Staying at OKW ?s

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
We are DVC members at BWV, but will be staying at OKW this trip for the 1st time.

Any tips on the resort, things to do there, etc? How is the restaurant? Is there anything you can walk to from resort or do you have to drive/bus?

Thanks!:Pinkbounc

Can only answer on Olivia's Restaurant. It was very good for dinner, service was slow and laid back but we weren't in a hurry so that was ok. We had a car so I don't know how the transportation is there. :D

Olivia's is decent...we have found it to be kind of hit or miss, although our last couple of trips they have been "hitting", so maybe that's changed.

I have found no problem with the bus transportation, although there are some who feel it's slow.

They have a boat that you can take to DD which lets you off near the Captain Jack's/Rainforest Cafe end of DD. There is also a path that you can walk to DD, which I htink winds you up near Cirque De Soleil, and walks you right past the new Saratoga Springs resort. Other than that, everything else is bus, or car if you have one.

The main pool area is nice, with a play area for the kids, but there is no special slide or anything there...just a very nice pool, sort of a little curvy, with a cute little bridge that goes over it. They also have 3 quiet pools. DH and I generally prefer to be near the quiet pools, either Turtle Pond or South Point. The Millers Road quiet pool is kind of near the road, so oyu do hear some road noise.

There is bike and boat rental, and arcade, a small bar, a snack bar near the Turtle Pond quiet pool that is open at certain times of the year, a gift shop with a good selection of stuff, plus a petty good selection of grocery items(albeit expensive).

It's a very laid-back, relaxing reosrt. Not a lot of hustle-bustle, like oyu might find at BWV or BCV.

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to a relaxing vacation this time.

Disney Doll - we live in Milford! Do you own at OKW?

Disney Doll hit everything pretty well. We like to take the walkway to DTD (in the daylight), and take the pontoon back after dark.

WE also like the quiet pool areas. We especially like the one near South Point, since it seems to get the least use and is close to the walkway to DTD.

We have never had much trouble with the buses at OKW, but I must say, our trip two weeks ago, the buses were WONDERFUL! We never waited more than a few minutes for one, and the only route that takes extra time, is the one to AK, and that is because it also stops at Blizzard Beach.

We also like walking the sidewalks early in the morning. There is always a lot of wildlife around the OKW grounds.

Don't forget to just LOOK AROUND. The place is so beautiful... really a spot to "stop and smell the flowers." I love flowers, and in March when we visit there are none at home -- it's winter! OKW always makes me remember that the best days of my life are spent at Disney World, and to really relax and enjoy and take it all in!

Look for the ducks and bunnies -- they are really tame. My kids love this! Walk around some of the buildings and look at how unique they are -- really beautiful. Hang out in the little store -- a lot of the cast members are retired folks and they are really nice --and don't forget to have a strawberry smoothie, because the ones here are THE BEST!

Don't forget to sit on your balcony. Get in the hot tubs -- they are always really warm. Look for the little lizards that run all around the cement paths. Take lots of pictures.

Can you tell I love this place? Have fun!

Originally posted by colleen costello
Hang out in the little store -- a lot of the cast members are retired folks

I think Disney should give first dibs on working in the OKW store to retired DVC folks, like I'll be soon. Then at the end of the day, I could just walk on down to my Villa. I think I just found a new Disney dream job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter