Stay at Pop and swim at AOA?

I have been told the pool will be gated and you need your room key to enter
Thanks for the info!:)

If you hear anything concerning the future of Generation Gap Bridge,please post.:)

The info reportedly given to participants on the recent Tour is that WDI "currently" plans to open GGB,but are concerned that will encourage Pop Century Guests to visit AoA.(Logical assumption!;):))

They were also told it is too cost-prohibitive to remove GGB and that it could end up staying closed and just used for Special Events and Parties(it seems like GGB would just be an eyesore under that scenario with walls blocking it off).

To me,since it is definitely becoming apparent Disney wants to keep POP and AoA VERY separated(as oposed to the original plans for Pop Century-The Classic Years and Pop Century-TLegendary Years),GGB needs to come down.It just provides too much access between the 2 Resorts.

Since The Big Blue is going to be "gated",I think POP Guests will want the Hippy Dippy Pool "gated"(which would only be fair).With GGB in place and open,I think Disney is looking for a huge "headache" in trying to keep the resorts "separate" and if they keep GGB "walled off",that is NOT going to look very "Disney" or very "magical".:)

If GGB comes down,then the desire to keep the Resorts "separate" would be "practical".

It is going to be so interesting to watch how all of this "plays out" as time moves on.:)

If anyone is interested in reading the firsthand report:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=834614
copy and pasted:
I had the opportunity to take a hardhat tour of the Art of Animation Resort today. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll offer some highlights from the tour, which was conducted by Dierdra, a member of WDI's construction department.

Starting at the main building, guests will see the similarities to Pop, but will also notice the major differences. Not only is it amazingly colorful (with giant murals which start as BW sketches and advance to color cels as you move across the lobby, which has floors covered in a mosaic of tile), but they've built in a very large "Kids Room" (so they can watch movies and unwind while mom or dad checks in), and a new "pod" style check-in desk. Instead of one long, impersonal counter, they have islands with 2 stations each. That way the cast members can come around and interact with guests if necessary.

There will be a giant arcade, as well as the usual amenities like public restrooms, pay phones, and the Ink & Paint Gift Shop.

The food court (Landscape of Flavors) is quite expansive, and very open. They're going to offer new an innovative food stations with several made-to-order meals, including salads. There are LCD menu boards hanging all around, and there's plenty of room to eat.

Heading out the back doors, you encounter the feature pool - themed to Nemo - which is the largest non-water park pool on property, in surface area. It has the only zero-entry of any value resort, and offers many other premium features. They're deciding what sort of validation system they'll need to use to prevent pool hopping to this pool (the first value that will have this problem).

As you look around, all you see are gigantic colorful buildings with sketches and painted animation artwork, rockwork in the Lion King area, a huge Crush outside the Nemo building, and many other larger than life decorations. Very similar to the All Stars and Pop, only higher quality.

Now, to the rooms. We visited a nearly complete room in the Nemo building, which will be the first to open. All that's left is to hang a few televisions (which were sitting in boxes) and touch up some paint. The rooms are more impressive in person than in the renderings we've seen.

The master bedroom has its own dresser and TV. It also has a master bathroom with a tiled shower with glass doors. The living room has another built-in dresser and another TV. The kitchenette is in there, as well as a large sleeper sofa and two ottomans. The most amazing feature is the Kitchen Table Murphy Bed. With one finger, she pulled on the wall and out folded a bed, while simultaneously (safely) collapsing the kitchen table. The bed revealed Nemo, painted on the wall, with a couple LED reading lights.

The master bedroom has a queen, while the sofa and murphy are doubles.

Among features that are NOT typical of value resorts are central air (a thermostat on the wall and no clunky unit under the window), interior corridors (in the 3 suite areas...the Mermaid buildings will have the usual exterior walkways), and large windows that look out onto the pool (or other views).

Some points of interest:

* There is a subtle hint to the coming of NextGen in the door locks. They use RFID proximity sensors, so you don't actually put your KttW card in the door, you just wave it near the door. Obviously, this is their first opportunity to build the new technology into a resort from scratch. I'm sure we'll start seeing them replacing door handles all over property.

* When asked what will become of the "Generation Gap" bridge, she said, "The official response from WDI right now is simply 'we don't know'." She went on to explain that the plan is to re-open it, but they have no idea what to call it yet. The current name obviously has to go. They're also wondering if opening it really is a good idea, since it will only promote Pop guests to meander toward the AoA amenities.

* While the target completion date for the entire project is "end of year", she said - off the record - that they're a bit ahead of schedule, and that Mermaid (the last phase to open), might open earlier than expected.

The price to stay here is obviously higher than anything else in this category, but after having seen the resort in person, the higher rates are justified. The place has features from Moderate and Deluxe Resorts - and can't even be compared to the rest of the Values (except for Mermaid, but even then, those guests will have access to the rest of the resort's amenities).

Also, let me emphasize that this is not second hand information, nor did it come from a bus driver. I toured the resort in person, and our guide was a WDI rep who is directly overseeing the project. There were other WDW personnel involved as well - all at higher pay grades than "just a CM".

I can now pass judgement on the resort, and I give it two thumbs up.

No, I do not have any photos because, as expected, that was forbidden.

Each Disney resort is not a gated community. I seriously doubt the bridge will come down or close. If I was staying at AoA, I would love to have the option of easily walking to POP to get my tie dye cheesecake and jump on the bus from there to go to a park. I dont usually go to WDW when it's great swimming weather, so pool hopping isn't really a care of mine.

Well, thanks everyone for the responses I think.

I'm sure that I had read last year that the Pop busses were to share with AOA. That would give merit to the assumption that they were sister resorts. If that has changed, that's a bonus for both resorts. I really wasn't looking forward to having to share busses with another resort. I don't stay at values like Pop or AOA because they are luxurious. I stay at Pop because they have the most efficient transportation of all the resorts IMO. And yes, I have stayed at just about all of them on property.

So I guess we will just have to be patient and wait.

Unfortunately, a speculation on the disboards or any place else suddenly becomes news. Until Disney releases the info, it is not factual, just speculation.

IMO Zero entry pool are not that great. The little kids are always sitting in the zero entry part so you have to enter the pool that same old way as a regular pool. I'm sure it will be super crowded with the AOA guests and I hope that they will be making sure that the AOA guest will not being coming over to the POP pool making it more crowded, if you can't go pool hopping...:-)

The purpose of a zero entry pool is so that smaller children and those with disabilities can get in more safely and stay in an appropriate depth for them. "Little kids" are supposed to sit there. An able bodied adult should be entering the "same old way".

The purpose of a zero entry pool is so that smaller children and those with disabilities can get in more safely and stay in an appropriate depth for them. "Little kids" are supposed to sit there. An able bodied adult should be entering the "same old way".

Thank you for posting that. I agree the poster totally missed the reason for a zero entry pool. As an architect and a CM for the govt., this is a passion for me.

FWIW...the Epcot resorts share bus transportation, as do WL & FW, and, I believe some of the monorail resorts. They aren't considered "sister" resorts, and there is no pool sharing among them. Even if the bus transportation is shared by AOA and Pop, it doesn't necessarily translate to sharing of other amenities.

FWIW...the Epcot resorts share bus transportation, as do WL & FW, and, I believe some of the monorail resorts. They aren't considered "sister" resorts, and there is no pool sharing among them. Even if the bus transportation is shared by AOA and Pop, it doesn't necessarily translate to sharing of other amenities.

That is a great point.:)

IMHO,I think POP and AoA will end up sharing buses occasionally in the non-peak late AM/early PM hours.:)

Even though it does now "appear" Disney will not designate the 2 Resorts "Sister Resorts",because Generation Gap Bridge is staying and the access between the 2 Resorts it provides,IMHO,the 2 Resorts are still going to "feel" like one big Resort(as was the intent for Pop Century-The Classic Years and Pop Century-the Legendary Years).

For example,The Big Blue is going to be "gated",but what is goping to keep AoA Guests from using the Hippy Dippy,Computer,and Bowling Pin Pools and what is going to keep POP Guests from using the Cozy Cone Pool and Flippin’ Fins Pool?

As long as GGB remains,there is just naturally going to be some "interaction" between the 2 Resorts.:)

For example,AoA Guests may decide to hop on a POP bus when returning from a Park(if it arrives at the Park Bus Stop before an AoA bus) and then use GGB to return "home" and vice-versa for POP Guests returning from a Park.:)

For example,The Big Blue is going to be "gated",but what is goping to keep AoA Guests from using the Hippy Dippy,Computer,and Bowling Pin Pools and what is going to keep POP Guests from using the Cozy Cone Pool and Flippin’ Fins Pool?

I've been "carded" at the pool before...so yes, it can be stopped.

Again, am I missing something? These deluxe amenities consist of a zero entry pool. :confused3 This is supposed to attract crowds of interlopers from Pop???

I imagine people will go over to AoA to look around. A few may get wet in the pool (right or wrong and I'm not saying which since none of us know yet)... But crowds??? I think not.

Pools that have problems with people showing up that don't belong have attractive water features such as SAB, not a single feature such as zero entry.

Again, am I missing something? These deluxe amenities consist of a zero entry pool. :confused3 This is supposed to attract crowds of interlopers from Pop???

I imagine people will go over to AoA to look around. A few may get wet in the pool (right or wrong and I'm not saying which since none of us know yet)... But crowds??? I think not.

Pools that have problems with people showing up that don't belong have attractive water features such as SAB, not a single feature such as zero entry.

It's a big, beautiful pool according to the newest reports, it's far nicer than what is at the other values. I'd think that due to the proximity of POP, there could be far more people trying to hang out at the pool than it was designed for. It makes a lot of sense to keep the pools open to guests of that resort only, to make sure that the pools are not overcrowded. It would be difficult to provide an adequate number of lifeguards if you have no idea of how many people might be in the pool at any given time.

So if little kids are sitting there, how are people with disabilities to enter the pool??? If little kids are "supposed to sit there" then maybe they should change the name to toddler sitting area and not a way to ENTER the pool.
But my whole point is that zero entry is not that great. It's not a slide and it's not a lazy river so the nemo pool is just as good as the pop pool was all I was saying...............................

Someone posted pictures of recent construction and from what I recall there was a gate around the pool. I'm guessing it's staying too because it was colored to match the theme of the pool. People were talking about it there and the general consensus was that you'd need your room key/RFID to get into the pool. I've stayed at quite a few hotels like that over the years and even my apartment complex is like this.

Someone posted pictures of recent construction and from what I recall there was a gate around the pool. I'm guessing it's staying too because it was colored to match the theme of the pool.

Could you please tell us where you saw the construction photos? I'd love to look at them. Thanks.
Well, you're never going to make everyone happy; it's just not possible. We just called our agent and changed our ressies from Pop to AoA's Little Mermaid and we're so excited about it. :yay: I've never stayed in a brand new resort and I think it will be a fun experience. I'm going at an 'off' time, but I'm still expecting 'extra' crowds because I think it's only natural that guests from Pop will want to visit and see the new place; I know that I would. If the date hadn't moved up we would have been at Pop and I know I would have loved to visit AoA while I was there. I hope they keep the bridge as it's very picturesque and I'm sure that Disney will figure out what to do about the pool. They always go with whatever is safest. :thumbsup2
BTW, I'm loving this website!

So if little kids are sitting there, how are people with disabilities to enter the pool??? If little kids are "supposed to sit there" then maybe they should change the name to toddler sitting area and not a way to ENTER the pool.
But my whole point is that zero entry is not that great. It's not a slide and it's not a lazy river so the nemo pool is just as good as the pop pool was all I was saying...............................

Most people know that zero entry is made for small children and people with disabilities. It's an ADA thing, and the name is accurate, and because it's necessary for some people to be able to enjoy the pool, yes, it is that great. So sorry you don't like it, but again, it's not for you. No need to get in a twist about it.

I've been "carded" at the pool before...so yes, it can be stopped.
Thanks!:)I just have never seen Guests carded at a Value Resort Pool.:)

Since The Big Blue will be "room card "gate activated"",is it your understanding that the "ungated pools" -Hippy Dippy,Bowling Pin,Computer,Cozy Cone,Flippin' Fins-will have Cast Members stationed at them to "card" Guests?

Thanks again for the great info!:)

Someone posted pictures of recent construction and from what I recall there was a gate around the pool. I'm guessing it's staying too because it was colored to match the theme of the pool. People were talking about it there and the general consensus was that you'd need your room key/RFID to get into the pool. I've stayed at quite a few hotels like that over the years and even my apartment complex is like this.
Yes,Backstage Gal(who always has extremely credible info) has confirmed that The Big Blue will be "gated" with room card access only.:)

Backstage Gal has also confirmed that Generation Gap Bridge is staying and will be open between the 2 Resorts.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter