Start preparing months before

candacewi5

Mouseketeer
Anyone going to WDW for the first time please do yourself a favor and start working on your and your children's walking endurance! We have walked 10-15 miles per park day according to my fitbit and I believe it! Heck, even on our "off" day we still walked over 5 miles and we weren't even in any parks. My children and I started walking the treadmills at the gym 2 months ago and working steadily on increasing our distance. It wasn't enough, but I am glad we were more prepared than we had been. I cannot stress how important it is for you and your children to be ready to tackle these distances!

Thanks so much for this reminder. I keep telling the kids we are going to walk to build up our endurance. How many miles did you build up to in order to feel comfortable with the walking level at the parks? Thanks!

endurance is great. but useless without comfortable footwear (minimum 2 pair). make sure you break-in any new sneakers/walking shoes beforehand

I second this! We will be walking the dog around the neighborhood every chance we get. And starting when school is out, we'll be taking the kids to the HS track in town to walk laps maybe even run.

endurance is great. but useless without comfortable footwear (minimum 2 pair). make sure you break-in any new sneakers/walking shoes beforehand
SO TRUE, SO TRUE, SO TRUE.

I saw another post about someone wanting "Sandals" for wide feet and I just cringed. I suppose everyone is different, but I wore sandals one day in the park (and they were very comfortable sandals too), but it wasn't good enough. Most sandals don't have the cushion or arch support that you might want for a full day of walking in the parks.

Have a good pair of shoes and absolutely make sure you break them in too before you get there, otherwise bring the Aspirin and Moleskin, as you will likely need both.

Did our first endurance walk with the kids today. They made a goal at the track of walking 3 laps. Reached their goal and then ran 2 more laps! These 4.5 yr olds might be track stars some day. We're off to a very good start.

The first time we took our kids (I think they were K and 2nd grade) we even called our trips around the block "Disney Training Walks" We spent the walk time talking about Disney and getting them excited (as if they needed that!). My pedometer logged between 10 and 12 miles each day we were there that trip and both kids were AMAZING.

Loved seeing this today! The first time I took my children they were turning 5 and we walked daily for months. I didn't want to need a stroller and I figured working up their little legs would be key, it worked! No stroller and not a single leg complaint! Now we are going again and they are 13. When I mentioned getting back to training walks they were, lets just say, less than thrilled. We did our first one last night (the snow is finally gone and we have our sidewalks back) and while it was only a half hour it was a start and my son said it wasn't that bad ;)! My children think they don't need to do this but I insist and soon it will just become second nature to head out for our evening walk. I bought some Dawgs recently that I am hoping to wear on the trip so I wore those yesterday to see how it will go and they were good. We shall see as our walks get a little longer.

YES! I remember our first trip, I didn't do anything and ended up miserable and sore after our first day! Ever since I've started using our elliptical and the walking track to prepare. Our trip in November will be my oldest DS first trip that he won't be able to use a stroller at all. He had a massive growth spurt around Christmas and is almost as tall as me now, so he's walking with me to build his endurance also!

We are planning a trip in November and have not told the kids yet. They are eight and nine and are horrible walkers. I have told them for the last two years that they need to work on their Disney legs before we put a trip together. We are certainly going but I'm not sure how to get them geared up if this is going to be a surprise trip. I would love suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter