miss Liberty

Little Miss Liberty Mouseketeer

This is a great deal since I have been researching for dates in February and Sunwing is $300 cheaper than Westjet. Do they fly into MCO or another Orlando airport? And for those who have flown Sunwing before, do they have good service, do they generally fly on time and what terminal do they fly out from? (Toronto) Thanks :)

12. canron

canron DIS Veteran

my daughter got ding last friday for $39.00 each way for that price its the only option for me .but i hear you getting up early to get to buffalo is a worrie sometimes but you just prepare for it we fly 3 to 4 times a year on south west .we each got a free flight so its worth the worrie for me .but go any way you can and have fun thar what its all about .i was just trying to help you out

13. hawkaye19

hawkaye19 DIS Veteran

For those of us in Ottawa, there is a direct flight from Ottawa to Orlando, that so far has excellent departure from Ottawa times (4:30 pm) and departure from Orlando 8:30 pm....a direct flight so that I do not have to break the mile run in going from terminal 1 to terminal 2 ......priceless

Cheers

Bruce

14. FayeW

FayeW DIS Veteran

Bruce, I guess I need some technical assistance. When I go to www.flysunwing.com, and select Ottawa as my departure city, Orlando does NOT come up as one of my options for the Destination. Is there another link I have to go through to be able to find YOW-MCO?

15. hawkaye19

hawkaye19 DIS Veteran

FayeW,
    Right now it's $205 one way..but for me the convience outweighs the cost...just knowing once I get on the plane, I get off in Orlando at for my family are great times (did the 6 am flight one time...never again)

cheers

Bruce

16. Charleyann

Charleyann <font color=purple>Someone spilled the beans<br><f

Geez, if only these flights could come into the maritimes. Namely, Fredericton!
    We have no chaep flights hear. Cheapest out of Fredericton is 600.00. I'll take 337.00 and be happy with that.....how about you guys in Halifax?

Charleyann

17. Charleyann

Charleyann <font color=purple>Someone spilled the beans<br><f

Geez, if only these flights could come into the maritimes. Namely, Fredericton!
    We have no cheap flights hear. Cheapest out of Fredericton is 600.00. I'll take 337.00 and be happy with that.....how about you guys in Halifax?

Charleyann

18. FayeW

FayeW DIS Veteran

Thanks Bruce, I thought I was losing my mind!

I'm willing to pay for a certain amount of convenience, but I just can't justify paying more than $2K for my family of four to fly from Ottawa, when I can pay less than 1/2 that price and fly direct from Syracuse (and that includes the exchange rate!) Saving $1000 for driving 6 hours means I'm "earning" $160. per hour!

19. hawkaye19

hawkaye19 DIS Veteran

I agree it is always great to save money. We have done the long drive to save the connecting flight cost, and the get up early flight to get to WDW early on our first day. We just decided that we would 'bite the bullet' and take a direct flight from Ottawa

Cheers

Bruce

20. pxlbarrel

pxlbarrel <font color=teal>They won't allow any kind of cow

Hmmmm...yet another thread where those who actually prefer to fly out of Canada as opposed to a border city in the States are considered a bit loopy.

I can understand why people with a family of 4 or more (or somebody paying the bill for everybody on the trip) want to save money by flying out of the States. Please extend that same level of understanding to those of us who actually don't mind flying out of Canada. We're not crazy or like to spend lots of money.

I find it interesting that we have to explain in every single thread why we're not flying out of Buffalo. Gosh...it's as if we committed some sort of crime or something. :sad2:

21. MouseFaninQueue

MouseFaninQueue The CAMERAMAN can 'cause he mixes it with love and

I know here on the west coast for me to fly out of Vancouver it was going to cost us over $700 per person (closer to $800). Instead we managed to get a flight out of Seattle for $323 CDN return. Add to that the cost of a hotel and fuel of going to Seattle (fuel is pretty much negligible as I have to drive 700 kms to Vancouver anyhow) and I still come out ahead considering I have to buy 4 tickets (wife, daughter, myself and my sister).

Would have prefered out of Vancouver but I can't justify the cost difference.