Stroller conundrum

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by zomama, Jan 20, 2013.

1. zomama

zomama Mouseketeer

DD5 has low muscle tone so she tires easily. She definitely needs a stroller. DS will be turning 3 during trip so obviously he''ll need one too. we have a double but is a BOB. I refuse to bring it! We have a baby jogger city mini gt and a maclaren quest so I guess we''ll have to take both. pushing her in the mac will be a PITA because she weighs almost 50lb, but ds May need to nap so I'll want him in the comfort stroller. To make matters worse, we are bringing my mom who has a bad ankle due to a nasty break (and surgery) last summer. She might very well end up needing a wheelchair at some point, no clue how DH and I will push all 3!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tigger51276

tigger51276 DIS Veteran

Honestly in this situation I'd just rent a double stroller though Orlando Stroller Rentals. They use the double city's and as you already know they are a great brand. They are pretty inexpensive to rent especially considering what Disney charges to rent their strollers in the park.
    I've not rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals, but I've heard great things about them.
    https://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/RentaStroller?stroller=3

4. GoldieLocks5

GoldieLocks5 Mouseketeer

we rented a city mini double + ride on board last trip from orlando strollers and it was great. My boys were 2.5yo twins + a 5yo (who was the size of a 6yo clothing wise- he's big)... and my 5yo rode in the mini often, and even passed out on it every day in the parks.

5. ghtx

ghtx DIS Veteran

If mom needs a wheelchair, rent her an ECV. It will be too hard to worry about pushing two kids and a mom at the same time. Plus, she'll probably prefer the freedom of an ECV.

6. arcticdisneylovers

arcticdisneylovers DIS Veteran

I would definately rent a double from Orlando strollers we've used them a couple times and they were excellent! I would also get your MOM an EVC from the beginning, why suffer pushing her. Also it will give her more independance:thumbsup2

7. zomama

zomama Mouseketeer

Where can we rent an EVC?
    I'm so on the fence about renting a stroller. I have spent so much $$$$$ on strollers in the last 5 years, it would kill me to drop $90 on one I didnt get to keep!! Especially since I just sold my BJCM a year ago. Doh!

8. ghtx

ghtx DIS Veteran

You can rent an ECV from Disney at the front of every theme park, in the same place where you rent a stroller. There are also plenty of off-site ECV rentals to be had.

9. starsweeper

starsweeper DIS Veteran

I agree about the ECV. My mom is going with us in October but she is recovering from breast cancer and is very weak now. She can only walk slowly for about 10min on a treadmill, and we have no idea how she will feel in several months. I plan to get her an ECV so she has no reason to refuse renting one herself (lots of pride issues, silly but there it is). I would take or rent a double to two larger kids like yours. We usually do singles, but that was for kids 3 and under.

10. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Plus the ECV's are pretty fun to drive. :P

11. tigger51276

tigger51276 DIS Veteran

If an ECV is something that would be used everyday, I'd probably look at off site companies that rent them out. They will deliver them and p/u at your resort. You can save a lot of money this way. I believe at the parks it's now $50 a day to rent (plus a $20 deposit) and the parks have limited numbers of them and once they are rented out, that is it. You are also not able to make reservations for them. By renting from an outside company you can find prices anywhere from $20-40 per day depending on the type and style you choose. If you do a quick google search under "Renting ECV at Disney World" you'll see a bunch of companies.

12. nonstopdisneymom

nonstopdisneymom Mouseketeer

I agree about finding an ECV off site. We got to the parks just after 10 one day and found out the hard way that they do sell out!! We were put on a waiting list for a ECV and ended up having to push my aunt around in a wheelchair till appr 2. You don't realize how many hills there are until you've pushed someone around DIsneyland!!

13. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

No need to google it :thumbsup2
    Follow the link n my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Post 2 of that thread has information about renting wheelchairs and ECVs - both from the parks and from offsite companies. There is a list, with contact information, for the companies DIS posters most often recommend.
    Some of them also rent strollers, so it might be possible to get everything you need from one company.

14. 123LuckyMom

123LuckyMom Mouseketeer

I'm curious as to why you don't want to bring your BOB? I'm planning to bring mine, so if there's a compelling reason not to, I'd love to know!!! We're planning on renting an ECV for my mom, so we could add a stroller rental, but that seems silly when we already own one. What am I missing?

15. tartemis

tartemis DIS Veteran

Why do you refuse to bring the BOB? Are you worried about it being stolen? I brought our City Elite Double for several years with no problems. We didn't lock it or anything either.

Personally, I'd prefer to have my own stroller than to deal with rentals and/or something that is not as good. Also, I read that many of the doubles that are rentals are Citi Mini Doubles, which in my view are too small unless you have smaller than average kids -- although it sounds like you are using a mini-single now, so you may be fine. If you can find a City Classic Double to rent that may be okay, but I think they are harder to find.

16. pookie10

pookie10 Looking for my Prince....again :(

why is the maclaren with your 5 yr old a PITA?

i am using my maclaren with my daughter, she will be almost 6, but regularly uses the stroller, she is comfortable in it and makes things easier for me, she hates walking and gets very whiney! She is only about 34 lbs though...maybe there is the difference

17. zomama

zomama Mouseketeer

because its huge! I can't imagine lugging it on the bus! I also own a city mini gt and my tall dd fits very well in it.

18. zomama

zomama Mouseketeer

yep that's the difference - my DD is 47lb and 48 inches.

19. usmcwife1

usmcwife1 Mouseketeer

We traveled in 2011 and my youngest DS's were 3 and 5, there is no way they could go without the stroller all day and we took it fairly easy. Heck, our older 2 were begging to ride at the end of the day lol. We brought our City Classic (or elite I can't remember lol) double but it is huge, like your BOB so I wouldn't take it if you are using WDW transportation. This trip I plan on bringing the stroller again, my 5 YO is barely 5 and the 7 YO will only have been 7 for a few days, they still aren't ready for all that walking, plus it's nice to have a place to store water and snacks :)

20. tinker&belle

tinker&belle DIS Veteran

We rented a BOB double and used it on the buses. It was a giant pain but we loved having it once we got to the parks.

21. tartemis

tartemis DIS Veteran

We had no problem bringing the Elite Double on buses. Yes, it is huge, but it was super easy -- although, the Elite Double folds virtually flat with one tug on the center strip, so that made it easy. We had so many people compliment us on our stroller and ask about what it was because it was so easy and (relatively) compact.

I'm not sure of the BOB's folding mechanism, so if it is a pain, that would be different.