Suggestions for stops along the way:ME to FL

Mainemama

DIS Veteran
We are driving from ME to FL and have a lot of flexibility, and no plans! Having never driven before, I am looking for suggestions for overnight stops. We have 4 and a half days to get from our starting point to our destination: a key near Sarasota, not Disney. We will have 3 nights at WDW at end of trip, with DH returning on Autotrain, and I get to fly with the kids!

A lot depends on what you've seen and what you'd like to see. I know a lot of people will assume you'll go down I-95 to Florida and cut over to the Gulf Coast. And that's fine. There's NYC, Washington DC, Williamsburg and Savannah all along the route, and all of them deserve at least a half day stop. However, you can cut over to I-75 sooner and hit the Great Smoky Mountains, Chattanooga and Atlanta. Again, all good places to tour.

We have never driven south of DC with the kids (and as adults, never south of NC). So, NYC and Dc are out as we have spent lots of time there. I will look into the other 4 stops mentioned. Thank you. My DS (7) has requested seeing an "old town". I think he means specifically southern, as we live in an old town in an old house ( pre civil war!) any suggestions for a scenic southern town? Barbecue or other food recommendations, also welcome!

Your best bet is probably going down the coast (forgetting Chattanooga and Atlanta). Although there are some Southern old towns along I-75, my favorite are along the coast and near I-95 (Charleston, SC; Beaufort, SC; Savannah, GA and St. Augustine, FL).
About ten years ago, we took a road trip through NW Florida from Lake City to Tampa. You'd probably have to start in Jacksonville, but it's only an hour east of Lake City. We took all back roads to the Gulf, then travelled down along the Gulf to St. Petersburg. You can continue om to Sarasota. We stayed overnight in Tarpon Springs which is just north of Tampa. Nice Greek settlement, and it has some of the best Greek food around. Definitely worth a special trip just for the food.
I guess I'd go as far as possible the first day (if you can make it below DC, that would be great), then take your time over the next 3 1/2 days.

Love Charleston - great food, great history, great walking city - definitely fits your son's request for an 'old city' - there are also horse-drawn carriage tours of the city. And 20 minutes from the beach if that's of interest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter