Starbucks Opens at Disney World: What Would Walt Say?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Rumors Rocks, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Rumors Rocks

Rumors Rocks Mouseketeer

Starbucks Opens at Disney World: What Would Walt Say? http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/starbucks-opens-disney-world-walt-141500682.html

[​IMG]

This article takes on a more neutral tone.

Disney removes Main Street Bakery in favor of Starbucks http://investorplace.com/2013/06/disney-world-gets-first-starbucks-controversy-ensues/

The DIS blog article: Starbucks opens at the Magic Kingdom! http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/06/18/starbucks-opens-at-the-magic-kingdom/

I agree and will miss the bakery but the new coffee house looks pretty darn good and the world did not end. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. theelfqueen

theelfqueen Mouseketeer

4. Cafeen

Cafeen DIS Veteran

Walt would be happy. He was big into corporate sponsorship and used it to a huge advantage in Disneyland. Not sure why people are shocked at this... while right down the street the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor is sponsored by Edy's and Casey's Corner is sponsored by Coca-Cola.

5. superme80

superme80 DIS Veteran

He would say, "Can the Starbucks and bring on the Dutch Bros!" Or at least I hope he would say that. :rotfl2:

6. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~I just want to address the Casey's Corner & Plaza Ice Cream that's constantly thrown around on these boards as some kind of justification for what was done to bakery. It isn't. I'm happy for those who are thrilled about Starbucks, but for me there was only one Main Street Bakery while Starbucks is comprised of over 21,000 worldwide and of that over 13,000 are USA locations.

~Anyway, using Casey's Corner and Plaza Ice Cream is like just like Liberty Tree Tavern -- it's still apples and oranges, actually LTT is the best of the three, at least "Tavern" is more specific. "Corner" is an ambiguous term that can easily encompass any variety of salable goods. They could sell Beats headphones here and no one would care.

[​IMG]

Plaza Ice Cream -- is an *ice cream* shop. It doesnt matter who Disney uses as the sponsor -- whether it be Cold Stone, Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, Baskin Robbins, Culvers, or whatever. The point is I can still get any ice cream specialty at any time during normal operating hours, the place still remains as an ice cream establishment. There is a menu dedicated to ice cream. I don't have to wait until a certain time in order for coffee beverages and other non Disney items to be sold in order to pick from from a few random items of whatever was left over from the other ice cream shops. So Edy's as a sponsor is a natural fit as they make "ice cream." And again, Casey's "Corner" can be anything.

~Liberty Tree Tavern serves no liquor but the menu is open to interpretation.

[​IMG]

~The Main Street Bakery was gutted and replaced with Starbucks Coffee. It's a Coffee Chain not a bakery -- that offers a selection of baked goods to accommodate the drink menu.

~Starbucks has never marketed themselves as a "bakery." If this were a Cinnabon, Dunkin Donuts, Dominique Ansel (omg, I wish) or any bakehouse whose central focus is committed to producing baked goods, I probably would not care "as much."

~Ideally, I think the Main Street would have been fine offering Joffrey's coffee and putting Starbucks in Fantasyland. I don't frequent the bakery, but I will miss the wonderful scents in the morning -- sorry but cold scones and lemon loafs won't work.

~The Main Street products may have been mass produced, but it gave the "illusion" and embraced the ambiance of a classic old world bakery. I think that's what people either loved and hated about it, lol. And, Peter Pan isn't real either, but it's magical for so many for a reason.

~By the way, here is the previous Main Street Bakery menu.

~Old Main Street Bakery Menu

~Here is Disney's Official "Main Street Bakery Menu."

~Main Street Bakery Menu~ The rest of the Starbucks food menu is missing but it includes all of the Starbucks pastries including their Cinnamon Roll and their breakfast and lunch offerings.

~As you can see, the changes on the menu are significant for those who lost their favorite baked items -- it's not the end of the world but I can empathize with their disappointment.

~Again, I don't frequent the Main Street Bakery, we have a light breakfast at the resort, so there is no emotional attachment for me. Once we're in the park(s), we head straight for the rides!

~This is a bit of an aside, but I was sad to hear that the majority of The Main Street Bakery staff quit with the arrival of Starbucks. Apparently, they had no desire to mix drinks all day and learning the new menu and all the options were a pain.

~It has also been said that this place was incredibly difficult to staff due to the complexity of the drinks menu among other things. I wonder how the tipping thing works at the Disney Starbucks because tipping is a significant aspect of the Starbucks experience.

~And, I'm also surprised with all of the "empty" store reports I've been reading. Since the store has opened there has barely been a line, but guests are reporting having to wait 30 minutes for drinks. It's summer, so I expected the lines to be massively long.

~LOL, I just got an email from Starbucks. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

[​IMG]

~Yay, for free tea! This is rare -- so whip out that Gold card and make it happen! :drinking1 :goodvibes

7. ChipnDale79

ChipnDale79 Mouseketeer

I'm about 50/50 on the starbucks thing, the reason why I'm for it is because I love the coffee, I don't drink it often but it would be a great way to start the day at the park. What I dont like about it, and I could be wrong on this part, but I believe they replaced the bakery items with the typical Starbucks bakery items. I'm not a fan at all, we can get those items at the thousands of Starbucks around the world, why not mix the coffee with the old bakery items?

8. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

I think it would make more sense to have the starbucks shops at the resorts rather than in the parks. In most morning rituals, the coffee comes first, or at least long before waiting at a bus stop, a bus ride, and a walk into a park.

While I do think starbucks roasters are among the best in the business, I rarely buy a morning beverage at starbucks. I buy their beans and make espresso at home, where I can have it without a trip. ( And I bring my mini espresso machine along to Dis).

Starbucks shops are a place for people to hang out, study, do some work correspondence, etc. I don't see this happening in the parks. Won't be surprised if they are not so busy.

9. disneygirly

disneygirly Mouseketeer

That menu looks pretty extensive. Quite a lot of "bakery" items available.

10. Cafeen

Cafeen DIS Veteran

Except, the point of the first article was that by "letting" Starbucks sponsor the bakery (and include Starbucks options) it was somehow going against the original intent of the parks by bringing in outside sponsorship. When, in truth, the outside sponsorship has existed since Disneyland opened and was one of the things Walt himself was very big on. Their question was "What would Walt do?" because they failed to research the history of the parks and instead decided to put out a misleading, ill-informed, incendiary, piece of trash article. (You can check out Yesterland.com as well as many other similar sites for numerous histories of sponsored attractions, shops, and restaurants.)

(In fact, there's a case to be made that DL would not have been built in the first place without it!)

The changes in shop style are separate. Would you (and others) be as up in arms if it simply went Main St. Bakery to Main St. Coffee House with similar, non-Starbucks changes? Perhaps, but I feel from reading many, many posts across these boards that most people have issues with Starbucks and not so much the change in venue-style (which, you even allude to with our location counts.)

Now, don't get me wrong, I sympathize with those who see their much-loved bakery shift over to more of a coffee-house location, but change happens and the result isn't always our favorite thing. The issue that I take...well...issue with, is harping on the name rather than the change and bringing it up as if it were a completely new thing while insinuating that Disney has some how "sold-out" and going far away from Walt's original vision*. That part, simply isn't true.

*(Note: "Far away from Walt's vision" in regards to bringing outside sponsors. I'll agree that there are several other cases where this may be applicable.)

11. ChipnDale79

ChipnDale79 Mouseketeer

This.

I keep looking for an announcement regarding resorts and Starbucks, but nothing. Disney knows their business better than me, but I'm more likely to drop by a food court at my resort and pick up a Starbucks than grab one in the park. In fact, on vacation, I might do it twice during the day.

12. dwheaton

dwheaton Mouseketeer

With definite respect to everyone who's upset over this change, I think the "What Would Walt Think?" idea for Starbucks is pretty silly. I've gotten annoyed over small changes in the parks many times before, so I can sympathize with the anger. Even so, like others have said, Walt Disney built the parks on corporate sponsorship and worked directly with them to build many of his attractions.

The Disney company has had items from plenty of outside vendors in their parks for many years. I think the fact that it's a big company like Starbucks is what's changing the feeling on this one. For me, I'd much rather see their products then McDonald's, which had a big role for a while.

I will say that I don't visit the parks as often as some, so I'm not as tied to specific items that were in the bakery. That could definitely change my opinion if I was there more frequently.

13. disneygirly

disneygirly Mouseketeer

What type of mini espresso machine do you bring? I was thinking of doing that too.

14. Castle2Castle

Castle2Castle Disney Runner

I'm with others that Walt probably would have been fine with the idea, if not proposing it himself, given the history of corporate sponsorship.

If the bakery were doing half as well as the uproar would have you believe, I don't think they'd have much incentive to invite Starbucks into the space. More likely that there are few and far between among those complaining who actually frequented the bakery, thus making Starbucks' inclusion in the space seem more economically attractive. Whether it works out as well as they hope or not, I think more people are complaining to be complaining than from having actually lost something they cherish. ($0.02)

15. Castle2Castle

Castle2Castle Disney Runner

At least according to this article from two days ago:

It is quite clear from the layout of the new bakery that Disney are expecting it to be extremely busy, and based on this morning's opening they are right. The queue was at capacity on both sides, and the plentiful number of cast members were cranking out the drinks at a quick pace.

16. Tasha08

Tasha08 Earning My Ears

I haven't been to Disney yet and I love Starbucks, but I do hate that it pushes local businesses out.

17. Spacedog1975

Spacedog1975 Mouseketeer

I made a point to visit both the Main Street Bakery and the Fountain View in December. To be honest, I'm more sorry to see Fountain View go. My only hope with MK is that the theming of main street be left intact.

18. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

Believe it or not, it's an old Mr Coffee that makes 4 shots of espresso max at a run, no pump-- all on steam pressure-- works great once you figure out the timing for getting the milk steamed before it runs out-- got it for 5 bucks at good will. My home machine is a DeLonghi.

19. Bob NC

Bob NC DIS Veteran<br><font color="red">I am a trained pr

Some folks just have a mysterious, unexplainable hate for Starbucks.

I talk to people who make a face when Starbucks is mentioned, they hate the place and everything it stands for, and in many cases they have never crossed the threshold of a Starbucks. These are the same people who continually talk about a cup of coffee there being "5 bucks, 6 bucks" and one one recent post on another thread somebody said Starbucks coffee is "8 bucks." I have never paid anywhere near those amounts for a S'bucks coffee.

Some of these people are the same ones who also have some inherent distaste for cell phones and the people that talk on them. "Look at that guy over there trying to impress everyone by talking on his cell phone", lolol.

And........Get that ball off my lawn.

20. csm101

csm101 EH

Yep I hate Starbucks, Give me my timmies double double anytime.

21. Oh So ONO

Oh So ONO Earning My Ears

The OP article mentioned 2000 people signed a anti Starbucks petition. I'm quite sure the new bakery will serve more people than that on a daily basis.

Then you have the comparison to the ice cream parlor and Casey's Corner. Both of which have corporate sponsors. Edy's is not hated here, Why? It's owned my the largest food company in the world. It's also a "modern" company with respect to the Main Street "theme".

Worse things have happened. Like putting Johnny Depp inside a classic Disney ride. Some say that bold change made the ride better. People want Star Wars and Marvel in the Disney Parks. But remodeling a bakery on Main Street U.S.A., and "plussing it" (Walt's words) with a sponsorship and product from one of America's premiere companies is supposed to be bad? I don't get it.

Perhaps those up in arms now understand how many of us felt over the Depp thing. I personally got over, and even excepted it, even though I've never seen a single POTC movie. And as for the bakery thing. I have no problem paying all that money for a Disney escape, and still being able to enjoy my favorite Starbucks beverage. For most of us, it's the best of both worlds.