Strategy-Best Place to propose at...Wishes fireworks?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Prince Charming 68, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SMorgan711

SMorgan711 It all starts with a wish!

My fiance proposed after the Wishes fireworks right before the "Kiss Goodnight" on Feb 10, 2011. The Kiss Goodnight is like the official ending to the day and usually occurs about 30-45 after park closing. It was perfect because we were right in front of the castle and we were completely alone except for about 5 people and these 5 people were just in the area, not close to us at all.

It was our first night there and a friend of my mom's had told us about this Kiss Goodnight because we had never heard of it before. The park closed at 8 that night so we decided to stay. We were waiting in front of the castle for it to start when the park emptied out. We were really the only ones there, sitting on a park bench in front of the castle. Every now and then workers would walk past and there were a handful of people at the bottom corner of the castle but that was it. Finally, I got sick of waiting so I suggested leaving. That's when DF got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I said YES and we went to get a pic taken when the Kiss Goodnight started. It was peeeeeeerfect timing! And it was great because I always wanted to be proposed to in front of the castle but I never wanted 50 billion people staring at me!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Cross the Top of the World lounge off your list. No amount of "greasing" the CM will get you in. You have to be a DVC member staying on points to get in. I saw a couple who are DVC members but were staying at POR on a cash reservation not allowed access because of the rules. You won't get in.

I got proposed to at CRT breakfast and it was WONDERFUL! A couple of things that work in its favor:

*If you go through the Disney Weddings engagement dept., they'll set up the whole thing -- glass slipper, "surprise" dessert, a Photopass photographer (we have more than 100 pictures from the proposal).
    *June is HOT at Disney, proposing in the morning means you both won't be sweaty, dripping messes when it happens.
    *You have the whole day to celebrate. We spent most of the rest of the day taking pictures all throughout the MK in between phone calls to friends and family.
    *I've always loved the castle, but after getting engaged inside? I'm an even bigger teary mess when I look at it. :goodvibes

Good luck! Whatever you come up with will be magical!

4. Block Island

Block Island Earning My Ears

Where are you staying? Maybe they can help with some ideas or to pull some strings. I would do it at the beginning of the trip so you are not thinking about it the whole time and possibly not enjoying your time worrying about losing the ring! Plus then you can enjoy the trip as an "engaged" couple. I can't imagine anyone would think this is cheesy or hokey -- definitely not on this site. Best of luck!

5. Prince Charming 68

Prince Charming 68 Earning My Ears

Thanks CJ, Constructive feedback is what I am looking for. I definitely am not looking to propose to my girlfriend just to get a reaction from the crowd. The whole purpose of the thread was to inquire about suggestions for a nice romantic spot, that is relatively secluded during Wishes. The crystal palace early in the morning is a good suggestion that I have not considered. Thanks! :)

6. JDUCKY

JDUCKY Local Yocal

Or the beach at Poly. Beach...nighttime...fireworks. Romantic? hello! :)

7. Prince Charming 68

Prince Charming 68 Earning My Ears

Thanks MissyRose! It is great to hear it from the perspective of someone who was proposed to at the CRT. I have been in contact with the Disney planner already with questions about the CRT, but I was planning on a Dinner and then maybe watch Wishes from inside the castle. I didn't think about the whole hot, sweaty mess after a day of riding rides all day in June. I know my DGF may feel a little less photogenic at the end of the Day. I may have to reconsider my original plan and do a morning engagement. Thanks for the firsthand insight :)

8. lizzi6692

lizzi6692 DIS Veteran

My husband proposed to me during dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table. We got the best table in the place by a window overlooking Fantasyland. The ring was brought to the table in an engraved glass slipper on a platter surrounded by rose petals(after you check in they'll pull you off to the side to get the ring from you). We had our own personal photopass photographer who took pictures of the whole thing. It was the happiest moment of my life and I wouldn't have changed it for anything. And I honestly wouldn't worry about the "not feeling photogenic" thing. In my opinion, proposing at dinner is more romantic and once you propose the last thing she'll be thinking about is how she looks.

9. CuteAsMinnie

CuteAsMinnie DIS Veteran

Cheeses??? Seriously?? Heck no!!! :)

My two cents....
    Have the ring (securely) in your pocket and propose anywhere in view of the Castle when you feel it is right. A little planned, Spontaneous, magical all at the same time. ;)

Good luck!

10. Cheshire Figment

Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

I was talking to a Nephew of mine whose Daughter was proposed to at MK last month. He suggested that you get hold of the Fairy Tale Weddings department and look at their Engagements section. The people there can work with you, find a space, arrange for the photographer, etc. They can make all the arrangements you need, and possibly even get you a private viewing area.

11. ArmyVet80

ArmyVet80 Mouseketeer

I did not propose to my wife at the MK but we did have our honeymoon at WDW. There is a place going into Tomorrowland that is a Kodak photo spot. Tinkerbell flies right over it so you can find it with the line from the castle to wherever Tinkerbell lands. Not sure if this link will work:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....548554420592.2080363.21101412&type=3&theater

It is the spot I'm talking about. You aren't directly in front of the castle but you can see the fireworks very well. We were there in June 2009 and it wasn't as busy in this spot either.

12. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

If you're hoping to propose in the evening but worried about not looking so photogenic, you could always propose in the evening as you'd like, but arrange to take more photo's in the morning. I've read several posts on here from both brides and just regular families that hired a photographer to come take professional photos of them in the parks for an hour or two. You could propose in the evening and have the photopass photographer catch it all on film, and then in the morning go to rope drop at MK and get some really nice proper engagement photos in front of the castle etc while the park is really quiet.

13. CarolineB

CarolineB DIS Veteran

Congratulations to you both.

I wouldn't spend the money on the fireworks cruise if it's over $300 -- too much money.

The dessert party seems too crowded too and not the right moment.

I would propose in front of the castle in the morning -- it's totally natural that you would want to stop to have your picture taken and then Surprise!

I like the idea of having a breakfast ADR at MK so you can get into MK before crowds. The photopass photographer can capture everything without the park being super packed and crazy. After you propose and enjoy your breakfast, you could have pictures with Mickey, ride a few rides, and take a walk over to Poly (or go over in the evening.)

14. CarolineB

CarolineB DIS Veteran

That's a nice spot and you're near the rose garden. It's a lot quieter than standing on Main Street.

15. mnasf

mnasf DIS Veteran

We saw a great proposal during the fireworks at Cinderella's Royal Table. They were eating and the girl had no idea. Liked over and man was on his knees with Photopass and employees all around. Later brought them a picture frame with picture, special dessert, etc. looked like Disney had it down. They were seated by the window.

16. Missyrose

Missyrose DIS Veteran

Just as an FYI, I don't think you can see much of the fireworks from inside the castle.