Sunburn, not windburn : WDW and Universal in September

So I'm here in San Diego with E, today's my birthday, we have those tickets never used for our reunion...but today was slated to be sickeningly hot, so I opted to NOT hit Anaheim.

While I'm happy to not get heatstroke, I'm so sad we didn't hit DLR. But the weather site said it hit 104 today...couldn't have happened.

Sigh.

Happy Birthday!!!

Oh Molly, 104 is ugly anywhere but at Disneyland that would be unbearable. Are you going to be there a few more days? Maybe it will cool down before you leave.

Thank you!!!

Sadly, I leave Friday and can't change the plans because I have to get back for my good friend's wedding. And the temperature doesn't seem to be going down tomorrow.

But.....my brother SEEMS like he wants to go there, so we might get another visit soonish, maybe...

I would do more report but I'm not on my own computer, so it's going to have to wait.

I hope you had a Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed the good wishes on the precise day! :wizard:

I hope San Diego was rejuvenating and relaxing for you. I sometimes feel after a vacation that I just want a vacation....:confused3 Usually because I'm tired and a little run down, so sitting around and reading a book or something sounds really great.

Teensy preview....very sweet moment as a 4 year old notices her pretty little shadow.

IMG_4592.jpg

Went to my awesome friend's wedding to her awesome guy...sigh. The groom's sister told me I was beautiful*! That was neat. To say the very littlest least. :3dglasses

*I think this means I've finally lost *just* enough weight for my face to be more face-like. It happened many years ago when I'd gone up high in weight and once it came back down my face was finally able to be noticed. (but we had just met!) She seemed sincere and it was a faboo moment for me.

Which came not an hour after I'd told someone else how gorgeous she is! Maybe I had a glow from complimenting her. :)

That is such a sweet photo. I remember have that sort of magical moment as a little girl, and watching my girls have them.

How nice that the grooms sister made you feel special too.:flower3:

Started Eamon's second grade work, have been helping MIL...she might be starting a long slow slide into old-age-based mental problems... I have a feeling that Eamon and I are going to be spending a lot more time with her.

(thoughts prompted b/c she had *yet another* parking lot accident; this time no one could be proved to be at fault, and the other guy had no damage, so her kids are funding the fix rather than the insurance company...and we found out that she, a 75 year old not-so-controlled diabetic, hasn't gotten her eyes checked in eons, and has made up conversations that she and I have had about how long it takes for accidents to fall off of insurance... This is just the tip of the iceberg that is making us have these scary feelings about her...sigh.)

I know I gotta continue my report! Maybe I'll go get comfy and try.

Oh Molly that is awful. I have talked my mom into giving up her car and let me take her where she wants to go. She is 74 this year, it has been a battle and a half. My mom also a diabetic hasn't had her eyes checked for over a decade I guarantee it. The only reason she found out she had her cancer in 2006 is because I went behind her back and made her drs appointment and then lied to her to get her there. I feel your pain. What you deserve is a nice cold beer or glass of wine and a warm bath with candles.

Back to the 16th!

We'd finished tea, my girl cousins, my aunt, and I, and we wanted to do a spot of shopping at the Grand Floridian. We went on upstairs, and since my cousin and aunt are both VERY interested in music, we stopped to listen to the *band* up on the second flood. They were playing lovely bits of waltz-able music. I was taking some pictures, and the family moved on...they were seen by the bandleader, and he told them that he was going to play something for the Princess. :)

So we stopped and listened, and they played a lovely little medley of various princess songs. Little cousin LOVED it.

However, the chocolate milk was kicking in, LOL, and by the time we got into the giftshop and she started hearing "no" more often than she liked, there were troubles! Such a bummer, but kids will have tantrums...sadly, when you've got a mother and a daughter and a granddaughter, sometimes there are just one too many adults, and sometimes grandmothers get very distraught watching a small child flail in a mother's arms, especially if a small hand connects with a mother's face.

So that ended that bit of fun, but it's to be understood all the way around.

We chose to leave the Grand Floridian. I had used Valet parking, which I think I've mentioned, so I showed the bill with the Tables in Wonderland discount, and that made it free. The valets RUN to the cars! And at the GF they are wearing "knicker" sorts of short pants, with knee socks. Can you say broiling? I will say that it seemed to be a downhill run, but still...I could barely walk, let alone run.

When the valet got back, he was being superbly gentlemanly, and as he was helping people into the car, we remembered that we couldn't get one of the seat backs up properly (a second row seat that comes down to give entrance/exit to/from the 3rd row seats). He fiddled with it for about a minute and a half and fixed it, which was especially awesome of him, and he got a bigger tip because of it. Thank you, Valet-Man! You were as helpful as you were handsome. ;)

Drove on back, and I do believe that the menfolk had arrived back by that time. They weren't as happy with the day as we were, since they ended up going to Downtown Disney in their swim trunks, and there may or may not have been some chafing involved with that. Poor menfolk...

They'd been to the Lego store, they saw a lot of DTD because of misunderstandings of the boat launches, they had fun man time.

The tantrum problems continued with the adults...different discipline techniques and beliefs were discussed, rather enthusiastically (Robert and I stayed out of this!).

At one point the other adults were in other rooms, and during my little cousin's shadow-noticing time (shown a few posts up), she and I were talking about how her mom might feel, and she said she was sad that she'd hurt her mom and grandma's feelings... When they came back out, she said something sweet to her mom, and hugged her grandma, and it made her happy, though all it did was confuse the adults... Oh well. :) All you can do with cousins is talk with 'em...can't force them to do anything, or to change their ways!

Eventually the boys were pulled away from their Legos and the cats were herded off to Epcot.

Aha, it's E's bedtime, and I gotta jet! (man, this day of the 16th is taking AGES to post about!)

Oh Molly that is awful. I have talked my mom into giving up her car and let me take her where she wants to go. She is 74 this year, it has been a battle and a half. My mom also a diabetic hasn't had her eyes checked for over a decade I guarantee it. The only reason she found out she had her cancer in 2006 is because I went behind her back and made her drs appointment and then lied to her to get her there. I feel your pain. What you deserve is a nice cold beer or glass of wine and a warm bath with candles.

I'm so sorry that your mom and my MIL are about in the same situation. For them especially, but also for us! MIL sees a cardiologist...but she takes care of everything else with a GP. It's odd, in my opinion. She was so upset about the fender bender that she had to take two nitro pills in just over an hour. But she's told us that she doesn't ever want to go back to a hospital for ANY reason, and we are to leave her be. OK, but, then...why take the pills, ya know?

Beer/wine/bath sounds fabulous. Alas, I started reading Robert The Hunger Games last night, and we have to continue! I'm shocked at the fact that I like the book...turns out the suggestion was from my brother of all people. Since he's smart about most things, Robert got the books on Kindle, and told me, and I decided to check it out...and my brother was right. I think that part of the enjoyment is because it's somewhat similar to Stephen King's The Running Man (the book NOT the movie). Brother and I both read that story in high school. Anyway, the story is enjoyable (though not in a oh yay what FUN sort of way, of course).

My sister read the Hunger Games and liked it. I just can't bring myself to read it. :confused3 But, I also have no interest in the Twilight series, either. My friends and some of my family think I'm weird! I pretty much agree. ;)

I did just read one of the most recent David Baldacci books though, and really liked that one.

If the recommendation hadn't come from my brother I would NEVER have read it. But he has excellent taste in books. I was hooked from just a few pages in.

I enjoyed that series a lot. Suzanne Collins is a good author. It is a series that Scotty, Loren and I all enjoyed.

September 16th...

This had the potential to be our last evening together, because this was the last night of the 2 bedroom and we didn't know when family would be going home. They are churchgoers, which is partially why we made Friday night our last night with them. However, at some point between the excitement of the tea and the tantrum and dragging the boys away from their new Legos, it was expressed that there was a wish on the part of the family to stick around for another evening. The 3 of us were moving to a *studio* on the 17th, so even if we wanted to cram everyone into one room it was impossible.

Calls were made in regards to Value Resort rooms, and we realized that we had a free night (aka pay the taxes) through hotels.com, and we found a room at the Dolphin that could work. The decision was made that the Dolphin would be great, better than the Value, and so it was booked. Since our studio was at the Boardwalk, it would be nice and close.

That done, we went to Epcot, and since Robert had never been inside the temple in Mexico, I urged the group to go on in. I also urged us to go on the Three Caballeros ride. Small World in Mexico, as Robert ended up calling it. :)

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

I love these balloons.
IMG_4599.jpg

Robert liked the ride, as do I. Relaxing, cool and breezy, with neat fiber optic fireworks at the end.

I have NO idea what happened between there and Germany. How odd. But I remember some people needing a snack, so I went to the pretzel kiosk. Sadly, this was the last time I remember seeing my credit card. About a week later, after watching our account like a hawk and giving the resort and epcot lost and founds ample opportunity to find it, we canceled the card. Drat.

We had bought water at Costco, 2 cases of it, but it wasn't all cold. For some reason, all the cold waters ended up in the family's backpacks, and none in ours...and all of it ended up in the family's bellies, not ours. It was kind of strange. Hot evening with salty pretzels and no water...not so great!

