Straight Talk iPhone APN settings help....

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by DisneyMomma81, Oct 3, 2012.

1. DisneyMomma81

DisneyMomma81 DIS Veteran

please! I can make and receive calls. This is an old version iPhone *if that makes a difference* how on earth do I update my data settings?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

If you google that question, the same question will come up on one of the Straight Talk forums, and it gave detailed instructions. I looked at it a couple of days ago when my parents were considering using the phone I was replacing. They wound up ordering a ST phone though so I never had to actually do it.

4. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

5. DisneyMomma81

Thanks, it's all confusing. The brochure sure doesn't help much ~

A. Create a new APN. Enter only the setting listed below....

That doesn't work at all.

6. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

If you're talking about materials provided by Straight Talk, I would pretty much skip those and head straight to YouTube (I'm not slamming ST, but a lot of the manuals, etc., which are produced by parent company Tracfone, tend to be rather vague, at times).

Also, an important question is "is the Straight Talk SIM an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM?" (I am guessing AT&T, if you are using the iPhone -- if that's the case, you should find some good video tutorials on it from YouTube).

7. DisneyMomma81

AT&T sim in an AT&T iPhone, will I have to download something?

8. DisneyMomma81

Looks like I need to head to McD's and go to that site this guy mentions. For MMS - my phone is out of contract, will it still need to be jailbroken to get me MMS access?

9. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

No -- all you need to do is follow the settings from this page - http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone (since you already have an AT&T provisioned ST SIM and iPhone, there is no unlocking/jailbreaking necessary).

10. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

No, as I explained in my PP, no jailbreaking will be necessary for your phone.

11. DisneyMomma81

Thanks, the youtube guy says for MMS it will need to be jailbroken, I'll head to McD's in a bit and go to www.unlockit.co.nz
    and see how it goes.

12. DisneyMomma81

Ok ~ success *partial* I have internet, still do not have MMS.... I believe I have a 1st gen iPhone *I'll see if my mom will swap phones with me - she does very little with her iphone* Cydia TetherMe does not work with 1st gen iPhones....

13. JB2K

JB2K DIS Veteran

You may want to look at "upgrading" that iPhone with (at least) a 3GS, as Apple and the carriers don't support them, any longer...

14. DisneyMomma81

Yep ~ eventually I will. I can't even get the facebook app!

ETA ~ however - as a coworker just suggested *when I mentioned the fb app* "Why don't you just access it via www.facebook.com" :rotfl2:

15. trenty

trenty Earning My Ears

I use the iphone 4 with net10(same as straighttalk) and do not get MMS. I do have a few options to get it working I just haven't gotten around to taking care of this yet. My phone is locked. I will probably unlock it and then use a tmobile sim swap trick that I read about on howard forum.

16. sevans89

sevans89 Mouseketeer

I have an iPhone 4s on Straight Talk. I used the sim swap trick (I used the sim card in my Verizon iPad). I did have to do it a couple of times before it stuck though.

17. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

I have data and MMS and Straight Talk on a LOCKED iphone 4.

There WAS a WONDERFUl YouTube video that explained it all in great detail, but it was deleted and I don't know why. I have emailed the guy who did the video but he never responded.

This is what I did this last time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8oAFOfMw4

ANd then entering: APN – att.mvno

18. trenty

trenty Earning My Ears

I will have to try this. thanks

19. DisneyMomma81

I'm getting Profile Failed to Install
    The UUID for the profile "APN Carrier Settings" is not unique.....

Is this cause I already have an APN Carrier Settings from www.unlockit.co.nz ??