Stroller advice?? First time mom taking 12 month old to Disney

cherbear

DIS Veteran
I have decided I want to bring my own stroller to Disney rather than renting one. That said, I do need to purchase a new lightweight stroller, and am very overwhelmed! I would like an inexpensive option, but I do want to use it for a while and hope to use it for a 2nd child later on, as well.

I have heard that the 2 best strollers for Disney are the City Mini, and the Britax B-agile. (Actually, while I was still pregnant I kept looking for a deal on the Britax but could never justify the price....especially when Babies R Us is constantly putting out 15% off or 20% off "all strollers" but the fine print always excludes Britax, which drives me completely insane!)

The stroller we are using right now is one my MIL bought for us, it's got 4 huge wheels, bulky, not easily foldable (MUST use 2 hands, takes me a minute to get it right) and does not fold small. So it is absolutely NOT an option for Disney. I have been wanting a new one anyway, so now's the time. We leave for Disney on June 29.

I happened to be at Target over the weekend and saw a few in my price range, but as they were up on a high platform I really could not check them out. The Baby Trend Expedition jogger was a good price but I have never heard anything about it.

I know that you seasoned moms here will be able to offer some sound advice, hence my post here.

Anyone ever buy used strollers? I would be open to that, but I don't frequent auction sites so I'm a nervous nelly about buying used and getting swindled.

We have an Expedition and I LOVE it, however, it doesn't fit in my car, so it's just our neighborhood walk stroller. We also have the The First Years Ignite (they sell it at Target) and I absolutely love it. It's a slightly fancier umbrella stroller.

Can you check kijiji or craigslist for a gently used Citimini? It is so easy to use, has a huge canopy and good recline. it also steers like a dream.

As a mom of 4, I highly recommend Maclaren! I am currently using the Maclaren Volo but my kids are older. I have loved every Maclaren I have owned.

I have a City Mini and its the only stroller I would use. It collapses in about 1 second. Just pull the strap on the seat and its ready to go into a bus.

We have an Expedition and I LOVE it, however, it doesn't fit in my car, so it's just our neighborhood walk stroller. We also have the The First Years Ignite (they sell it at Target) and I absolutely love it. It's a slightly fancier umbrella stroller.

Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?

Can you check kijiji or craigslist for a gently used Citimini? It is so easy to use, has a huge canopy and good recline. it also steers like a dream.

Kijiji? That must be new. I tried posting on my community yard sale group on FB asking if anyone was selling a lightweight stroller such as the Citi Mini but no luck there. I haven't checked Craigslist but I think I will. Just apprehensive as I want it to last a while, kwim?

I have bought used strollers and had good luck. I have a Maclaren Quest and love it.

Thanks! I used to hear great things about Maclaren (several years back) but it seems they are not as popular these days for some reason. I believe Baby Depot (Burlington's baby dept) sells Maclaren strollers so I may check for that one on Friday when we plan on heading toward the city(N.O.) for the day. I have a couple of 15% off (only good for one item) coupons for The Baby Depot so it would make for a good deal. We also need a new carseat so I'm on that hunt as well. My DD is 9 months now and we are still using the same carseat(!) so we definitely need a new one that she can use for the next couple of years.

Hi, not sure when your trip is but check your area for consignment sales. I bought a jogging stroller for $65 which new would have cost $200+.
Also go to a store and tryout the stroller and then look at Craigslist.

We took our son last year at 12 months, and didn't feel like taking the bulky stroller. So we bought the Jeep Cherokee Sport one from Walmart for $50. I'd say it's about the next step up from being an umbrella type. I didn't expect much out of it, but was pleasantly surprised. It's super light, folds up pretty compact, but still has the storage spaces, tray, and cup holders. Plus, the bright color made it super easy to spot in crowded stroller parking. My son loves it, and I have no complaints. Best $50 I ever spent (and it's still going strong).

Sadly, I have no experience with the strollers you're looking at, but just wanted to say that I have bought a used stroller before with great success! I just frequent local online "yard sale" type sites (like bookoo, or area ones on Facebook), that way I have a chance to look at and try them out before paying.

Hi, not sure when your trip is but check your area for consignment sales. I bought a jogging stroller for $65 which new would have cost $200+.
Also go to a store and tryout the stroller and then look at Craigslist.

I have seen one consignment shop around here but no baby things, according to what their website shows. There might be another place to look; I just wish I knew where to go.

Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?.
This will be our first time, but we've used it around town (mall, shopping, etc.) and I love it. So much better than a clunky huge stroller. My only complaint is that the storage is hard to get to, but I don't carry a diaper bag anymore, so for me, it's a non issue. (A diaper bag could easily be hung on the handles).

Are you just needing it for the Disney trip or you really do want another stroller?
Have you thought of Kindom strollers for your trip. You can get the city mini delivered right to your hotel and you have it for the whole trip. This is a great company and it's way cheaper than the disney strollers plus you have it for the hotel as well.

Are you just needing it for the Disney trip or you really do want another stroller?
Have you thought of Kindom strollers for your trip. You can get the city mini delivered right to your hotel and you have it for the whole trip. This is a great company and it's way cheaper than the disney strollers plus you have it for the hotel as well.

We really need another stroller. The one we have is just....not user friendly at ALL. The only reason we have used it this long is because it was free! My MIL got it on clearance. I can't even tell you what model it is. I really would like to start going on walks and jogging but it is impossible to do that with the stroller we have now.

I definitely appreciate the suggestion though! We do really need a new stroller and I expect to get a ton of use out of whatever we buy. That's why I'm being careful about my decision. I really want to love it!

Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?

Kijiji? That must be new. I tried posting on my community yard sale group on FB asking if anyone was selling a lightweight stroller such as the Citi Mini but no luck there. I haven't checked Craigslist but I think I will. Just apprehensive as I want it to last a while, kwim?

Thanks! I used to hear great things about Maclaren (several years back) but it seems they are not as popular these days for some reason. I believe Baby Depot (Burlington's baby dept) sells Maclaren strollers so I may check for that one on Friday when we plan on heading toward the city(N.O.) for the day. I have a couple of 15% off (only good for one item) coupons for The Baby Depot so it would make for a good deal. We also need a new carseat so I'm on that hunt as well. My DD is 9 months now and we are still using the same carseat(!) so we definitely need a new one that she can use for the next couple of years.

The reason Maclaren strollers have become less popular is they have a hinge issue that was severing the fingers.

Another vote for the Ignite. It's a great stroller for the price. We just gave ours away to a family entering AK as we were leaving AK to head to the airport.

My kids will be too old for a stroller by the time we return to WDW, but I was still a little sad to part with it. :confused3 Weird, I know.

The reason Maclaren strollers have become less popular is they have a hinge issue that was severing the fingers.

I think they have lost market share to the Citi mini. We had a Quest for 5 years with DS#1 and thought it was great, then I got a Citi mini for Ds#2 and it is way better, easier fold, never tips, bigger sunshade etc.

All the off site rental companies seems to rent the Citi mini and doubles.

We love our Graco Ipo. Its an umbrella stroller but has nice big wheels and holds up to 55 lbs. I can have my 7 yr old dd ride in it and it works great. Has a nice recline and folds nice and small. Nice for the buses. Of course it doesn't have a big basket but we can hang our back pack from the handles and that holds all our stuff. Non valuables so it stays with the stroller. We have had it for quite a few yrs.

First, congrats on your little one :thumbsup2

I saw that you are going in July. We went last September when DD was 4 months old and again in February when she was 9 months old. The September trip was hot and our stroller fan and extended shade were both well used, I suggest both of them!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12353563

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2302843

There are links to both accessories in case you are interested. I can't tell you how many mommies stopped me to tell me what a great idea they both were and that they were going out to buy them for their own little ones :goodvibes

As far as strollers we use and like the Chicco Cortina stroller that I received at my shower (it goes with the keyfit30 seat to make a travel system). It isn't a lightweight stroller but it isn't so bulky that it is difficult to deal with either. We also have a Jeep all terrain stroller, very nice ride but it doesn't fold up as nicely and I think DD is still a little small to really be that comfortable in it.

I also saw you are looking for a new convertible car seat, if you have questions about what seat is best for your LO don't hesitate to ask, I am passionate about car seat safety and have made it a bit of a hobby :rolleyes1 There is also an amazing group on facebook that can help you find the best seat to last your LO the longest and will fit well in your vehicle, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

:scared: yikes!

Another vote for the Ignite. It's a great stroller for the price. We just gave ours away to a family entering AK as we were leaving AK to head to the airport.

My kids will be too old for a stroller by the time we return to WDW, but I was still a little sad to part with it. :confused3 Weird, I know.

aww that was so nice!!

Loving all the responses...I'll come back to respond to the rest later on! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter