Starved for Hockey

minniecarousel

Chris Isaak fan
We miss NHL games so much that DH is watching junior hockey - Moosejaw vs Edmonton.

This NHL stike has me really ticked for 2 main reasons, one personal and one not. The personal one is that last Christmas our younger son gave us tix to a game (@ San Jose). They bought 6 tix - for DH & me and our older son and daughter-in-law. It was for a Saturday game in March. On that day, my husband fainted and we rushed him to the hosp via ambulance. They didn't find anything wrong with his heart. He didn't have a stroke. They determined that he was dehydrated. They didn't admit him and he followed up with his own doctor on Monday. BUT - after spending the afternoon in the ER, he wasn't up to going to the game (we convinced the kids to go ahead and go - they did) DH was asleep in his recliner when the game came on TV.

We said that we'd buy 6 tix this season and treat the gang to a game, since we couldn't go last March. Now younger DS and DDIL are moving to NY, so we won't have the oportunity to do this fun family event.

The non-personal reason is that many downtown San Jose (where the arena is located) restaurants depend on the hockey season for their revenue. It saddens me that those places suffer because of this stupid lock-out.

I just wish these idiot millionaire owners would settle!

not a fan of Hockey but I feel your pain, when basketball or football are on strike, it kills me and it makes me mad when people says "i could care less", if you look forward to the outlet it drives you nuts when you don't have it

I am right there with you. After 15 years we finally got our Jets back and now we can't even cheer for them. This strike really bugs me. It's millionaires arguing with billionaires and no one has the fans in mind. Neither side wants to blink first so I am afraid this season will be a wash.

That's going to be bad, bad news for a lot of markets without a strong fan base. I think I read that 6 or 7 American teams are in danger of folding due to finances. This strike won't help them at all. I also hear a lot of people saying that when hockey comes back they won't watch. I will harbor a guess that the first game back, our arena will be filled to the rafters. I don't agree with the strike but it won't affect my love for hockey at all.

People still watch the NHL in the States?

They are not even a major sport here. Have you heard ONE word in the last week on ESPN about it? Nope..

Nobody is watching it...

Found out today that the All-Stars Game, which was going to take place in Columbus, has been cancelled. I always look forward to the skills competition.

And New Year's Day won't be the same without the Winter Classic. :sad:

They are not even a major sport here. Have you heard ONE word in the last week on ESPN about it? Nope..

Nobody is watching it...

Still a MAJOR sport here in Chicago! And last I checked we are in the States. Miss my Blackhawks 2 years removed from the 1st Stanley Cup I can remember.Biggest parade downtown ever and that includes the bears in 85 and White Sox in 05 and those bulls championships in the 90's.(basketball puts me to sleep) ESPN doesn't mean anything. Their hockey coverage started decreasing when they lost NHL contract a few years back.
If you wanted to start a new league you would start with Jonathan Toews !!:worship:

Yep, the are really stripping it all down to the bare bones. There's always something special about seeing the guys play outdoors. One of my favorite hockey memories (not involving my Jets) is the first year they played the outdoor game. The Montreal goalie, who's name escapes me wore a toque over his helmet. It still makes me smile because that's what we do up here.

Come on guys! Work it out so we can start watching again! Think about the fans spending hard earned money to watch you! Sorry, I'm really passionate about this. Yes, it's about and not aboot despite what you may believe : D

Our Red Wings are sorely missed, I assure you... it's definitely still followed here in the States! And I completely agree about the revenue for local businesses, as if Detroit needs to get kicked while it's down. Come back, NHL!

I will add that as avid University of Michigan fans (and alumni), we are so sad about the Winter Classic being cancelled which was scheduled to be played at The Big House. It would have been legendary for us!

Nobody is watching it...

What state do you live in? Do you not have a team?

Yep, here in Chicago it's a sad state of affairs. And of course nobody is watching it......there are no games!!

Nobody is watching it...

Her in the DC area, it's huge. We love our Capitals. Of course, no one is watching now because no games are being played...

Well if ESPN doesn't talk about, it must not be important? :sad2: (ESPN is a joke).

Here in Buffalo, which as far as I know is part of "The States", the lockout is being felt in a big way. Beyond the die hard Sabres fans here, there are also those, as a pp mentioned, those who make their living indirectly on hockey. The bars and pubs near the arena, the parking lots downtown, and of course, those that work in the arena and for the team.

I am not so quick to blame ONLY the owners and Bettman though. Players rep Donald Fehr is on an extended ego trip himself, and now I feel that it isn't even about what is in the best interest of the league, but rather an ego clash between two men who are not lacking one iota in the "ego" department.

The NHL is already losing it's casual fanbase because of this, and the next step is for the diehard fan to take a stand and not come back if these guys ever get their act together.

We love and miss hockey too. We were going to bite the bullet and get Bruins tickets this year. DD13 is a huge fan and both of my daughters are playing on a travel hockey time for the first time this year. Lucky for us we live near Dartmouth College so we still get to see some good hockey. But really - being back hockey!

Why not find a college hockey team to support? Tickets are significantly cheaper, and those college students play with far more effort than you will ever see in the NHL. I'm an avid UNH Wildcats fan and watching the Bruins after years of watching UNH is like watching a ballet. The college kids are playing to get somewhere after college. The pros are making the big bucks and there is no more ladder for them to climb. If your son is moving to NY, there are plenty of teams in NY, and you could use watching a game as an excuse to visit him.

My 3 boys are HUGE hockey fans, and really upset about this strike...however I am :cool1::cool1::cool1: about this strike.

My kids have decided to join a rec soccer team which plays Saturday evenings. They would have never done this if not for the hockey strike. They also do a lot more with me and DH because they are not home watching hockey games.

I know what you mean too. Living out of my home state, watching the games is one the few things I have to make me feel more connected. I'm actually home for Thanksgiving right now, and drove past Joe Louis Arena last night...it was sad.

And of course ESPN isn't covering the NHL right now...what is there to cover? They aren't playing so there are no games to discuss. The talks have ceased so there is no news to report. What are they supposed to do? Spend 10 minutes saying "the NHL is still in a lock out..."

My son is a huge Flyers fan and he is pretty hockey starved as well.

Living in Northern California, we don't have college hockey, but we do have 2 minor league teams. Neither is at an arena that I'm comfortable going to (Stockton & So. San Francisco). We might consider the SF arena, especially of there's a day game, but we really want our Sharks back!

My family is really missing the Bruins!!

My DH&DS were watching that same junior hockey game today too.
I really wish the strike would end.
The last couple years DH has taken DS to a BOston University game. I hope they get the tix this yr.

It is a lock out, not a strike. And if the objective of the owners was to alienate and lose those casually interested in the game, whom they need for the sport to grow, they're doing a bang up job of it.

Sad that the Kings probably won't get to defend their title.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter