Stuff to do first night w/o tickets to parks?

Our tradition for the past several trips has been dropping our bags at our resort, getting cleaned up, and then heading to the Polynesian for a leisurely dinner at 'Ohana, followed by a stroll around the grounds, and finally watching the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach. Always starts off our trip on a great relaxing note, but with the requisite Disney aspect.

Our tradition for the past several trips has been dropping our bags at our resort, getting cleaned up, and then heading to the Polynesian for a leisurely dinner at 'Ohana, followed by a stroll around the grounds, and finally watching the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes from the beach. Always starts off our trip on a great relaxing note, but with the requisite Disney aspect.

I think I'm showing my rookie-ness here, but to watch the EWP and Wishes, what beach do you go to? Are you meaning the Poly? And do you have to be staying there to do this? We have an entire day with no parks for our first day (waiting on my mom to arrive because our airfare was saving us like $1500 to go a day early)...this would be AWESOME to do in the evening!

Arriving approx. 2 pm, checking in with CL at AKL. Early dinner ADR at Chef Mickey with grandson Max and then...Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise from CR.

We usually arrive around 1pm. We plan on hitting the pool at the resort for a couple of hours and then taking the boat into Epcot and having dinner at Le Cellier followed by Illuminations on our 1st night.

We like to arrive a day or two early and stay in one of the downtown Disney hotels. We then visit downtown Disney and perhaps some of the hotels like Art of Animation. This way we do waste park ticket days.

Last time we were staying at BWI so we got checked in, went out to the boardwalk and rode the friendship boat around the loop without getting out at any parks. Early night, unpacking and watching Disney toons for my 2.5 year old. It was pretty good. I kept trying to convince my husband in planning it was going to be so miserable to be so close to the parks and not go in. I didn't miss it!! It was nice to relax after flying for the first time with any children and our daughter loved the boat.

I think you will probably do fine just exploring AoA and POP. Particularly with children, there's a ton of fun stuff to look at around there.

If it is a Wednesday - Saturday night, you could head over to the lounge at POR and see YeeHaa Bob's show. Starts 8:30.

I'm looking for suggestions. We will be flying in and get to our resort (AoA) around 2-3 PM so I didn't see the purpose in getting tickets for that first night. But I would like to do something Disney related. I was thinking either Downtown Disney or Boardwalk. Any other ideas?

We will be staying at Riverside and will be in a similar scenario, I fancy a trip to Boardwalk for an ice cream and a few rides around a resort or two via bus, maybe a stroll through Downtown Disney? I have nothing particular in mind for the first evening, just exploring a few unseen areas. Hope this helps.

This year we arrived about 1 pm. We got our room organized, went for a swim and went to dinner at another resort. It was a nice relaxing start to the trip.

We plan on relaxing for an hour or so after we get to the hotel and then heading to DTD for dinner and some fun walking around and, likely, shopping ;D

2pm is like a whole day in a park for us! DTD, exploring the resort, trying something in the evening the resort is doing (they all do something) is a good start without needing a park ticket. might also be a good time to take advantage of something free that came in the booklet they mail you just before you arrive with some discounts (we always get a free minigolf and quest voucher)

We usually book a character meal, or a nice meal to get dressed up for, like California Grill. Downtown Disney is also another fun option, lots of restaurants to eat at, or Splitsville for dinner & bowling is super fun! The kids even enjoy night time swimming with an outdoor movie by the pool. We never get park tickets for our 1st day.

Tour Animal Kingdom Lodge. You get to see the animals. There are public viewing areas at Arusha Rock and down the hallways.
Fort Wilderness is fun to walk around and explore. They have a campfire and movie at night.
The Polynesian Resort on the beach - floating light show parade at night on the lake.

It's still a little early to book our flight, but I'm planning on getting the earliest nonstop available. Hopefully we'll be at the YC by noon. My plans are to hit up DTD for lunch and shopping, then back to the resort for pool time, a casual dinner and early to bed before our first full day.

If you have multi-day tickets it's only $10 per person to add another day to them. And with FP+ now you could have 3 favorites all lined up for the first afternoon/evening! For us, personally, we can't imagine not going to a park our first day. Granted, we travel very early in the morning and arrive at MK before lunch! Because we've been up since about 3:30 in the morning, we don't plan a long day, but a few hours in the park followed by a dinner close by and then back to the resort to crash for the evening! I'd say coming in later like that, I'd still plan a couple hours in the park followed by dinner and then settling into the resort.

3:45 at Animal Kingdom Lodge do the Boma/Jiko Culinary tour - very informative and free soup, bread, and a zebra dome!
it's over by 4:15, I would let my kids play at the Hakuna Matata playground there for a bit, walk out on the savannah and see the animals
grab a bus to MK and then walk to the contemporary - try for a Chef Mickey's ressie or just eat at the Contempo Cafe (quick service) they have yummy options
Hop the monorail to the Grand Floridian, walk around, check out the gift shops (pin trading!), the music in the lobby, the grounds
Get back on the monorail or take a boat to the Poly. You should be arriving just in time for the nightly movie on the beach. Grab a chair or bring a blanket and get settled. they will pause the movie for the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes, both of which you can see from the beach. When it's over, take a boat or monorail back to Magic Kingdom and get on the bus back to your resort. It's a great way to check out the deluxe resorts and have some Disney fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter