• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer heat! Thoughts about Misty Mates and Frogg Toggs??

kreckl

DIS Veteran
We are going in August and the last time we did that I swore-never again!
This time I am hoping to be more prepared to deal with the heat. Our last plan was basically to lug as much cold water as we could carry and that strategy wasn't good enough.

Has anyone used a Misty Mate- feedback good or bad? Which one?? We have 2 adults and 2 teen boys.

Anything else you would recommend?

I like Frog Toggs cooling towels for my neck, but no one else in my family thinks they work much. Sometimes I feel like Fla summer is so humid that cooling towels and misters don't evaporate enough to work! If you're going to carry water, I think you need a good insulated bottle or else it turns warm too fast. The new Sip by Swell bottles at Target do a great job, and you could refill them with ice water from CS places, but not sure you'd want to lug them around all day. Long shows in the A/C are key!

We also bring frogg toggs cooling towels. When we don't use them, we put them in ziploc bags and store in our backpacks (but we usually have them around our necks). We've brought misters before, but I usually end up lugging them around and no one uses them much.

As a Canadian who usually travels to WDW in mid to late August, we've honestly found that picking up one of those $18 spray fan things from the resort stores on disney property has been a great way to go. The trick to keeping the water in them cold is a simple one. As you're walking around the parks, just grab a handful of ice from a vendor cart and toss it in the bottle. It has a large opening so it's easy to toss in. Spraying ice water/mist in your face and on your neck feels great and it's fun to surprise the fam jam with a blast of water now and again! We like to find a family with small children to give it away to near the end of our trip since they're over priced but handy!

It's been soul sucking hot this week and I've never seen so many adults with umbrellas trying to get themselves shade before.. you would think it was umbrella day at epcot.

nothing was going to help you escape it this week.

We tried misting fans one year but it was one more thing to lug around. We've found the only strategy that works for us since we go every August is RD in the morning, drink lots of water and gatorade, snacks, reapply sunscreen, wear hats, lots of air conditioned breaks and the mid day break!! I do not think we would survive the entirety of our trip without the mid day break for a few hours by the pool. Back to the resorts after dinner! FL heat is what it is and we haven't found anything besides what I mentioned above to be helpful to us, I'm sure others may say differently for them ;) :)

We go every August (headed down in 8 days). We bring cooling towels, misting fans, go at RD, take a mid day break (between 1-3 head back to the resort), and then head back to the parks between 5-7 (depending on when we left). We make sure to stay hydrated. If we feel like we're getting to warm we will head to an indoor attraction. We take things slower and don't push to get everything done.

As a Canadian who usually travels to WDW in mid to late August, we've honestly found that picking up one of those $18 spray fan things from the resort stores on disney property has been a great way to go. The trick to keeping the water in them cold is a simple one. As you're walking around the parks, just grab a handful of ice from a vendor cart and toss it in the bottle. It has a large opening so it's easy to toss in. Spraying ice water/mist in your face and on your neck feels great and it's fun to surprise the fam jam with a blast of water now and again! We like to find a family with small children to give it away to near the end of our trip since they're over priced but handy!
We do the same thing with the ice from the snack kiosks! I always feel like a weirdo, but it works so whatever - glad to know I'm not the only one doing that!

Is there any big difference between June and August heat? We are planning a big June trip for 2017 but DH wants to go towards the end of summer.
If there is a chance for lower crowds late August I might agree but it seems like out of control hot then. June really any different though? Do I have an argument?

Is there any big difference between June and August heat? We are planning a big June trip for 2017 but DH wants to go towards the end of summer.
If there is a chance for lower crowds late August I might agree but it seems like out of control hot then. June really any different though? Do I have an argument?

On average August is a smidge hotter than June. Also, are you planning on going the beginning of June or the end of August?

Misting fans do not help me with the heat, I prefer a washcloth in a ziplock baggie with ice. I freeze it over night and put it in the baggie with ice. This really cools off my face and makes me feel less yucky!

We were planning to go 6/10-6/24 but DH wants to go 8/16-8/26 now.

Looking at EasyWDW the crowd calendars show the weather is about the same (with August being a tiny bit hotter) but the second part of the August trip should be a bit slower in the parks. We are talking the difference between a park being a 7 busy and a 5 busy. And from what I can find, August will be a bit more humid too, to go along with the bit more hot.

We have succumbed to the spray fans, and then they are a pain to lug around. We will be there from Aug 5-19. The heat during the days is brutal. At night, a different scenario. If you can plan a late evening in MK and at AK, and FP the headliners, you might add more pleasure. We schedule early dinners and then use the Coller evening hours for everything without huge lines.

Just be careful that the misting fans are not spraying others in line. I absolutely hate it when I am in line and get sprayed by a strangers fan. Also the kids having spraying wars in line. Its so annoying as I do not want to be randomly sprayed by others.
Agree....also use spray sun screen BEFORE you get into the parks! I don't like cooling towels and they really don't work well in humid temps. Grab an ice cube and put it on wrists and neck.

Our trip is coming up! I've looked at the Frogg Togg website - can anybody recommend anything specific?

We are here right now. I ordered 3 of the Frogg Toggs chilly pad cooling towel from Amazon, about $12 each. For 3 of us who want to use it. DH does not. It is as long as a scarf, so I cut in half. That is still really long, so I cut in half again, which makes it about the size of a washcloth. Which is working for us. Others may want to wear the,, in which case you might want full size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter