Summer trip when you HATE the heat or no trip?

KSR0330

DIS Veteran
This year we took our first family WDW trip with our kids (14 and 19). We loved it and I want to go back next year! I was hoping to go back April 2016, but our kids will be in college and high school, so the only common vacation time from school is Christmas and summer. When we went this past Feb, it was COLD! I really want to go back when it's warmer (April would have been perfect, but that's off the table) so that leaves summer 2016. The problem is I hate the heat. I've been looking into it and I guess we can get to the parks early, go to the pool/water parks mid day and go back to the parks for the evenings. I'm just not terribly excited about going in 90+ degree humid heat. So I have to choose- go in the heat or don't go at all (since that's the only time we can go).

Can anyone who's been in early August tell me how bad the heat actually is. I've never been in the summer so it's hard for me to imagine what it will be like. Thanks for any insight!

I hate the heat too. :crazy2: But we go every August for two weeks and I love it! :thumbsup2 Stay out of direct sunlight and you'll be fine. :goodvibes

Last August, visiting Disney was kind of like vacationing on the sun. Incredibly humid. Typical hour or two of thunderstorms every afternoon. They didn't cool things off as much as I'd expected. Evenings were just as muggy, but without the sun beating down.

Taking breaks helped a lot. The heat was bearable and parks less crowded in the early mornings. We took afternoon breaks every day to get out of the heat and the rain.

There are always places to go to cool off, though. If I had the opportunity to go again in August, I wouldn't stay home on account of the heat. Plan the trip. :)

I haven't been in August. Our last trip was in early October, it was in the 90s and humid. It was much more bearable than I thought. So much so, that I am figuring as my kids move out of elementary school and it gets harder to miss extended school time, I think we will do the end of August.

Can you go late May or early June instead? There's still a chance it will be exceptionally hot that time of year, but there's also a chance it'll be quite tolerable (like it was for us June of 2012 when it only hit 90 one time in 8 days).

My kids are 14 and 18 so we have the same problem with vacation times being different. We went in August 2 years ago and the heat horrible was in the afternoons, even when we left to take breaks. Animal Kingdom was unbearable for me by 11 AM. But I would do it again if that was the only option. We are going again this year in early/mid June ( but will not be going to AK in the summer ever again). Our other June trip was really pleasant, although rainy. You have more of a chance of having some better days in June than August. Another option for you in the summer is to use the extra magic hours at night since the teens won't mind staying out late.

We always go in the summer due our kids school calendar. Sure it is hot, but your at Disney! We tend to venture into the parks later in the afternoon to avoid the hottest time of the day. We spend mornings outlet shopping or spending time at the resort.

i HATE the heat. We went late September this year. It was awful. It was an adult only trip, the heat & humidity definitely put a damper on my trip. One of the people we were traveling with was used to the heat. He wanted to do & see a lot more then i was interested in....because i was miserable. I was sweating profusely everywhere. yuck! So i'll be the realistic Debbie Downer. If you truly hate the heat. don't go. After this trip, I have decided that this Chicago girl- will only be visiting disney Late October- thru march/early april.
Now on the flip side, I also went to New Orleans a couple years ago, again at the end of september. It was also very hot & humid, however, my travel mates also felt that way. So we traveled & toured much slower. It was a very enjoyable trip because of the slower pace and like minded heat haters LOL

Thanks for all of the replies-

Can you go late May or early June instead? There's still a chance it will be exceptionally hot that time of year, but there's also a chance it'll be quite tolerable (like it was for us June of 2012 when it only hit 90 one time in 8 days).
No, I'd have to take the high schooler out of school and I won't do that.

Now on the flip side, I also went to New Orleans a couple years ago, again at the end of september. It was also very hot & humid, however, my travel mates also felt that way. So we traveled & toured much slower. It was a very enjoyable trip because of the slower pace and like minded heat haters LOL
My family knows I don't do well in the heat, so they would totally support me taking it easy during the trip. I actually think they would welcome it since they said I "ran" everywhere during our last trip (they're just slow walkers).

I'm having the same issue when planning for next year. It's a good chance we will end up going late July/early August even though I would really rather go another time. Schedules just aren't cooperating as well as I would like and my DH is not wanting to go in May again. Hoping I can convince him to do June instead. lol

Last August for us was unbearable but we plowed thru it. I slightly thought about not returning again in August but who am I kidding?
8-)

We also began traveling in August when our oldest daughters were in high school. It is, without a doubt, hot...but in my opinion manageable if you do it right. Hit the parks at rope drop. I know most teenagers hate getting up early, but ours learned pretty quickly that it really is the best option! We stay in the parks until an early lunch there at about 11:30am, then head back to our resort. We have four kids, some like to just stay in our room with the a/c and use their phones, etc., some like to join us down at the pool and relax there. Whatever works! Everyone cools off and relaxes in their own way. Then, we all shower and head back out for dinner and another park at night when it is much cooler.

Expect an afternoon rainstorm on most days. They don't typically last that long, but can interrupt pool time, so be prepared. We actually have some really fun pictures of us in our ponchos in the middle of a monsoon! The rain actually bothers me more than the heat.

I wouldn't skip going to Disney World because of the heat. Dress appropriately: cool, loose clothing...long hair up off your neck...good walking sandals that don't make your feet sweat...water bottles handy at all times...don't try to lug around a big overloaded backpack. And have a magical time. :)

Thanks for all of the replies-

No, I'd have to take the high schooler out of school and I won't do that.

My family knows I don't do well in the heat, so they would totally support me taking it easy during the trip. I actually think they would welcome it since they said I "ran" everywhere during our last trip (they're just slow walkers).
Bummer. School lets out May 21st here this year.

We were there last week in August 2014 for mine and DDs birthdays - it was hot, but not as bad as we were expecting. As a trade off, we got a great room rate (35% off at Contemporary), super low crowds (some days were a 3/10). We did have some serious thunderstorms but those usually happened during our afternoon "rest time" anyway. I HATE the heat, and was a little nervous about it, but I would definitely do it again.

Are you sure you can't go in April sans college kid? And U.S. college kid working in the summer? Can they even go then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter