Still Another POR/POFQ Question.

Martyap

Mouseketeer
Thanks for all your good advice. It is really appreciated.
We had booked months ago at POFQ for this summer and got a 5% discount today due to the current sale. We have ruled out switching to a POR standard room but based on your advice switching to a POR Preferred room should be considered.....it would save us an additional $400. Switching to a standard POR would save us even more.

One of the reasons we selected POFQ was it was compact; easier to get around and the Disney bus system is less congested that at POR. Since we are a family of 10, we did not want to wait on long bus lines or get split up going to a park; have the kids walk too far to the restaurant; etc. Am I over thinking this?

I wouldn't let the busing waits/stops determine POFQ versus POR. Yes, there is only the one stop at POFQ, but buses often (every time in our experience) have to go through all the POR stops after leaving POFQ to go to a park. Coming back, POFQ was normally the first stop, which was nice for us (we stayed at POFQ). But if you're staying at POR, the process of getting to a park probably would be no different than if you're staying at POFQ, assuming you get a room reasonably close to a stop.

I do prefer POFQ to POR, but really just for the compactness of it. POR has some things POFQ doesn't have, most notably a table service restaurant. Even though POR is more spread out, meaning more walking for tired legs, a greater discount on POR versus POFQ would have to be considered by me.

I stayed at POR last October after staying at POFQ the previous 4 vacations. I really stressed out about the bus system but was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I waited more than 10 minutes for a bus the entire week, either going to a park or returning to the resort. I had reserved a preferred room location for this trip and was glad I did. I liked the Bayou section better than the mansions.

I believe that on the other thread that you posted on this subject, most of the replies recommended staying at POR in a preferred room. Thus walking any distance is avoided. We have never encountered problems with the buses at POR on any of our stays there. I think you can switch to POR without any cause for anxiety.

Preferred rooms at por will definitely keep you from walking to far. they are very close to the pool and main building and the bus stop. we stayed in one last aug. it was well worth it. I don't think the buses are an issue we had no trouble, never waiting more than ten minutes.

In response to a PP - POFQ and POR only share buses at certain times of day during certain times of the year. In the mornings and at park closing, each resort will have their own. Frankly, we prefer POR or POFQ when it comes to buses because the multiple bus stops at POR make the stops less crowded.

I would recommend a standard or garden view (my preference) at POR. I would request Magnolia Terrace. It's very close to the main pool, buildings, quiet pool, nightly movies, and the last stop on the bus route. We are staying here again in two weeks, and I'll be requesting this building again.

I would recommend a standard or garden view (my preference) at POR. I would request Magnolia Terrace. It's very close to the main pool, buildings, quiet pool, nightly movies, and the last stop on the bus route. We are staying here again in two weeks, and I'll be requesting this building again.

Remember a request, is just a request. There are no guarantees that you will get the building you want. There is always a possibility that your room could be super far away, and then you will be wishing that you were at POFQ!

Op for someone like you who does over think things, I think you should go with a preferred room, not a standard room. At least then you will know you will be relatively close to the restaurant and main pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter