Sunscreen Wipes

mrsminniemouse

DIS Veteran
Hi!
When we visit WDW next month DD will be 11 months old. Obviously, it is very important that we protect her from the fierce Florida sun. I am quite dark and tan well but she is extremely pale and has NEVER been exposed to sun before. We had a really hot summer here last year and I kept her in the shade all the time. Not so easy to do now she is more mobile.

In England we can buy 'Sunnies' which are wipes impregnated with sunblock which makes it really easy to apply and cconvenient to carry. I think they are made by Pampers and they are quite expensive just over £6 here ($11 approx)

Are they available in the US or should I bring them from home? Or can anyone recommend a great sunscreen for my little one?

I just bought her a darling little sunhat with a strap under the chin- she did not like it at all!!! I also have a surf suit style bathing costume which keeps her well covered while swimming, it has a hat with neck cover to match and it is SFP 30+ I believe.

Thanks in any advance for any help
Mandy ::MinnieMo

There are cloths like that here but mostly the baby stores carry them. I've never seen them in WalMart etc. I carry one with me all the time but generally rely on Water Babies brand for DD (the spf is 45). Actually DH and I use it as well since it's just simpler having one bottle. You can get that brand at WalMart or most any store. It comes in several different application methods (lotion, spray, stick).

I haven't seen sunscreen wipes in the stores here. You probably should bring them from home. You could buy a bottle of sunscreen at Walmart (Water babies is a good one or other brand made esp. for kids) and use that when buy the pool, etc.. and keep the wipes for in the parks.

There are sunscreen wipes available here. I think they're made by Water Babies (Coppertone?). I know I've seen them at Walgreen's and Toys R Us, but I'm not sure where you would find them in the WDW area.

Those things are hideously expensive in the US, too, and also hard to find. The most common ones for babies are SunBlankies; best online price I can find is $1.89 plus shipping for each wipe.
http://www.familymeds.com/familymed...opCat=Sun+Care&shopSubCat=Childrens+Sunblocks (There is another brand that is much cheaper that is sold in a pull-dispenser, but it is meant for men working on outdoor jobs; I'm not sure it's safe for babies, and it's certainly not convenient to carry.) If you really want the wipes and they turn out to be cheaper here, you could order some online and have them shipped direct to your resort; I don't think it is worth the hassle to waste time looking all over Orlando for them.
(You could also MAKE some, by buying some extra-strong paper towels, putting them in a leakproof tub, then pouring a bottle of sunscreen over the lot.) BTW, ordinary good-quality sunscreen in Florida tends to run about $10 for 4-6 oz.

My son has skin like this, too; translucent, really. (He gets it from me, my Irish family are pale as they come.) I have always used a combination of waterproof spray-on screen for his body and Neutrogena wax stick for his face/ears, and in nearly 7 years he's never gotten so much as a pink nose. Don't let her go more than an hour before completely reapplying sunscreen, and every 30 min. would be better if she's in water.

First I've ever heard of (or seen) the sunblock wipes..what a great idea! But as shown in that link...$9.99 for 4 wipes?? :eek:

That's absurd! :rolleyes:

I thought our wipes were expensive! The ones I quoted for £6/$11 was for a pack of 30 wipes, they aren't individually wrapped but in a pop up plastic bag like regular wipes. I had half a pack left from December's trip to WDW (didn't need them much) and I noticed I had bought them in a discount store for £4 (about $2.50) so my Mum is going to try and pick me up a couple of packs today.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I totally expected them to be much more widely available and cheaper in Florida....nearly everything else is for us!

Mandy ::MinnieMo

Coppertone makes a stick sunblock, kinda like a gluestick or a small solid deoderant style, that is great on kids faces. It's easy to apply, your hands don't get greasy and it kinda thick so kids don't rub it into their eyes as much. It's very handy to keep in a diaper bag and can probably be applied to other parts of the body. You can find these in drug stores like CVS or any store like Wal-mart or even a grocery store.:earsgirl:

I use moisturizer with sunscreen for my own face, as well as for DS (3) and DD (14 months). I use regular sunscreen on arms and legs, and necks. When we go to WDW (usually once a month), I often carry DD in a sling, so I also bring a small, Totes-style umbrella to keep the sun off of her (she is very hat-resistant, too!)

I have actually seen these sunscreen wipes at Wal-mart. They also have insect repellant wipes if anyone needs those. Hope this helps!:p

I used sunscreen wipes once with my kids and they got soo burnt. Never again. Now I use Coppertone sport spf 30, much better. And its not greasy feeling. The great thing was getting a small tube with a metal loop so I could attach it to my bag and just refilled it from the bigger tubes. A sunblock stick helps a lot too for quick touch ups on noses and under eyes.

All of you seem to know what you are doing. Our pediatrican said we have to protect our 8 month old from the Florida sun too. She said to wear long pants and long shirts (where can I find LIGHT WEIGHT long sleeves and pants for the summer?) and she told me not to put sun screen on her hands since she will just eat them... so how do I keep her little hands from getting burnt? (she is very pale just like me)

Avon sells the sunscreen wipes-well did last year because my mother gave us some to take with us. I loved them! So convenient.

Check with your Avon lady if you have one.

Our pediatrican said we have to protect our 8 month old from the Florida sun too. She said to wear long pants and long shirts (where can I find LIGHT WEIGHT long sleeves and pants for the summer?) and she told me not to put sun screen on her hands since she will just eat them... so how do I keep her little hands from getting burnt? (she is very pale just like me)
We live in FL. I've been using sunscreen on DD's arms, legs, neck and feet since she was 4 months old. I never put it on her hands. I use moisturizer with sunscreen on her face, but have heard lots of other people use the sunscreen sticks. The most effective method, I have found, is carrying her in a sling and using a small umbrella to keep the sun off of her. When I'm tired, DH will carry her or we'll put her in the stroller with the canopy to keep the sun off. You still need to use the sunscreen because some sun will bounce off pavement. We usually go to WDW once a month, and she has never been sunburned.

When we visited wdw last june i bought waterbabies scalp sunscreen from walmart for my dd who was almost 2. She would never leave hats on and her hair is very fine. It worked great--the only bad thing is it made her hair look really greasy. I just put it on her bald scalp parts and she never got burnt. For the rest of her i used hawiian tropic kids splash spf30 that was waterproof also. It seemed to work for my kids--i hoped i helped you in some way--have a great trip!!!
Pam

Someone above mentioned the Neutrogena solid stick sunscreen. I learned about that product on these boards, and it is one of the best tips I've picked up (and I've picked up a LOT of great tips here!) I've used a lot of the other solid sunscreens and the Neutrogena one is the best! I have a lot of trouble with sunscreens bothering my eyes and this one rarely stings.

... to protect children who are particularly at risk. OneStepAhead has this very nice one: http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.js...&iProductID=216755&change=117&KickerID=179130 (If you invest in something like this, make sure it is white and fits very loosely. Air needs to circulate inside, and too-long sleeves will help protect hands.)

You can also buy SolarVeil fabric to make sun protective clothes for kids. (You can use regular fabric, but the sun does penetrate it easily, so it is not as effective.) www.solarveil.com will sell the fabric direct. Stick to the pale colors; the dark colors are HOT to wear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter