Starbucks Opens at Disney World: What Would Walt Say?

You hit it square...and highlight beautifully how silly the "uproar" has been. It's just nonsense.

That...and the bakery products were never that good. Just weren't. People need to objectively separate their stomach from their surroundings...

If you got one of those stickybuns from a place in Iowa...it would have been just "ok"

:worship: DisneyPrincess83 :worship:

Well said!

:thumbsup2 Thank you both :)

They should put one in Starbucks. There is nothing for coffee drinkers or pasteries or anything resembling breakfast for children who want to eat somethng when they get there.:coffee:

I'm glad to see others have made the points I was going to make. While I'm not a fan of Starbucks (or coffee in general) just because they are everywhere, I don't see how it is that different from Carnation or Dole Whip. And you'd better not dare touch my Dole Whip.

I'm glad to see others have made the points I was going to make. While I'm not a fan of Starbucks (or coffee in general) just because they are everywhere, I don't see how it is that different from Carnation or Dole Whip. And you'd better not dare touch my Dole Whip.

But I don't like Dole Whips so I don't see WHY they have to be in the Magic Kingdom! ;)

You can have your Dole Whip, I'll have my Starbucks and no one gets hurt. :lmao:

The sound of the ball being dropped by Dis imagineers and then rolling into the gutter where it deflated. Charbucks is ok if one is a sugar freak but for coffee black it's sadly uninspired.

Now you just hit the target. Good coffee should be the goal. Guess it shouldn't make a difference on what brand, but good coffee is hard to find at WDW. I just take a break from drinking all coffee in FL. Not sure if it the coffee or the water, but I end up throwing most of it away. Don't drink caffeinated soda anywhere. So maybe its not such a bad idea to flush the caffeine out of my system every now and again!!! Stick with good old H2O!!

I think the reason why there is so many different opinions and people backing up Walt Disney with previous sponsorships is because there is confusion about what is going on here with the Starbucks. I admit, I was APPALLED when the announcement came out that Starbucks would be in MK. Put it in Downtown Disney? Couldn't care less. Plop it right in the middle of an old time America? That is not ok. The confusion seems to be though that some people think that Main Street Bakery is staying while Starbucks is just sponsoring the location and serving its products, like The Plaza. Others are saying Starbucks is TAKING OVER the location and Main Street Bakery will BECOME Starbucks. I don't mind the sponsorships, I realize they're all over the parks and Walt was very aware of that. I do have a problem with corporate establishments taking over the very mom and pop shops that Main Street USA is meant to represent.

Well, this thread keeps popping up now and then, so I guess I'll post my 2¢ worth.

The question is generically what would Walt say about a Starbucks in WDW. But the original post and the responses are generally about the Starbucks taking over the bakery and what he would say about that. Personally, I think those are two separate questions and have two different, even opposing answers.

What would he say about Starbucks at WDW?
He's say this: :thumbsup2

Given that his plans for EPCOT involved corporations being part of a small city within The Florida Project, it would certainly seem that he'd be in favor of a brand name being prominent within WDW.

He'd be happy with Starbucks in EPCOT, DHS, and to a lesser extent, AK. And even under the right circumstances, Starbucks in the MK.

What would he say about Starbucks taking over the MK bakery?
His response would be: :mad:

I believe he wanted the stores themselves to be generic. Yet he had no problem with selling corporate items within those stores. The pictures of Casey's posted by ThurlFan is a perfect example of what I mean. It's not a "Coca-Cola" store, it's Casey's -- which sells Coca-Cola products.

To this point, I believe Walt would have been fine with allowing Starbucks into the bakery, placing a Starbucks logo outside, and selling their coffee there. This would make it a bakery that sells Starbucks coffee, but not an actual Starbucks.

It's another thing to remove the bakery all together en lieu of a Starbucks. This is something I do not believe he would like. It goes against the intent of Main Street.

----

As for my personal feelings, I don't like Starbucks just because their coffee is bitter. I don't like bitter coffee. I have to put in a crazy amount of sugar to get it just to the bitter side of bitter-sweet.

I don't like the mere concept of what they've done to the bakery. But, I must be honest. On my last trip, I made a stop there on purpose, and nothing caught my fancy. I suppose I can withstand the loss of the bakery, but not at the expense of replacing it with a brand name. But if a name HAD to go and replace it, I would have preferred Duncan Donuts. There's not one near me, but they make good coffee and good donuts.

Shoulda kept the bakery and tried adding in a company that actually produces good coffee

Good Coffee is subjective. I like Starbucks, you don't. If you don't like it, don't drink it :) I don't like Coke, but I don't complain that it's sold in the parks, I just don't buy it.

Guess I use the word coffee loosely here. What they're really about is making coffee flavored drinks. I'm just lamenting a lost opportunity and some lazy imagineering.

Good Coffee is subjective. I like Starbucks, you don't. If you don't like it, don't drink it :) I don't like Coke, but I don't complain that it's sold in the parks, I just don't buy it.

Yeah, it's literally a matter of taste. I seem to recall bringing some Pepsi with me into the parks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!