Honestly, Mexico and pretzels and thirst are all I remember of the evening, until I was walking with E and cousin-E, hanging back from everyone else. The three of us just LOVE the fiber-optic stuff in the sidwalk near, I think, the Innoventions building.

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

From there, I'm sure we went back home, and I remember having a late-into-the-night conversation with Robert, cousin, and her hubby, and then it was good night.

That ride looks cute. I can see why Robert call it Mexican Small World.

September 17th.

Because of the long day and late night, we were lazybones on Saturday. I was under the impression that Robert was both watching the time AND knew what time checkout was. Whoopsie, NO, he didn't.

My sudden realization of the time caused a panic. Enough said.

Thankfully the housekeepers were flexible, but you are REALLY not supposed to be in your DVC room after 11, and we were. :headache: A bigger tip than normal was left.

The conversations about what was best to do next were akin to the highest level of calculus. Confusing. At some point my aunt decided that she wanted to just go home for the night, which meant that no one had to have too many people in their Dolphin room OR share a very small room with family they don't see all that often. But she was worried about things at home, and hadn't brought the right shoes (she has very persnickety feet), and she said she really WANTED to do that.

But they wanted to be part of us checking into the Boardwalk, so we did that. And that all on its own was FAR too confusing. So I'll skip it. Except that we got the chance to hang out in the lobby for a bit, where I started to fall madly in LOVE with the Boardwalk.

And this was absolutely not expected or anticipated in any way!

The front is beautiful. The lobby reminded me of something in my head, or maybe of some book I read years ago, I don't know, I just felt at home there. This chair didn't hurt (except perhaps to sit upon), as it really reminds me of the art and whimsy at the McMenamins B&Bs in Oregon and Washington.

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

Our room was actually available, so we headed down there and eventually met the Bell Services guy there with our bigger bags.

Side note: there is no short term parking area there for guests to drag their bags inside. And the parking lot is approximately 18 miles away. And the walk to the hotel is all uphill. AND the people who take the bags out of your vehicle if you bring it up are NOT the same people that delivery your bags to your room (you can't just have one person follow you on down), so just prepare your wallet for double the tips, and drive on up! Don't bother to even try to carry your bags, unless it's chilly OR you're from the South, and you have light, rolling bags and no children who might whine. End of side note.

As we trudged up the hill, I noticed the rooms to the left, which were sort of basement-looking. I thought "our room is so cheap I bet it's there!". And I was right. If we were rule-breakers, we would have hopped the hedge and walked down the grassy hill to enter our room from the patio. Since we're rule-followers, however, we took the long, long walk.

Our little patio, that I wanted to spend some time on.

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

OK, so we all crowded into the little studio. Almost as SOON as we'd shut the door after the last person, there was a huge sound! Fire alarm! Ack! Ack! Ack!

Everyone else headed right back to the door, like good humans. I, however, ran around grabbing wallet and camera...what a dingbat I am. As soon as I touched the door handle to leave, the family had found a maintenance CM who said it was just a test, and then the alarm stopped. WHEW.

After they checked out the room, the family went on over to the Dolphin to check in, and my aunt went back home (1.5 hours away). We were given the opportunity to wait for our luggage and to change into swimsuits.

The room!

I took a picture of this door (to the toilet/tub/shower area) because I was madly in love with it. However, the picture does not show me why. :) It was wider than a typical door, and I loved the knob/handle. I just LOVED this door. It's possible I was a bit tired by then?

IMG_4633.jpg

Here is the vanity area, and you can see the "studio kitchenette" area in the reflection.

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

I loved just everything about this place! I went to the Boardwalk because of a lack of points to just stay at the OKW 1 bedroom another night, and felt strongly that I would just be dealing with the place, but found myself wanting to sell all our Bay Lake points and buying scads of Boardwalk resale points, so that we could stay there for all of our well planned trips.

I loved the cabinet.

IMG_4635.jpg

This closet was actually quite large; large enough for me to, you guessed it, LOVE it enough to take the picture!

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

OK obviously I didn't take all of these pictures when we first got there.

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

As we headed out the next day (we'll just skip ahead for a moment b/c it's a picture of the room), I snapped this shot of the mirror and shelf next to the door, thought "oh I have to grab my Tea rose", then forgot about my rose. That was the last time I saw it! Sniffle sniffle.

IMG_4638.jpg

I have to tell you E looks adorable in his fedora.

He looks rather dapper!

The cabinets look a lot like what I have seen of the PPH in recent trip reports. Scotty and I were talking about our February trip and he was trying to talk me into changing our hotel to an onsite one. I am just not going to do it, I have two free nights at the Ayre's is one of the reason I chose there. Hmm maybe we will do one night at the resort.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter