• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting trip Tomorrow!!!! Question about Canadians and currency/money stuff?? Help!

famograham

Linda
Hi Everybody!!!

Well, our cruise begins tomorrow...and we'll be at DL on Wednesday!!!! :cool1:

We are Canadians, and I'm now worrying about money!
What would you suggest we do?
I am considering using our Visa exclusively. For purchases, the credit card company will add 2.5% on to the exchange rate. For cash advances, they will charge $3.00 per transaction. I'm not sure if I can even get a cash advance from a US bank machine.

So, do you think we should use the Visa? Is it accepted everywhere at DL?
Or, should we use traveler's cheques?
Or should we just get a bunch of cash converted to US dollars?

I probably should NOT have left this for the last day!!!

Help?

Thanks in advance,

pixiedust:
Linda

Hi Everybody!!!

Well, our cruise begins tomorrow...and we'll be at DL on Wednesday!!!! :cool1:

We are Canadians, and I'm now worrying about money!
What would you suggest we do?
I am considering using our Visa exclusively. For purchases, the credit card company will add 2.5% on to the exchange rate. For cash advances, they will charge $3.00 per transaction. I'm not sure if I can even get a cash advance from a US bank machine.

So, do you think we should use the Visa? Is it accepted everywhere at DL?
Or, should we use traveler's cheques?
Or should we just get a bunch of cash converted to US dollars?

I probably should NOT have left this for the last day!!!

Help?

Thanks in advance,

pixiedust:
Linda

i suggest you use traveler check or cash. using a VISA is really expensive BUT please do ask your bank though. i know a few banks have free transaction free...

reminder though, make sure the traveler's check is IN US DOLLARS. If not, Disneyland will not accept them.

again, ask your bank. they might have USD available to exchange or exchange them at the airport...

I would just use the bank machine. If you're banking with one of the major Canadian Banks your card should be accepted everywhere, just check if it has a PLUS or CIRIUS (?) logo on your card and machine. And, you'll get a good conversion (at 97 cents now...awesome).

I've used this method because I don't have to carry around a bunch of cash, and I don't have to worry about travellers cheques, where I've always had a hassle. Of course I'll use the credit card too :)

Have a good time!

We usually use all three. We use our Visa's and MC's for most purchases because of the convience, traveller's cheques and cash for the small things. If you don't have time to get Travellers cheques, you'll be fine getting some us cash and using your credit cards. Just keep alert and make sure you don't lose your wallets :thumbsup2

Travellers cheques are a great way to go. The cruise ship will exchange them over the counter at the purser's desk, and you can easily use them at any store or restaurant location within Disneyland. Outside of those two places you may experience some challenges exchanging travellers cheques as they have been subject to increasing levels of fraud and counterfeiting over the last couple of years. As for VISA, or for that matter your debit card, they both work fine in the US. Most institutions (and CIBC for sure) charge a $3.50 transaction fee for ABM withdrawls, and the actual exchange rate plus a 2.5% surcharge. So, if you plan on taking this route ensure you are with withdrawing larger sums and minimizing the number of transactions. For VISA there is no per transaction charge, they charge you only the exchange rate for the US to CDN exchange, cash advances on your VISA would be subject to a service fee plus the exchange rate. I'm doing a cruise and DL stay in 20 days (not that I'm counting) and will be taking some cash and the balance in travellers cheques.

BTW, if you have a gold or travel VISA, the bank that issues your VISA or MC will probably not charge you the standard 1% charge for the travellers cheques.

I hope that helps! I work for a bank and know most of the ins and outs, so let me know if you have any other questions!

For us we use cash or Mastercard and collect points. We have had problems in the past using travellers cheques as some places refused to accept them. :confused3

For us we use cash or Mastercard and collect points. We have had problems in the past using travellers cheques as some places refused to accept them. :confused3

well, all locations, even the ODV carts accept Travelers check, BUT they must be in US Dollars... and only sign the top line. sign the bottom line in front of the vendor...

i know many of the people would go and buy things and use up their travelers check and end up with a lot of cash to use else where.

well, all locations, even the ODV carts accept Travelers check, BUT they must be in US Dollars... and only sign the top line. sign the bottom line in front of the vendor...

i know many of the people would go and buy things and use up their travelers check and end up with a lot of cash to use else where.

We had no problems using them in the park or DD. Where we had problems using them was offsite at restaurants, stores etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter