Star Wars themed lands announced for DL and DHS

Not anything about Toontown or Big Thunder Ranch, but it appears that they're beginning the merchandising events already!
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/force-friday-merchandise-event-details-released/

I saw the title of that blog pop up in my RSS feed earlier, and I never bothered to read it to see what it was about! :lmao:

Well, they are jumping full throttle into all things Star Wars. First, this Force Friday. Then we have the (probable) opening of the Launch Bay in October. The new Star Tours film/adventure is supposed to open later this year. I think that the Magic Eye Theater will probably be used for something Star Wars-related (maybe a premiere or some other event). The actual movie opens in December. Jedi Training Academy is getting refreshed a bit. And then... early next year (my guess is that it could be soon after the holiday season ends in January)... Season of the Force, featuring Hyperspace Mountain.

Who knows when the actual land/galaxy will even open? I can't imagine that it would open any earlier than 2019, but probably more like 2020?? :confused: And if there is going to be an entrance point to Star Wars Land near Toontown, if Toontown didn't get downsized it would at least need to be re-themed or reconfigured to make the transition to Star Wars Land more logical.

Well, wherever this new land is going (other than just the Big Thunder Ranch), it's going to be interesting to see how it all comes together!

attachment.php

This map was posted on another forum by Lightofdarkness. According to what hints he gets from his sources, Star Wars would not be impinging on ToonTown, but TT will be changed. The red will go, the blue will be a new Mickey and Minnie meet and greet, the rest including Rodger Rabbit will stay.A new Be Our Guest type restaurant would go in somewhere in the red area.

Heres his quote: Quote: I've gotten to know a few backstage folks who are being moved around with all the Star Wars land prep, and they've been saying that the quote about Toon Town was VERY particular in its wording. Star Wars will not be replacing Toon Town. That statement does NOT mean that Toon Town is safe.

They're saying a Fantasyland expansion will be brought over to balance the crowds from Star Wars. Be Our Guest and Arrendale, Mickey and Minnie meet and greet will move and Roger will be the remaining element of Toon Town.

It's just backstage rumors, but what are you're odds on this? I'm giving it a 50/50 shot based off my sources... Unquote.

And here is his comment on the map .. Quote .:As for details, tight lipped. Based on the little they were willing to spill, here's what I pictured, and they won't tell me how close I am: Red is gone for the new fantasy features, blue will be the relocated Mickey MG, and the rest stays.......... Unquote.

IMHO a Be Our Guest type restaurant themed to Frozen would be a big crowd pleaser. Keeping RRCTS and M&M meet and greet would somewhat please TT fans.

I didn't take this to mean that it would be a Be Our Guest restaurant themed to Frozen. I took it as a Be Our Guest restaurant and an Arendale section (maybe they'd move the A&E M&G here). Interesting news. I'd be sad to see that area go, if so.

You know darn well that that is just another one of their many big fat lies that they enjoy fabricating. It has happened before.

I find it interesting that you're still spouting off about lies on the rumor sites when a) they're rumors: even if they don't happen, who's to say there wasn't a discussion at some point? and b) You were dead sure that rumors about a Star Wars land were lies... and then they announced Star Wars Land. http://www.disboards.com/threads/rumor-when-is-toontown-closing.3387996/page-4#post-54229419 Maybe just chill?

I guess what I don't get is if they were going to do something to Toontown related to Fantasyland, why didn't they announce it at D23?

I didn't take this to mean that it would be a Be Our Guest restaurant themed to Frozen. I took it as a Be Our Guest restaurant and an Arendale section (maybe they'd move the A&E M&G here).

I know Lightofdarkness said a Be Our Guest restaurant AND an Arendale section. I was just expressing my In My Humble Opinion that a BOG restaurant themed to Frozen would be a big draw..Not to me however .Too pricey and I don`t care for the Frozen characters.

Isn't the demand for Frozen letting up a bit already? And given how long it would take for Disney to do anything like this, it seems like it could be a fairly risky thing to dedicate a section of the park to it at this point.

