Staying at a non-host resort

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by MomofDisneyLoversx3, Jul 23, 2014.

1. MomofDisneyLoversx3

MomofDisneyLoversx3 DIS Veteran

Hi All!

Wondering if anyone has stayed at a non-host resort for a running event. My mom and I are doing the Wine & Dine Half in November. I truly do not want to stay at the Poly. I want to stay at AKL (because I love it!!) Wondering what everyone's experience is for RunDisney events. This is my first.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

A friend of mine did it and said never again. He said the pain in the butt was having to secure and wait for taxis to get to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and then back to his resort after the race. He waited for a cab outside Epcot for over 2 hours at 2AM after running 13 miles.

4. MrsDuck

MrsDuck DIS Veteran

Wine & Dine will be our 4th RunDisney event and there is NO way I would NOT take Disney transportation... it is much more stressful to drive yourself, in my opinion.

5. MomofDisneyLoversx3

But is it possible to take Disney transportation from a non-host resort?

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

No, it's not offered from the non-host resorts. But if a host resort is the BC and YC, and you are staying at the BW, you can walk over to the BC and YC to catch a bus. You can't do that at AKL.

Especially for the late night races. You'll need a cab.

7. MomofDisneyLoversx3

Thanks guys. I have zero interest in staying in a construction zone. I guess I will stay Mod for the race weekend and AKL either before or after. So thurs, fri at CBR, then Sat, Sun, Mon @ AKL. Does this sound feasible? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first race, my mom has all the info from wdw but she asked me to handle the rooms since I'm the "Disney girl".

8. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Discussions on the wish forum in the wine and dine thread have said that if you must stay at a non host resort for a race, the wine dine is the one to do it. I believe it actually starts at Epcot so the buses don't take you to espn. You can actually just go to Epcot. You could rent a car and drive there then have the car sitting there when you are done with the after party.

You might want to go find the thread (I would point you there but I'm on my cell and that's not easy) and look for the discussion or ask there. I was nearly swayed from SSR to OKW because of what rusted people told me there.

9. rpcvpanama

rpcvpanama Mouseketeer

Actually, for the W&D I believe it starts at ESPN WWOS but you have to park (if driving) at Epcot. We were not at a host hotel but had our own car. We drove to the Epcot parking lot and got on one of the RunDisney buses that took us over to ESPN WWOS. As the race ends at Epcot we were able to get right in the car after the event and head back to our resort.

You mentioned in your plan of moving to AKL on Saturday, isn't the W&D race Saturday night?

You might want to look into renting a car for a few days. This will certainly be your fastest and least time wasteful way to do it. You could also take Disney transportation from whichever resort to Epcot before it closes and then get on one of the RunDisney buses to ESPN WWOS. But, after the race you would have to find a taxi to get you back to your resort.

Hope that helps.