Stinky people at work

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by low-key, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

Back when I was in college I worked retail. There was a hippie-type girl who refused to use any unnatural products, including deodorant. :faint: Various employees complained to the manager. She finally said something after the people at the bank....... the people who received the store deposit from behind a bullet proof glass window........ complained about her smell.

:lmao:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

This week I was the stinky one, one day. It was physical work in a HOT room. I could tell I wasn't smelling delightful by the end of the day. Yuck and bad when it's yourself!

4. snarlingcoyote

snarlingcoyote <font color=blue>I know people who live in really

I had the unfortunate problem a few years ago of getting big, huge rashes that scabbed over and sometimes pussed up on my pits whenever I wore deodorant.

Went to the doctor and she suggested some substitutes, most of which were fine for about 2.5 hours but didn't last all day for me, so I was constantly reapplying, which gets a bit gross after awhile too.

Eventually I discovered I could wear Dove and then they came out with Dove Clinical strength. I would wear Dove mostly and started using the clinical when I was going to get hot and stinky.

Now the allergy seems to have died down - I can wear deodorant without rashes, but I still stick to my Dove products when I can.

My apologies to anyone I offended when I was stinky, but I had seeping rashes on my pits!

5. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

Bet that was a ripping good time...not.

6. honeydiane1953

honeydiane1953 DIS Veteran

MANY yrs ago went to school with a girl who came from a crazy home. She smelled so bad we kids couldn't take it. I felt sorry for her as her parents were clearly at fault. She was sweet as still think about her. Our teacher would brush her hair in a nice way. Her parents were crazy I guess.

7. bellebud

bellebud DIS Veteran

kids who smell, it's not their fault.

Adults who smell because of working in a hot room one day, etc, no biggie. Life happens. Even someone like a pp who said they couldn't use deodorant because of sores in their pits, that's totally understandable and I feel bad for them.

But I can't stand people who are just dirty. Not bathing for weeks, gross hair, dirty clothes (like pig-pen dirty). A homeless person... ok, I get it. I'm talking about regular people who have jobs, houses, showers, can afford a bar of soap, etc. When their odor invades my personal space, it becomes my problem and issue too. I've never had to work w/ someone like that, so I don't really know what I'd do in that situation. But I've been in social situations w/ people like this, and I just keep my distance.

8. My2Pixies

My2Pixies Disney Dreamin'

I worked at a coffee shop several years ago with a girl who refused to use deoderant. She wore a crazy amount of patchouli eo and the combination of that and bo was nauseating to the point that customers would talk about it (and not come back). It absolutely amazes me that she either never heard them say it or just ignored it altogether. She was still working there when I got another job, I have always wondered if someone ever said something to her about it.

To this day, I can't stand patchouli because it reminds me of her smell. Makes my stomach turn.

9. Handbag Lady

Handbag Lady Disneyland Bride 2000

Years ago I worked with a lady who had a kidney issue and this in turn just caused the most foulest death smell ever. It was like rotten flesh; no, old people rotten flesh covered in farts dipped in decaying fecal matter smeared with underarm sweat.

But the lady was so nice and knew she had this smell. She had to keep working for the insurance. Luckily, the work situation was such that we all had booths to work in; two to a booth. We just gave her her own booth and arranged schedules so that no one used her booth for hours later. There was no air circulation so even Lysoling her chair would just get you Lysol smell and stench combined.

She eventually got better after a Rx change or something. It was great that the work place knew about it, didn't hold it against her, came to a solution, AND didn't force any of us to share with her. We would ask her to lunch so she wasn't spending the whole day alone.

10. cassie

cassie <font color=green>I did run free in the 70's<br><f

11. mom2rb

mom2rb DIS Veteran

I teach gymnastics, I am sure by the end of the day we all smell. With the little girls, once a year I sit down the nine years olds and let them know that it is time to start wearing deodorant. They work out four hours a day and nobody wants to spot a smelly kid.

12. CynJ

CynJ Caffeinated Insomniac

I've only had a problem with body odor once that I remember.

The a man I worked for was American of Indian heritage and he decided to bring a couple of guys over from India to do some programming work for us. It was a good way for the two young men to learn first hand about the culture and work environments here in the US. They were set up in a modern apartment with all the amenities (including washer/dryer in the unit). One of the two was exceptionally enthusiastic about fitting in and doing all thing American (he was a lot of fun to be around as he discovered all kinds of new things- stuff we take for granted).

The other guy, however, was just painful to be around. He didn't shower (or bathe for that matter), wouldn't use deodorant, and would only rinse out his clothes and hang them. My boss had made sure they both had everything they needed and explained to this guy several times how the w/d worked and that it really was okay to use them. Nothing sunk in with him and his body odor grew by the day until it was practically tangible in the room with us all. Looking back on it now, I think he was very, very homesick and depressed. He wasn't happy here and didn't stay very long before returning to India.

I did work with this jerk a long time ago with a thoroughly disgusting habit of going in and completely fumigating the bathroom right off of the staff lunchroom five minutes before everyone would sit and eat (we had a very casual lunch schedule and ate whenever the lunch fetcher of the day got back). There were several bathrooms in the office, but he purposely used that one every single day. What made it worse was that he would brag about it and how bad it smelled before taking his food back to his desk. We did get our revenge on him though- we waited until April Fools day. One of the guys in the warehouse drove around for hours the night before looking for a skunk roadkill. He snagged a little of if it and after Mr. Jerk headed into the bathroom to start his normal routine of grossing us all out, we put a bit of dead skunk in his office for him to enjoy during *his* lunch. He was LIVID. Our company owner found out about it (loudly) from Mr. Jerk and called us in one by one to ask us why we would do that. He got really angry over Mr. Jerk's behavior and had that particular bathroom locked so no one could use it. None of us got into real trouble although a memo banning April Fools pranks was circulated soon thereafter.

13. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

huge giggle.

I once worked with an attorney who drank coffee every minute, second of the day. I dreaded going into his office to ask questions. How weird that it turned me off of coffee. He would start to speak and ewww, black coffee. It would even be on documents he would give me. With coffee cups rings all over them. I could smell coffee. I don't drink coffee to this day. It's like when you are young, say you get drunk on tequila *cough* and then you can no longer stand the smell of tequila *cough* because you got sick *cough* who me? ;) If you hate me, buy me a coffee and tequila drink ;)

14. honeydiane1953

honeydiane1953 DIS Veteran

My daughter (39) thanked me recently for keeping her and her brother clean. She is a successful dental hygenist and can't believe kids who are downright filthy. Mom's who never clean kids pierced earrings/holes etc. Hey as a Mom I did something right!;)

15. Tinkermommy

Tinkermommy <font color=deeppink>Not too exciting but we all c

My kids elementary school PE teacher is a trip.

My daughter said in 4th grade he sat all the kids down and told them they stank and they needed to use deodorant. :rotfl2:

I guess he got tired of smelling kid funk all day.

16. khertz

khertz Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I really believe that they are just so used to it that they don't notice. We had a patient that came to our hospital frequently and within minutes of her arrival, usually with her dad, the whole room smelled heavily of their BO. It was nauseating! And they always turned the air down to keep it really warm in there and that made it even worse.

As for co-workers, there is one man who delivers our supplies that absolutely reeks of cat urine. And of course, he likes to stand as close as physically possible to you when he needs to ask you to sign his delivery form. The worst is going into the supply room to get something while he is in there doing inventory. I have come close to passing out from trying to get in, get what I need and get out without taking a breath. It's horrible!

17. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

This!

18. DisneyMim

DisneyMim DIS Veteran

Years ago I worked with a man (he was my boss!) who had horrible BO. He was the nicest person and everyone liked him, but oh the stink!!!!! We would all talk about it (when he wasn't there) and we wondered why his wife didn't smell him and do something about it. Some of did go to upper management about it but as far as I know nobody ever said anything to him. It was funny because on Fridays he would work in another office so we all looked forward to Fridays!! It is a very delicate situation and really I can't think of a good solution.

19. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

I supervised someone who reeked of BO. She wasn't that way when I first met her but after a few years it was awful. No one wanted to sit in the cubical next to her.

She never bathed, never washed her clothes. I had to talk to her about it but nothing changed.

I even went to Human Resources but they said there was nothing they could do. She finally managed to screw up so bad that she was fired.

Everyone was happy to see her go.

20. Patch'sD

Patch'sD DIS Veteran

It didn't happen at work but on Company travel. Myself and a Co worker were flying from NY to LA. When we took our seats I had dozed off and was awoken by a fierce smell. The person who walked past me had such an odor it woke me up. I noticed that my co worker had to sit next to this person on the flight. Since we were traveling together we shared a rental car, Soon I noticed that same rank smell, like the Sinefeld episode the smell attached itself to my coworker. Being that I didn't want to have the smell attach to me, I made him sit in the back seat and I kept all four windows open for the drive from LA to San Diego.

21. NFLDERS

NFLDERS Ontario, Canada

Some Medical conditions can render a loss of sense. (Smell)