I know Lightofdarkness said a Be Our Guest restaurant AND an Arendale section. I was just expressing my In My Humble Opinion that a BOG restaurant themed to Frozen would be a big draw..Not to me however .Too pricey and I don`t care for the Frozen characters.
Oh, I see!

Isn't the demand for Frozen letting up a bit already? And given how long it would take for Disney to do anything like this, it seems like it could be a fairly risky thing to dedicate a section of the park to it at this point.
Yes... but when they are ready to do it, seems like right around the time Frozen 2 would be out.

Yes... but when they are ready to do it, seems like right around the time Frozen 2 would be out.

When is Frozen 2 coming out? I guess I don't have much faith in their ability to get something done quickly.

Yes, I think the demand for Frozen is letting up a bit. The BOG restaurant in Florida is themed after Beauty and the Beast, how long ago did that come out. I was just expressing the idea that instead of a clone of BOG , Disney could theme a restaurant after Arendale , something more recent.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the demand for Frozen is letting up a bit. The BOG restaurant in Florida is themed after Beauty and the Beast, how long ago did that come out. I was just expressing the idea that instead of a clone of BOG , Disney could theme a restaurant after Arendale .

No problem. I see your point. I know it's popular to hate on Frozen here on the DIS, but I actually sort of like the idea. :duck: So much of what was announced at D23 was boy-centric that it would be nice to have something new for the girls. (And yes, before everyone else answers, I know some girls love Star Wars).

It's interesting to consider it all. I love BOG (have eaten there 6 times) and understand it was a home run for Disney. But I'm also curious to see if something similar could have that level of success in DL where character meals are not as big a deal as they are at WDW.

When is Frozen 2 coming out? I guess I don't have much faith in their ability to get something done quickly.

We had awesome seats for the Animation session at the D23 Expo and if I recall correctly they did mention Frozen 2 but did not give any details. They did discuss many of the movies coming out in the next few years. But nothing on Frozen 2. To me that means it is at least 3 years away and probably 4-5 years.

:wizard:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a restaurant or a section of Fantasyland devoted to "Beauty & the Beast," no matter how old the movie is! :lmao: I liked that movie 100 times more than I liked Frozen! (I know, I know.... don't shoot me, Frozen fans! :lmao:)

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a restaurant or a section of Fantasyland devoted to "Beauty & the Beast," no matter how old the movie is! :lmao: I liked that movie 100 times more than I liked Frozen! (I know, I know.... don't shoot me, Frozen fans! :lmao:)

I'd take either one really. I hope you can get to WDW to see BOG one day Sherry. It really is outstanding.

When it says "Be our Guest" style, what does that mean? The only character meal I've ever done in WDW was a safari breakfast with Donald Duck in 2003.

Oh -- almost forgot! Since I keep an eagle eye on all seasonal food items that hit the store shelves for Fall/Halloween and for the Holiday Season (not just Disney-related store shelves, but any kind of store), I happened to notice that Star Wars is not being left out of the mix. Behold... Nestle Coffee-Mate Star Wars Limited Edition Pack Darth Vader Espresso Chocolate and Chewbacca Spiced Latte Creamers! :lmao: Here - http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/word...hocolate-and-chewbacca-spiced-latte-creamers/.

I must admit -- the packaging is pretty cool. Who knew that a Coffee Mate bottle could lend itself so well to Darth Vader and Chewbacca images?

It looks like there is another one as well, which I didn't know about - http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/word...imited-edition-star-wars-italian-sweet-cream/.

When it says "Be our Guest" style, what does that mean? The only character meal I've ever done in WDW was a safari breakfast with Donald Duck in 2003.
Be Our Guest (BOG) in the Magic Kingdom is a counter service location for part of the day (e.g., lunch) and then switches over to become a table service location later in the day (e.g., dinner). It's not really a classical character meal because there are no characters when it's a counter service venue. At dinner, the Beast is available to meet guests after they finish their meal (he does not come to guests tables in the dining rooms), so even in that way it's not a normal character meal.

