Stealing from room safe

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by retlaw_yensid, Aug 21, 2013.

1. shyjade

shyjade DIS Veteran

Since the All Stars still have the old safes which open with a key, it was likely not one of the nicer, larger, electronic keypad safes like the Poly has (LOVE those, HATE the value safes).

I'd like to think this might be enough to prompt Disney to upgrade the key safes to the electronic safes, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. karriealex

karriealex When I am at the Grand Floridian I am home

If that is true then it would be very easy to steal from those safes. All a mousekeeper would have to do is get a key out of a room when it wasn't in use and have a copy made. They could do that multiple times with different rooms. Would make sense for Disney to upgrade. I never thought of this when we used them and always considered them safe. Not any more. Of course if they do upgrade each person who stayed there would need to take responsibility for not leaving a key laying around as you can bypass the code using your key.

4. Ziggie

Ziggie The TF Fairy is Inspiried by Ziggie

[​IMG]

I want to really know how she got into the locked safe. I know there's been speculation (duplicate key made.. not sure how that could happen though, aren't the keys copy proof to the average person?)

This disturbs me. I know "it happens"... but it still ruffles my feathers :(

5. karriealex

Where there is a will there is a way. I don't think the mousekeeper probably went through normal means to get a key made as it might be questioned.

6. Pixel Dust

Pixel Dust It's a trap!

So, they set up the bait inside the locked safe, and didn't point a camera at the safe? What kind of surveillance team does that? :confused3

7. Ziggie

What I'm looking to learn is how she actually did it, know what I mean? I'm quite curious about it. I'm realistic enough to know that I'll probably never find out though :scratchin

8. Ziggie

Amateur sleuths! lol!

Seriously, that part makes no sense at all. With the tiny size of cameras, you could put one virtually anywhere.

9. bxccah

bxccah Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Spooked me too, I'll be storing $400 cash, as I don't have a credit card!

10. karriealex

We are talking about Florida here and yes I live here. We can't get an election correct much less surveillance LOL

11. JanaDee

JanaDee DIS Veteran

The safe was locked.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...sney-worker-stealing-20130821,0,6027089.story

Even if the safe wasn't locked and she took something that didn't belong to her, she's a thief.

12. karriealex

I would keep it on you in one of those money pouches that you can tie around your waist. I know a lot of international travelers use those.

13. bxccah

Okay, now I'm a little worried, I'm staying at All Star... Would I be better just keeping my passport etc in the safe and actually HIDING my cash where it's not gonna be found? :O

14. Ziggie

Ooo.. don't do that. Purchase a Visa Vanilla One card and put the money on that.

15. karriealex

That is a good idea and then she/he can keep it on them and not in the room.

16. TarmackQT

TarmackQT Earning My Ears

cash is a major valuable?

17. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

Yeah:rotfl2:

Bizarre!

By the way, you can't generally get a copy of those keys made.

I will continue to use the safe, it's safer then most of the other ideas I see on here. But as usual folks will let one incident determine their future actions. As someone who has used hotel safes extensively with no issues the odds seem to be on my side that a safe is safer then carrying lots of cash, "attempting" to hide my valuables in my suitcase etc.

Of course you can always decide not to take the "valuables" (I am amazed that folks bring some stuff on vacation. I met a woman once who lost several thousands in jewerly at an airport. She took her jewelry because "it's dangerous to leave it at home" and...)

As for the prepaid credit card, check the fees!!

18. Ziggie

I love living down here but I sure wish I didn't read stories like this (sigh).

We just came back from an 8 day stay at Boardwalk Villas and, to be honest, we don't even request room service. I make the bed and, in the evening, I ask for bath towels, soap and clean dish towels to be sent up. They don't access our room for most of the stay.

If I need some light vacuuming, I have them do it while I'm in the room.

19. Nigel Channing

Nigel Channing Earning My Ears

With debit cards being accepted nearly everywhere, there is really no reason to bring large amounts of cash with you on vacation these days unless you are going somewhere like Vegas where you need cash to gamble.

However, this would be an issue with jewelry as I don't know any women who wouldn't bring their engagement/wedding rings on vacation. They might not want to wear those when going swimming or to a water park.

20. Ziggie

Those vanilla cards are awesome. I use them when shopping online (so much safer!)

I highly recommend them.

21. bxccah

Is it a USA thing? I'm from the UK