Student Travel Ideas?

dlyn88

Mouseketeer
Hello there! I am going to be studying abroad in London next semester and want to see as much of the UK and Europe as possible while I am there. What would be some cheap/easy/safe options for travel? I've looked around a lot on the Eurostar website but the fares there are still a bit expensive. I'm hoping I have just missed out on some absolutely amazing deals that are there. Any ideas??

It is quite possible to do a day visit to Paris (and see all the sights) by getting the first Eurostar in the morning and an evening one back. We did this in August and it was fantastic.

What you need to do is plan as far ahead as you can for the trip as the price is tons cheapers the earlier you book it. I think fares come out 3 months in advance.

It is easy to catch the train at Kings Cross and go North of London. I would recommend seeing York then travelling up to Edinburgh, both are on this railway main line. Again if you book in advance that is when the cheaper fares are available.

Edinburgh is certainly worth a visit! It's easy to get to by rail from London but it would be a very long trip... Certainly worth it though- It's my favourite city in the world! Train Fares are generally released three months in advance in the UK, and I'd strongly advise getting in there early to get the cheapest fare (Maybe even purchase a young persons rail card if you're under 25? They slash the price!).. I use trains a lot through the UK, so if I can help, just let me know!

Bob xoxoxox

one of the cheapest way to travel for students is by coach with fares from as little as £1 and can be pre-booked online - google search 'megabus' and 'National Express'. There are lots of great places to vsit here in the uk, if you need to stay overnight then Travelodge hotels are basic but usually OK, I have heard of one or two exceptions, but my youngest son and I stayed at Sheffield Central for £19 a night the weekend before last - most rooms are family with a double bed and single soaf bed so could travel wth a friend and share it is excellent value.

Thank you all so much. I'll definitely make sure to make a trip to Edinburgh. The train system is all a bit confusing to me. Where I live now, we don't even have a public transportation system so I've never experienced it at all before - let alone in a new country! Thanks again.

Well if you get stuck when trying to work out the transport system, you know where we are. There is usually someone who can answer a question.:thumbsup2

I would definitely recommend megabus and megatrain as they're both cheap and fairly comfortable! We've also just started getting Greyhound buses - at the moment I think they're doing journeys between London and the south coast.

A young person railcard is about £25 but gives you 1/3 off train travel - you can get them from most train stations. It usually pays for itself after one or two long trips with the amount of money you save! :thumbsup2

I have a feeling that there are special rail passes available to overseas visitors before they leave home (Britrail?) but I don't know if they represent good value for money. Have you asked this question on the US Community board as they may have some different hints?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!