I liked BOG at the Magic Kingdom (the West Wing, lobby and exterior are amazing, but the Ballroom was kind of disappointing), but I'd hope that if DLR does opt to do something like this, they would do something that is unique to DLR instead of just cloning BOG. That's one of things I enjoy the most about the two resorts; the things that are unique/different.

Last edited:
I guess what I don't get is if they were going to do something to Toontown related to Fantasyland, why didn't they announce it at D23?

This was my thought too. It's not to say an expansion couldn't happen, but I doubt that Toon Town is closing in 3 weeks. They just don't have the schedule out for Toon Town yet as the area does not have the same operating hours as the rest of the park. Besides, no matter how they worded it on Twitter, it would be bad form for Disney to comfort guests that Toon Town wasn't being replaced by Star Wars only to have it suddenly close without any announcement on these Fantasyland plans. They may choose to demolish part of Toon Town and replace it with more Fantasyland. It could certainly happen. I think you'd have some excited guests for a restaurant like Be our Guest and anything Frozen, but I also think you'd have some angry guests if you take out about 6 "attractions" and replace them only with a restaurant and Meet and Greets that already exist and are only being moved. Time will tell what happens.

Change in the parks doesn't bother me too much, but we enjoy Gadget's coaster and there are no other "thrill" rides for children under 40". And the Star Wars stuff is not being geared to toddlers. Those rides will have height requirements of at least 40", possibly greater. When they expanded Fantasyland at WDW they built a new ride (Mermaid), rethemed an existing kiddie coaster, built a new family coaster, and expanded the capacity of Dumbo along with a play area for waiting. That's an expansion! Bulldozing a "loved" area for tots to build another restaurant and more places to spend money (photo opportunities, princess clothes, etc.) is not much of an expansion to get excited about.

This was my thought too. It's not to say an expansion couldn't happen, but I doubt that Toon Town is closing in 3 weeks. They just don't have the schedule out for Toon Town yet as the area does not have the same operating hours as the rest of the park. Besides, no matter how they worded it on Twitter, it would be bad form for Disney to comfort guests that Toon Town wasn't being replaced by Star Wars only to have it suddenly close without any announcement on these Fantasyland plans. They may choose to demolish part of Toon Town and replace it with more Fantasyland. It could certainly happen. I think you'd have some excited guests for a restaurant like Be our Guest and anything Frozen, but I also think you'd have some angry guests if you take out about 6 "attractions" and replace them only with a restaurant and Meet and Greets that already exist and are only being moved. Time will tell what happens.

Change in the parks doesn't bother me too much, but we enjoy Gadget's coaster and there are no other "thrill" rides for children under 40". And the Star Wars stuff is not being geared to toddlers. Those rides will have height requirements of at least 40", possibly greater. When they expanded Fantasyland at WDW they built a new ride (Mermaid), rethemed an existing kiddie coaster, built a new family coaster, and expanded the capacity of Dumbo along with a play area for waiting. That's an expansion! Bulldozing a "loved" area for tots to build another restaurant and more places to spend money (photo opportunities, princess clothes, etc.) is not much of an expansion to get excited about.

They're also putting a kiddie coaster in the new Toy Story Land at WDW too, aren't they?

I think DLR definitely needs to have at least one thrill ride for little ones.

While I don't think that the entirety of Toontown is safe in the bigger picture, and I think that at least part of it would have to be lopped off or re-themed if there is going to be another entrance to Star Wars Land somewhere around that general area, it would seem odd to just close it by 9/13 and call it a day, and then begin cutting off 3/4 of it to make way for a Fantasyland expansion, without a word to the public about that expansion.

I don't know all the logistics of what needs to be moved to where, and how it's done, but seeing that the areas behind Toontown are supposedly going to be cleared out for Star Wars Land, maybe there will be times when Toontown needs to close if things are being moved around or moved through Toontown. I have no idea.

Out of all of the info that was released/announced at D23, there are still so many mysteries!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter